[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Hi xEvilReeperx, I've run into an incompatibility with other mods using Contracts. This mod is blocking the ability for contracts to complete science transmission. IE: If a contract requires science to be transmitted or recovered then transmitting the data does NOT complete the contract.

Completion of science in contracts is usually done by most mods via a GameEvents.OnScienceReceived callback, but your mod seems to be blocking this.

I tested it with several mods, and the science transmission on contracts does not complete with this mod installed. When this mod is removed, it works fine.

EDIT: Never mind, it was 1.8.5. Works now with 1.8.6.

Edited by JPLRepo

@JPLRepo:

I've not had this problem. I transmit data and it is received and the contract notes it. I use other Contract mods as well.

Yeah it was 1.8.5. Works now with 1.8.6.

I'm experiencing an issue, and I'm not sure if it is this mod or not. It has started occurring since KSP 1.0 or so. I haven't played without the science alert mod.

I'm constantly getting alerts for science I have already done and transmitted or retrieved. For instance, when flying around in a little plane, and doing temp scans and crew reports, I radio them home. Once the transmission is complete, Science Alert immediately pops up another alert for the same thing. When I attempt to do the science again, the science window acts like I've never done it before, and is offering me full credit for doing the science experiment again. I don't know that this ever gets me additional science. This doesn't seem to happen when I'm outside of the atmosphere, only internal to it. Any ideas?

I'm experiencing an issue, and I'm not sure if it is this mod or not. It has started occurring since KSP 1.0 or so. I haven't played without the science alert mod.

I'm constantly getting alerts for science I have already done and transmitted or retrieved. For instance, when flying around in a little plane, and doing temp scans and crew reports, I radio them home. Once the transmission is complete, Science Alert immediately pops up another alert for the same thing. When I attempt to do the science again, the science window acts like I've never done it before, and is offering me full credit for doing the science experiment again. I don't know that this ever gets me additional science. This doesn't seem to happen when I'm outside of the atmosphere, only internal to it. Any ideas?

Are you landed? If it's happening with EVA reports its because when a ship is landed it tells you you're missing the EVA report from the ground, but if yer holding the ladder, then it counts as flying.

You ought to check that those science reports are actually being transmitted and logged. When that happened to me I was suffering the bug where they weren't transmitting any data that was meant to be fixed in the 1.8.6 release. I dl'd the 1.8.6 release and ended up with two ScienceAlert windows in the toolbar. Deleting ScienceAlert from GameData still left me with one toolbar window which activated. I couldn't find a location for a file outside that directory that was persistent so wiped and reinstalled KSP entirely. I'm going to check with a secondary install

Deleting ScienceAlert from GameData still left me with one toolbar window which activated. I couldn't find a location for a file outside that directory that was persistent so wiped and reinstalled KSP entirely. I'm going to check with a secondary install

This is odd. Are you certain you haven't somehow got two installs? Everything for ScienceAlert will be under /GameData/ScienceAlert normally; however, my plugins will work even with renamed (top-level) folders or moved to wrong locations so it's possible you might have accidentally extracted the archive into another mod's folder or something like that

Otherwise I'd be interested in having a look at your log

Same here for me. Science will not be added at all! Removing the plugin got it working again. Also no "xx Science added" message after transmitting finished.

Same here for me. Science will not be added at all! Removing the plugin got it working again. Also no "xx Science added" message after transmitting finished.

Can you check which version you're running? If it's 1.8.6, your log and some reproduction steps would be much appreciated

I'm having the same issue.

Log says:

[LOG 13:32:54.679] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mun[ERR 13:32:54.712] ScienceAlert, Log.SaveInto being called now ...

[ERR 13:32:54.712] ScienceAlert, SaveInto from assembly ScienceAlert

[ERR 13:32:54.713] ScienceAlert, Current level is: Normal, Warning, Error

[LOG 13:32:54.713] ScienceAlert, Saving settings to C:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert/settings.cfg

You ought to check that those science reports are actually being transmitted and logged. When that happened to me I was suffering the bug where they weren't transmitting any data that was meant to be fixed in the 1.8.6 release. I dl'd the 1.8.6 release and ended up with two ScienceAlert windows in the toolbar. Deleting ScienceAlert from GameData still left me with one toolbar window which activated. I couldn't find a location for a file outside that directory that was persistent so wiped and reinstalled KSP entirely. I'm going to check with a secondary install

You are correct, they were not being transferred. I've completely deleted and reinstalled ScienceAlert. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

You are correct, they were not being transferred. I've completely deleted and reinstalled ScienceAlert. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have fixed it. Sorry for not trying that before. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

So.. found a bug with science alert and the external command seats. Allows for infinite cloning of your kerbals. Here's a youtube vid of me demonstrating the effect to create a small army of val's

https://youtu.be/yJUeu9RmQmo

Thanks for the report and video. Does your log mention any exceptions? I thought I'd squished this bug

Thanks for the report and video. Does your log mention any exceptions? I thought I'd squished this bug

To be honest, I didn't look in the log, I can rerun it and check the log, and even post an output log for you if you want/need it, just let me know. It'll probably be tomorrow soonest though.

hey I had the same thing happen to me an managed to reproduce it

same situation Kerbal in rover on command chair and disconnected from a ship with a capsule, the clone exits the capsule

only one ERR found

[LOG 10:29:29.757] [EVAPartResource] Caught OnCrewOnEva event to part () containing this resource (ElectricCharge)
[LOG 10:29:29.758] [00:00:00]: Jebediah Kerman from rover bay went on EVA.
[LOG 10:29:29.785] FF: vessel situation change for kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman), situation changed from FLYING to ESCAPING
[ERR 10:29:29.823] ScienceAlert, StorageCache: Active vessel is not monitored vessel.

