[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Are they both the exact same icon (same quality, same style)? Do they both change states? It's possible that it's some issue with a new version of the toolbar. I'll check it out

They are the exact same icon, both look exactly the same 100% and change to notify me of new science I can get and such. When I switch to use blizzy's toolbar it will make the icon I used disappear while the second one remains until I click on it at which point it disappears. I only see 1 icon when using blizzy's toolbar but I prefer using the stock toolbar since it looks a little bit better in my opinion.

Oh man, I discovered a bug in the most neat-ass way. Was sending a blimp-based whor-er, science lab to Duna and had the return stage mounted under it, and decided to snag an EVA report on the way down - except I had both passengers in the lab module and nobody in the lander can on the return vehicle and forgot about it. Lo and behold, after mashing the EVA button a few times someone finally came out - of the lander, while two other folks were in the lab. The first occupant of the science lab got cloned and punted out the lander can's hatch, and now it's Bob, Andrew and Anti-Andrew figuring out what to do.

Interesting bug just happened... I copied my KSP save and mods directories from my home PC and brought them to my work PC. After loading up my save file and transferring to my ship via the Space Center, the ScienceAlert button does not show.

I attempted to delete and re-install the mod. I even re-installed the game fresh, using a fresh download of the mod, but nothing gets it to show up. I haven't done anything different to the save other than to transfer it. I quite a few mods installed, but they did not conflict before. I edited Engineer to not use the stock toolbar (only mod I have that uses it) to see if that would get it to show, and still nothing.

I launched a new ship on the current save, and the ScienceAlert button DID show. So this bug of it not showing only occurred when switching to my in-flight ship.

I exited my save (without restarting the whole game), and started a new one, and the ScienceAlert button is where it should be.

If you need more info, please let me know what I can do.

I'm having similar problems too!

In fact, now I can't even see the ScienceAlert icon in the Toolbar's "Configure Visible Buttons" list.

I'm having similar problems too!

In fact, now I can't even see the ScienceAlert icon in the Toolbar's "Configure Visible Buttons" list.

The mod seems be fantastic but I'm having the same problem !

I think it isn't even installed : I can't hear the bubbles when new science is available.

[ Ksp 23.5 ; ScienceAlert 1.6 ]

Do your other science experiments work normally? Usually when the button doesn't appear it's because something broke in initialization and it's almost always due to duplicate experimentids. I'm writing in some checks against this in the next version that should let you know whenever this is the case

Looks like this has already been reported but it appears the evaReports are not working...The other ones still appear to work for me (mobileMaterialsLab, mysteryGoo, temperatureScan are the ones that worked this last time). That being said it looks like the sound notification stopped working...

This is for the x64 version with ScienceAlert 1.7.1, havn't tested it with the x86 one

if you need more info i'll be happy to help

Great mod when it works, thanks!!!

I seem to be having quite an odd issue. The toolbar icon shows / animates fine, but when I click it to show what type of science I can do, the very bottom of the bar + science button flickers extremely fast. You can still click it, it's just visually jarring. Doesn't seem to matter if you have one option to click, or ten, it flickers, but just at the bottom of the menu along with the last option on the list.

One thing I noticed is when I move the camera around and the menu hits an area where clouds are present it starts flickering again. When I look away the flickering stops and then when my mouse is still the flickering proceeds to return. I'll try to get some pictures for you, it's just quite difficult to get a decent set of them. The last thing I should mention is this never happened when we had the 0.23.5 version.

Regardless of flickering or not, this is still one of top five utility mods, flickering or not ;)

Keep up the awesome work!

I seem to be having quite an odd issue. The toolbar icon shows / animates fine, but when I click it to show what type of science I can do, the very bottom of the bar + science button flickers extremely fast.

This is with Blizzy's toolbar right? I've got that one on my list of bugs to exterminate. It'll be fixed in the next version :)

This is a great mod, and I love the fact that there is an option to kill the warp when new science is detected.

I did notice a bug last night, though. Gravity scans which are already stored on the ship are triggering an alert. For instance, when travelling over Kerbin's shores, I will take a gravity scan, EVA and store it in the command pod. A few minutes later, I will be alerted that a gravity scan can be performed for the same biome. When I perform the scan, EVA and store, I am informed that the report is already stored in the pod. The only way I've been able to stop this trigger is by keeping the scan in the gravioli detector.

