[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Hey, question, I've been using this mod for a while, and I didn't ask sooner, 'cause I thought I was being stupid, but I can't get the mod to save my detection settings, actually they don't seem to work at all. I tried to set it up so that even if there's only .01 science left for any experiment, it should still prompt me for the experiment, but it won't. Also, when I exit the game, it resets my profile settings to the default, every time, no matter how many times I try to save it. Is there a guide of any kind for this? readme file, you tube video I missed? I have no idea if I'm being stupid, or if its bugged out for me.

Does your log mention any errors? Could you describe exactly which steps you take? Newly spawned vessels will get the "default" profile (which you can customize by overwriting) but after that, any changes you make to the vessel's settings should persist.

The following would help me:

1. Start a new career game
  2. Launch a mk1pod
  3. Open ScienceAlert settings and change anything, such as the "min science" slider. Just move it to a non-zero position
  4. The profile name should now be *default*
  5. Quicksave, then quickload
  6. Is the slider value correct? If not, logs + persistence file would help and stop here.
  7. Click "save" and accept the overwrite prompt
  8. Profile name should now be "default" with no stars
  9. Quicksave, then quickload
  10. Is the slider still correct? If not, logs + the profiles.cfg in ScienceAlert folder if it exists

Does your log mention any errors? Could you describe exactly which steps you take? Newly spawned vessels will get the "default" profile (which you can customize by overwriting) but after that, any changes you make to the vessel's settings should persist.

The following would help me:

1. Start a new career game
  2. Launch a mk1pod
  3. Open ScienceAlert settings and change anything, such as the "min science" slider. Just move it to a non-zero position
  4. The profile name should now be *default*
  5. Quicksave, then quickload
  6. Is the slider value correct? If not, logs + persistence file would help and stop here.
  7. Click "save" and accept the overwrite prompt
  8. Profile name should now be "default" with no stars
  9. Quicksave, then quickload
  10. Is the slider still correct? If not, logs + the profiles.cfg in ScienceAlert folder if it exists

I'll run some tests later, maybe today if I get the chance, maybe tomorrow, and I'll record it, and send you logs and such. I don't know if its a bug so much as I may be doing something wrong, but at least if you see what I'm doing, maybe you'll see what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Got a video up showing my issues, be they actual 'bug' or just my own stupidity: https://youtu.be/p-b4UCakZlI

And here's a link to my output log and persistence file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s5yhnuhtztc00iv/AAB1PjaR6LAKd01WEoIFQQuMa?dl=0

Edited by vardicd

I'll run some tests later, maybe today if I get the chance, maybe tomorrow, and I'll record it, and send you logs and such. I don't know if its a bug so much as I may be doing something wrong, but at least if you see what I'm doing, maybe you'll see what I'm doing wrong.

Found it! A small oversight in the options window prevented the filter settings from being updated when loading a new profile. The correct setting was being applied to the actual alert system, though. Another small bug was in the NotMaxed filter: for whatever reason, I set it at <98% instead of "next report worth non-zero" like it should be so that'll be fixed.

There's still something off. You should've received an alert for the report at 1:46 for sure. I've run out of time right now but I'll go over it tonight with a fine tooth comb to see if the calculation is wrong somewhere.

Found it! A small oversight in the options window prevented the filter settings from being updated when loading a new profile. The correct setting was being applied to the actual alert system, though. Another small bug was in the NotMaxed filter: for whatever reason, I set it at <98% instead of "next report worth non-zero" like it should be so that'll be fixed.

There's still something off. You should've received an alert for the report at 1:46 for sure. I've run out of time right now but I'll go over it tonight with a fine tooth comb to see if the calculation is wrong somewhere.

Okay, well, at least I know I'm not a complete idiot then. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't doing what I wanted. :)

This might be a bug with KER. I can replicate your problem by creating a new career game, entering VAB, creating a vessel with just a mk1pod, and launching it. The KER button is blacked out with and without ScienceAlert and there aren't any exceptions thrown by SA that might have interfered. I suggest asking in the KER thread and including your game log and reproduction steps

Has anyone else seen memory usage issues with SA? KSP seems a lot more prone to OOMing when it's installed even though it adds no parts and should use hardly any memory.

kerbal engineer redux.Don't know about logs.If you could tell me what to do.It works in sandbox not career.

