[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

I'm seeing a Missing TransmitData exception on 1.0.5; I have the exact same set of mods as I had in 1.0.4 where ScienceAlert worked like a champ. The specific line in the log is "MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'IScienceDataTransmitter.TransmitData'. at ScienceAlert.MagicDataTransmitter.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 ".

I really love ScienceAlert, there just isn't another mod that can compare.

The current version in the OP isn't compatible with 1.0.5; use the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-1-0-4-ScienceAlert-1-8-9-Experiment-availability-feedback-%28July-13%29?p=2293463&viewfull=1#post2293463"]user-patch[/URL] in the meantime. I couldn't help but uh tear everything down and rewrite. This was my very second project using C# and there comes a point where looking at your own code is demotivational ;.;

The new version is coming along nicely, it's just been busy so I only get a few hours here and there to work on it

[quote name='xEvilReeperx']The current version in the OP isn't compatible with 1.0.5; use the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-1-0-4-ScienceAlert-1-8-9-Experiment-availability-feedback-%28July-13%29?p=2293463&viewfull=1#post2293463"]user-patch[/URL] in the meantime. I couldn't help but uh tear everything down and rewrite. This was my very second project using C# and there comes a point where looking at your own code is demotivational ;.;

The new version is coming along nicely, it's just been busy so I only get a few hours here and there to work on it[/QUOTE]

Keep your chin up, and keep up the good work!

[quote name='xEvilReeperx']The current version in the OP isn't compatible with 1.0.5; use the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76793-1-0-4-ScienceAlert-1-8-9-Experiment-availability-feedback-%28July-13%29?p=2293463&viewfull=1#post2293463"]user-patch[/URL] in the meantime. I couldn't help but uh tear everything down and rewrite. This was my very second project using C# and there comes a point where looking at your own code is demotivational ;.;

The new version is coming along nicely, it's just been busy so I only get a few hours here and there to work on it[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your quick response, the patch worked for me... its great to have ScienceAlert back, yeah. I certainly do understand how code can evolve and turn ugly. Hang in there.

On 11/13/2015, 12:45:54, thgjerde said:

On 11/14/2015, 5:46:29, thgjerde said:

First install version 1.8.9 of https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/424/ScienceAlert

Then replace the ScienceAlert.dll in your "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert" folder, overwriting the existing file with the file from http://gamefaction.no/ScienceAlert-1.8.9-patch1.zip

The patch fixes the broken transitter bug. See the included source patch for details.

Here you go

You're right in that SA adds a fake transmitter but it's just used to capture all incoming ScienceData; transmission is then delegated to the best rated real transmitter.

You might be using the version built for 1.0.4 still -- there's a patch a few posts above yours. I'm working on 2.0 still after having a little computer setback. Thank goodness for backups ;)

I'm having a problem where the science alert isn't... alerting. Fresh save, with the patch and some other mods (KIS, KAS, KJR), and none of the initial experiments from the Launch pad are showing. I've yet to see any experiment appear.

Ideas on what's going on?

• 3 weeks later...

You're right, it's listed for 1.0.4 but I've been using it ever since 1.0.5 was released.  I've seen only one small annoying behaviour that I've noticed, and that's a constant reminder that there is EVA science to collect on the KSC launchpad but when I EVA, the alert disappears and there's no science (because I've collected it already).

I can live with that until it gets updated.

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

You're right, it's listed for 1.0.4 but I've been using it ever since 1.0.5 was released.  I've seen only one small annoying behaviour that I've noticed, and that's a constant reminder that there is EVA science to collect on the KSC launchpad but when I EVA, the alert disappears and there's no science (because I've collected it already).

I can live with that until it gets updated.

I think that may not be an error; forgive me if you have already, but have you tried doing an EVA and then disembarking your craft, down onto the ground? That may be the EVA report you're being alerted to.

4 hours ago, gerishnakov said:

I think that may not be an error; forgive me if you have already, but have you tried doing an EVA and then disembarking your craft, down onto the ground? That may be the EVA report you're being alerted to.

You're absolutely correct and that's solved the annoyance.  My bad.

12 hours ago, Draconomial said:

Is it compatible with the most recent version? CKAN doesn't show ScienceAlert for 1.0.5.

It works on 1.0.5 if you grab the patch a few posts above yours. 

Alright, so I attempted to install the patch, but when I did, WinRAR gave me an "access denied" error. Then I tried changing the permissions on the ScienceAlert folder, and got another "access denied" error. EvilReeper, why put such strict security on the mod folder that not even an admin could patch the mod?

EDIT: Nevermind. Turns out it was like that because THE GAME WAS STILL RUNNING.

Edited by BNSF1995

@xEvilReeperx I'm just letting you know that whenever I destroy a part with UKS's scrap/salvage function, Sciencealert spits out this exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ScienceAlert.StorageCache+<Rebuild>d__2.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a reference or two to this mod being the source of a potential memory leak - is this a thing, or are they blowing smoke? All I can really say for certain is that, since I installed this on my most recent build, I've had a lot of memory related crashes that I didn't when using it before. Not accusing, just looking for additional info to track down the issue.