Edited by wildcardjoker

I'll check it out. What filter did you set for gravity scan? Do you have a lab on your vessel that you're using to reset the gravity scan, or modified cfg?

I suspect you have the gravity scan filter set to something other than unresearched and that getting a second report (even though you can't store it in your command pod) is triggering an alert. ScienceAlert doesn't know that you're storing all the reports in a pod with a no duplicate restriction; all it knows is that you have x% of science for a particular subject (counting any science already gathered plus what you'll get for returning any science onboard), that percent is less than the filter %, you have an unused experiment of the right type available and that taking another report is worth at least whatever min threshold is set to

You can enable report values in the options to see what the next report is worth, or open the log (Alt+F2) after the alert is triggered to see some details about why it was triggered.

If this is not the case, I'd be very interested in seeing your logs. You've got me thinking about adding some visual cue as a warning that you'll have to leave the data in the experiment to retrieve it if there's nowhere else on the vessel you could store it. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes

OK, I tried another mission tonight. While orbiting the Mun, I received an alert that a Gravity scan was available for the East Crater. I performed the scan, EVA'd Jeb, and took the data from the detector. I re-boarded the ship and performed a warp, and the warp dropped back to 1x after a few seconds. An alert was generated for the East Crater again - I performed the scan, EVA'd Jeb, and took the data again. When I re-boarded the command pod, KSP told me that the experiment could not be stored.

All filters were set to alert if an experiment was not maxed out, and warp kill was on for all experiments.

I'm afraid that it was only just now that I saw the suggestion to open the log and see the trigger details - I will try that again tomorrow.

I tried again tonight, and repeatedly receive gravity scan alerts. Here's the log entries:

ScienceAlert, Experiment gravityScan@MunInSpaceHighEastFarsideCrater just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 0 (Cap is 66, threshold is NotMaxed, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 60)

... wait a few seconds ...

ScienceAlert, Experiment gravityScan@MunInSpaceHighEastFarsideCrater just became available! Total potential science onboard currently: 60 (Cap is 66, threshold is NotMaxed, current sci is 0, expected next report value: 5.454544) - this scan cannot be stored on the command pod, as the previous scan is already stored.

All filters were set to alert if an experiment was not maxed out, and warp kill was on for all experiments.

It's working as intended (for now), then. ScienceAlert doesn't know what you're doing with the reports. It only knows that you have configured it to alert you whenever a report would generate science points and that you have an open experiment to use.

You can see that taking a duplicate report would result in about 5.45 science. That you can't fit it into the command pod isn't taken into consideration at all

That makes sense. It would be great if the experiments stored in the pod were taken into account.

For now, I will perform the experiment and leave it in there until another one is required. Thanks for looking into it!

They are taken into account. If the mod didn't take them into account, it would have thought you'd get 60 points for the report. It instead thought you'd get 5.5 (about) for it. I bet if you actually took that report and went home to recover, you'd get 65.5ish science from those two scans.

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod!

I have a feature request. If I have a probe that can transmit but isn't going to return, then I only want to be alerted if there's something I can transmit. "Not maxed" will still alert even when there's zero transmit value. I guess I want a "Not maxed transmittable" option. :)

You're welcome!

I have a feature request. If I have a probe that can transmit but isn't going to return, then I only want to be alerted if there's something I can transmit. "Not maxed" will still alert even when there's zero transmit value.

This'll be the in next version (barring any unforeseen difficulties). I needed to implement per-vessel settings to make this work the way I wanted, otherwise every time you flipped between ships you'd have to change them and it could be annoying pretty fast

They are the exact same icon, both look exactly the same 100% and change to notify me of new science I can get and such. When I switch to use blizzy's toolbar it will make the icon I used disappear while the second one remains until I click on it at which point it disappears. I only see 1 icon when using blizzy's toolbar but I prefer using the stock toolbar since it looks a little bit better in my opinion.

Also experiencing this. Using 32-bit version. System specs and mods in sig.

• 2 weeks later...
Science alert seems to throw out some orange errors in the output_log

Is this the right log? The only error related to ScienceAlert directly (that I see with a glance) is an exception involving a duplicate dictionary key which is fortunately harmless and fixed in the next version. Which portion in particular are you referring to?