This is not a bug in SA or in KER; it's working as designed. In Career mode, by default, KER won't give you in-flight displays unless you have an engineer in the crew or have the KER part installed.

If you don't like this, open the KER settings in the VAB and change it from "career" to "partless" mode.

Has anyone else seen memory usage issues with SA? KSP seems a lot more prone to OOMing when it's installed even though it adds no parts and should use hardly any memory.

Now you have me thinking - did I have ScienceAlert in my previous 1.0.2 install ... ? ... because in my new one I have and get OOMs ever hour.

Would logfiles help? I think I have three or two from yesterday.

Sadly, not in this case. Most likely we'd be looking at a Unity bug with closures and not any particular error in ScienceAlert. If just jumping between scenes doesn't help, that's where I'd start looking

Sadly, not in this case. Most likely we'd be looking at a Unity bug with closures and not any particular error in ScienceAlert. If just jumping between scenes doesn't help, that's where I'd start looking

So I should install a memory info mod thingy and switch scenes to see if the usage drops?

Can do.

Edit: Crashes even without Science Alert.

Edited by KerbMav
new info

I've also had OOM errors with SA installed. It even happens at a fixed spot, when I'm landing somewhere between the parachutes fully deploying at 500m and the ground. I'm not sure what I do to debug this, and the error log does not mention SA specifically, just the OOM errors. I'll try and enable/disable my mods some more and see if i can find out anything.

Edit: I've landed succesfully several times with only SA running, so it may be something else. Some sort of conflict with other mods, or just a one off thing.

Edited by Dutchy_

I've been noticing some biome errors with SA. I was landed in Badlands on Kerbin and it thought I was in Highlands. On the Mun it thought I was in Midlands when I was in East Crater. There are other examples, I just don't recall them. Every time one of these errors crops up it keeps telling me I have experiments I can do even though I've already maxed them out for the biome I'm actually in, if I haven't maxed them in the one it thinks I'm in.

Hi Evil Reaper,

Firstoff: Really great mod! I could not live without it! But i have a small feature request:

Now I need the press on every simgle experiment that i want more than 90 % of the science.

Could you include in your next version a setting that allwes us to specify the amount of scie we want but gloabaly. So we only say:

We want to get notified from all experiments till we get 90 % of the sience from them.

If the slider should do this, it is not working.

Basicly i just want the Filter method globaly for all experiments, as it is a pain in the a* to do this by hand. Also sometimes it seems that the config is not saved and i have to redo this...

Also i'm backing the suggestion that the EVA Activity schould be alsoways on the top of the list it it not gets acccienteially clicked :-)

Thanks for looking into this posibility.

PS: i also noticed the same thing as Monthar.

Edited by ManuxKerb

Every time one of these errors crops up it keeps telling me I have experiments I can do even though I've already maxed them out for the biome I'm actually in, if I haven't maxed them in the one it thinks I'm in.

I'm pretty sure I know what's causing this. The next time it happens, could you get a savegame to me?

Now I need the press on every simgle experiment that i want more than 90 % of the science.

Could you include in your next version a setting that allwes us to specify the amount of scie we want but gloabaly. So we only say:

We want to get notified from all experiments till we get 90 % of the sience from them.

I wanted to do something like this but couldn't figure out a clear way to add it to the UI without it being confusing

RE: EVA, whoops. The code's actually in there (and you can enable it by modifying the cfg) but it appears I either forgot to write the UI option or it was accidentally removed at some point

Hi

You could just put it in the general section and name it like: General Filter methods. So everybody knows it aplies to all :-)

QUESTION:

I also noticed that i will not get the sci alert anymore when i enter a new binome. Can i configure this somewhere or is this a bug. In previous version i would get the alert when i enternred a new binome and the experiment was not maxed out (my setting) in that binome with that experiment.

Thanks!

Edited by ManuxKerb

This mod is great!

One thing I wish it did was respect RemoteTech's lockout for control when there is no antenna connection.

Right now, I can still get alerts and log the science in this condition.