[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

Yes, very strange. I have a hunch it is something that builds up when changing biomes or whenever a new experiment pops up. The problem was only noticeable in low orbit at warp when many biome changes would create a almost constant alert stream from the mod. Hope it hepls. Science Alert is such a great mod (should be stock really) that if I was on linux I could have lived with the leak.

I haven't been able to replicate any serious leak like Kilhmar is experiencing so far... The only thing that changes in timewarp is SA will check experiments much more often, all experiments every frame instead of one per frame. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

I haven't been able to replicate any serious leak like Kilhmar is experiencing so far... The only thing that changes in timewarp is SA will check experiments much more often, all experiments every frame instead of one per frame. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

There is a memoryleak with MechJeb while using the landing guidance while biome hopping (why the heck Sarbian hasn't fixed that yet, no idea), and it sounds like Kilhmar was doing exactly that when he saw the leak, so, maybe that's what he is seeing?

I'll certainly give it a look though.

Edit: There are a few small jumps in memory usage that may or may not be a 'memory leak', but I'm not seeing anything constant. Not with the quick check that I did anyway.

Edit: I am seeing a small increase in memory while descending through the atmosphere and also while I was launching, editwhile typing: And a pretty big spike when I returned to spacecenter after crashing into the ground, but I don't know if that was this mod or something else. There is certainly something there that is adding to the memory and not letting it go.

Edited by smjjames

I'm afraid I have to confirm a memory leak with ScienceAlert. I was having frequent crash to desktop issues after an hour or two of playing. I run pretty close to the edge with mods, but after seeing Kilhmar's report I uninstalled ScienceAlert and the CTD went away. The logs seem to show no errors other than simply running out of RAM. If I can provide any other debug/troubleshooting information, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I use MKS's scrap/salvage function to destroy a part, I get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceAlert.StorageCache+<Rebuild>d__2.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The parts being destroyed weren't science parts and I'm not seeing any increase in memory usage with that exception, so, it's probably unrelated to the memory leak, if there actually is one.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this hasn't been updated to 1.0.5 yet, but I wanted to report that while the ScienceAlert icon doesn't react to new science and (if the option is on) the science values are reporting 0, the available experiments still show up and that's all I need for the moment :)

(This mod is a requirement for me these days, way too useful)

I know this hasn't been updated to 1.0.5 yet, but I wanted to report that while the ScienceAlert icon doesn't react to new science and (if the option is on) the science values are reporting 0, the available experiments still show up and that's all I need for the moment :)

(This mod is a requirement for me these days, way too useful)

I have found that in 1.0.5 it won't allow any transmission of science. It gives alerts, but you can't transmit the science. Also, doesn't give sound or display notification of new science.

it does send it to the antenna though, click it and transmit manually.

SA intercepts transmissions so that while data is being shipped it doesn't re-detect it as absent. Unfortunately, the API for sending data changed from taking a single item to transmit to taking a list of items to transmit.

I tried to fix this myself in the SA code, but there's a bunch of stuff not included in the repos that you can't build without, and it looks like he hasn't checked in the debugtools in a while or something because the ones I found didn't match the ones he tries to compile against, so ...

- - - Updated - - -

Also the warp-interrupt doesn't appear to be working in 1.0.5.

SA intercepts transmissions so that while data is being shipped it doesn't re-detect it as absent. Unfortunately, the API for sending data changed from taking a single item to transmit to taking a list of items to transmit.

This has always been how the transmitters function. The difference in 1.0.5 is related to how the transmission interrupt mechanism works.

Orbital Scanner wasn't working for me, data would not transmit. Tried manually transmitting data on the antenna but the scanner is different to the other sci data (instant transmit, no choice in the matter and if it fails bye bye data). Eventually looked in the log file and found "

(Filename: Line: -1)

Sending data to vessel comms. 2 devices to choose from. Will try to pick the best one

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Score for transmitter: 0.000 - Data Rate: 340282300000000000000000000000000000000.000 - Data Cost: 0.000

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Score for transmitter: 1.225 - Data Rate: 5.714 - Data Cost: 6.000

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'IScienceDataTransmitter.TransmitData'.

at ScienceAlert.MagicDataTransmitter.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

"

Exited game, removed SA and relaunched app resolved issue (and lost all those lovely alerts, ah well). I now know where all the ore is at on Kerbin, woo hoo!

I tried to fix this myself in the SA code, but there's a bunch of stuff not included in the repos that you can't build without, and it looks like he hasn't checked in the debugtools in a while or something because the ones I found didn't match the ones he tries to compile against, so ...

The old DebugTools code was shifted into a new separate DLL called ReeperCommon. You'd have to go back a bit in the git history of ReeperCommon to find something you could build against :(.

I'm brooming out some ugly code and redoing some things that turned out ugly (profiles in particular)

Hi

I have a suggestion if you don't mind.

Could you add an option to always have the buttons visible for every one of the experiments? This would make it easier to re-run experiments if you need to.

How about a system where you could switch between 2 display modes?

1. Current one, showing only the experiments which are not yet completed in this biome.

2. One where every experiment on your ship is displayed in the list, the ones which would not show up in first mode are just greyed out a bit, but still clickable.

How about a system where you could switch between 2 display modes?

1. Current one, showing only the experiments which are not yet completed in this biome.

2. One where every experiment on your ship is displayed in the list, the ones which would not show up in first mode are just greyed out a bit, but still clickable.

An indicator showing which experiments are full/empty/partially filled would be great too.

Hi

I have a suggestion if you don't mind.

Could you add an option to always have the buttons visible for every one of the experiments? This would make it easier to re-run experiments if you need to.

How about a simple "ReRun" button that maybe is per craft. That way if you are recollecting data for a lab, you get the notice for what fresh copies you need.

And while we are on it, how about a "collect all" button (or two for the second option described in my post above)?

This will be a good option, but think on a interplanetary mission, where maybe you have a lab or you have still some data on your experiment for future full recover, with a "collect all" option, you can loose a lot of Science...