[LOG 10:29:29.846] FF: vessel situation change for kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman), situation changed from ESCAPING to FLYING
[LOG 10:29:29.889] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman

Also there is a negative interaction with ScanSat when science allert is uninstalled ScanSat works ok, when it is installed the data collection goes as planned but when I try to send the data it shows starting and then straight to done without the actual transmission going through

the log says that's because there was zero science to transmit but when I do that With ScienceAlert uninstalled everything goes through as planned

[LOG 11:00:28.671] [SCANsat] Coverage: 100.0, Science cap: 30.0, Subject value: 1.50, Scientific value: 1.00, Science: 0.00
[LOG 11:00:28.672] [SCANsat] Remaining science: 30.0, Base value: 20.0
[LOG 11:00:28.672] [SCANsat] Resulting science value: 20.00
[LOG 11:00:34.175] ScienceAlert, Projected biome map in 35.21 seconds
[LOG 11:00:34.246] [SCANsat] Coverage: 100.0, Science cap: 30.0, Subject value: 1.50, Scientific value: 1.00, Science: 0.00
[LOG 11:00:34.247] [SCANsat] Remaining science: 30.0, Base value: 20.0
[LOG 11:00:34.247] [SCANsat] Resulting science value: 20.00
[LOG 11:00:34.250] Score for transmitter: 0.000 - Data Rate: 340282300000000000000000000000000000000.000 - Data Cost: 0.000
[LOG 11:00:34.251] Score for transmitter: 0.313 - Data Rate: 8.000 - Data Cost: 1.500
[LOG 11:00:34.251] Score for transmitter: 0.313 - Data Rate: 8.000 - Data Cost: 1.500
[LOG 11:00:34.252] Score for transmitter: 0.313 - Data Rate: 8.000 - Data Cost: 1.500
[LOG 11:00:34.252] Score for transmitter: 0.313 - Data Rate: 8.000 - Data Cost: 1.500

my modlist

"version": "provided by EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR"

"name": "PlanetShine-Config",
"version": "provided by AstronomersPack-PlanetShine"

"name": "ActiveTextureManagement",
"version": "provided by ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Aggressive"

"name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator",
"version": "4.0"

"name": "KerbalAlarmClock",
"version": "v3.3.0.1"

"name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
"version": "1.0.16.6"

"name": "ModuleManager",
"version": "2.6.2"

"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR",
"version": "7-4"

"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements",
"version": "7-4"

"name": "Toolbar",
"version": "1.7.9"

"name": "FinalFrontier",
"version": "0.7.15-1047"

"name": "EditorExtensions",
"version": "2.7"

"name": "ProceduralFairings",
"version": "v3.13"

"name": "ToadicusTools",
"version": "8a"

"name": "KerbalJointReinforcement",
"version": "v3.1.3"

"name": "PlanetShine",
"version": "0.2.2.3"

"name": "AstronomersPack-PlanetShine",
"version": "Interstellar.V2"

"name": "KronalVesselViewer",
"version": "0.0.4-1.0"

"name": "ScienceAlert",
"version": "1.8.6"

"name": "SolarScience",
"version": "v1.03"

"name": "AntennaRange",
"version": "1.8a"

"name": "EVAManager",
"version": "3"

"name": "PreciseNode",
"version": "1.1.3"

"name": "ActiveTextureManagement-x86-Aggressive",
"version": "5-0"

"name": "AlternateResourcePanel",
"version": "2.7.0.0"

"name": "Chatterer",
"version": "0.9.1"

"name": "CrowdSourcedScience",
"version": "v3.0"

"name": "UniversalStorage",
"version": "1.1.0.2"

"name": "CommunityResourcePack",
"version": "0.4.0"

"name": "DMagicOrbitalScience",
"version": "1.0.3"

"name": "ContractsWindowPlus",
"version": "5.1"

"name": "HotRockets",
"version": "1.0"

"name": "SmokeScreen",
"version": "2.6.0"

"name": "xScience",
"version": "4.2"

and not from CKAN
SCANSAT v11 rc6

the same behavior was for SCANSat v10
"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Config",

Edited by faraon
some words

epic suggestion: turn the list of possible science into a visual kethane-like planets overlays (within the r&d building maybe), where you can hover over and see where and which science is possible and which areas are fully exhausted of science

Edited by gendalf

To be honest, I didn't look in the log, I can rerun it and check the log, and even post an output log for you if you want/need it, just let me know. It'll probably be tomorrow soonest though.

Yes, I'm definitely interested. It'll help pinpoint exactly where to look for the problem

epic suggestion: turn the list of possible science into a visual kethane-like planets overlays (within the r&d building maybe), where you can hover over and see where and which science is possible and which areas are fully exhausted of science

I experimented with this way back when first starting ScienceAlert but the problem is that it doesn't quite fit within this mod's scope. I like the concept for a separate mod but it's a matter of available free time I'm afraid

Okay, got the bug reproduced, started a new game, loaded my rover design out of the SPH had Val in the command seat, and tried EVA reports from the seat, and watched her clones pop out of the empty command pod. No obvious [to me] errors in the debug log. Persistence, Outputlog, and some screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e3ivk2zilt0hb5u/AAA2gZxsJSBZrSkXfbk6obVga?dl=0

Getting some trouble with this and the latest version of the scantsat dev build (11.0rc6) cant recover the science from scansat, either with transmitting, eva or recovering the part.

Here's my post there

Can live without the science alerts for now, just making you aware and I look forward to your next patch!

The SCANsat science and kerbal duplicate bug are on my list of items to squash tonight so hopefully I'll have a fix for you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the reports and details.

Edit: 1.8.7 now released which should fix both issues

Edited by xEvilReeperx