On 1/1/2016 at 11:56 PM, Speadge said:

well, i still get the "transmit-bug" with any dll :(

Anyone has a fix for that?

I've been using it with 1.0.5 for a long time without issue. What "trasmit-bug" do you mean? I see these comments from your previous posts ...

On 11/16/2015 at 5:04 AM, Speadge said:

[...] as soon as i entered Mun's SOI, the problems started. White transmission dialog appears, finishes, but without a green line saying that science has been added before "Done" appears.

[...]

I pasted the output_log, cut down to where the Exceptions started (perhaps you can get more out of it than i can):

Reveal hidden contents

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQSCity.OnSphereReset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.Mod_OnSphereReset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.ResetSphere () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ScienceAlert, Deleting profile 'default' since its vessel 6b357198-4c40-4048-9fcc-7ea9016b8853 was destroyed

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException:

at ControlBase. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.PositionHorizontally (Boolean updateExtents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.PositionItems () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (Int32 index, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.ClearButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException:

at SpriteRoot.SetCamera (UnityEngine.Camera c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AutoSpriteControlBase.SetCamera (UnityEngine.Camera c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteRoot.UpdateCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIListItemContainer.UpdateCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.SetupCameraAndSizes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.UpdateCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScrollListResizer.ScaleListToFitContent (Int32 offsetTop, Int32 offsetBottom, Int32 offsetLeft, Int32 offsetRight, Boolean stdDirection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.ClearButtons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

HighlighterOff.OnDestroy()

ScienceAlert, Deleting profile 'default' since its vessel a7119ba6-010c-414a-8223-524c4ba0abe7 was destroyed

DllNotFoundException: CSteamworks
at (wrapper managed-to-native) Steamworks.NativeMethods:SteamClient ()

at Steamworks.InteropHelp.TestIfAvailableClient () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Steamworks.SteamController.Shutdown () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SteamController.KSPSteamController.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.get_isActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapView.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[FlightEngineer]: Destroying Floating Window for HUD 1

[FlightEngineer]: Destroying Floating Window for HUD 2

[FlightEngineer]: Destroying Floating Window for HUD 2

[FlightEngineer]: Destroying Floating Window for test

[FlightEngineer]: Destroying Floating Window for Maneuver

ScienceAlert, Saving settings to D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program - 105_plain - x64\GameData\ScienceAlert/settings.cfg

ScienceAlert, Removing MagicDataTransmitter

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MeshFilter:set_sharedMesh (UnityEngine.Mesh)

at SpriteMesh.CreateMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteMesh.get_mesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteRoot.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteBase.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIListItemContainer.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (Int32 index, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ScienceAlert.Toolbar.AppLauncherInterface.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Parsing string

KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenu->OnDestroy

KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenuGui was destroyed.

KerbalEngineer -> FlightEngineerCore->OnDestroy

at Versioning.get_version_minor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.CompatibilityChecker.IsCompatible () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.CompatibilityChecker.IsAllCompatible () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MeshFilter:set_sharedMesh (UnityEngine.Mesh)

at SpriteMesh.CreateMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteMesh.get_mesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteRoot.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpriteBase.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIListItemContainer.Delete () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.RemoveApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResourceDisplay.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GenericAppFrame.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[KSP Interstellar] GameEventSubscriber Deinitialised

KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenu was destroyed.

... but I don't understand what you're referring to. What "white transmission dialog?" "green line?" I transmit science all the time and don't have an issue. I'm using RemoteTech personally but since you're talking about a dialog I'm unfamiliar with I'm not sure what is going wrong on yours at all.

EDIT: Since I made a new page we will inevitably need 1.0.5 compatability and patch instructions on this page ...

ScienceAlert is compatable with 1.0.5 after installing this patch:

On 11/14/2015 at 5:46 AM, thgjerde said:

First install version 1.8.9 of https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/424/ScienceAlert

Then replace the ScienceAlert.dll in your "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert" folder, overwriting the existing file with the file from http://gamefaction.no/ScienceAlert-1.8.9-patch1.zip

The patch fixes the broken transitter bug. See the included source patch for details.

Edited by Black-Talon
added 1.0.5 patch instructions to this page

hi @Black-Talon,

thanks for coming back about this:

usually when u transmit something, it says in white fonts that it is starting transmission and counting up the percentage.
after 100% u then get a notification in green color telling you how much since has been added, followed by another white "Done!" notification.

Starting a new flight i never encounter any errors. But later in the game, after a few scene changes, trying to transmit since results in the following:
white colored text telling you that its starting transmission...
getting up to 100%, directly followed by a "Done!", no actual green notification text that the since really has been added. Same as if i wouldnt have the patch installed in the first place.

Im not sure IF it can be part-related since someone previously said that removing a parts-pack fixed it for him. But trying this out is almost impossible as the error doesnt persist and i still cant find what causes it to break after it worked on the launch.