[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

I'll have to agree with mtpatane on this one.  Maybe he doesn't know if he's going to update it or not. We've all been burnt out before.  Just relax.  He'll get to it when he can.  Armor9's comments were not helpful in anyway, shape, or form. As for me, I'm gonna go donate now.

2 hours ago, Armor9 said:

I know we all want to be positive and say nice things in hope it will "inspire" the OP to get the update out, but I will say what most are thinking: man the update to this Mod is taking a LONG time. 

The Mod is licensed under GPLv3. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but under this license you may do with it what you please. The source is available. If you'd like to patch it for 1.1.2 go ahead. 

If you're going to complain about the delay and ask others to do the work this isn't the place to do that. 

Hey folks, it'll get updated when it gets updated, Just a friendly reminder that REPEATING an update request now violates rule 2.3f, so please don't do that. I would also like to remind people that if they see something they think is a rules violation, to go ahead and hit that report button and let us know. No need to be rude to anyone about anything.

2 hours ago, Armor9 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  If the OP is not going to update the Mod then it would be great if he would say so.  There are others that would gladly take it over and update it, but until he would state that he is not going to update it people are not going to step in and step on his toes. 

This is a very reasonable point. The people willing and capable of updating this mod are much more likely to hold off until they hear from the developer. Without hearing if the mod will or won't be updated they likely will not step in and spend time and effort when it could be redundant and pointless. However, if the author states he is unable to update the mod himself those people would likely step in and gladly take care of this wonderful mod.

Just look at TAC Life Support as an example of a mod who's author said "hey guys I'm busy with school" and a group of people stepped up to port it to 1.1.2 for him.

5 hours ago, Armor9 said:

I know we all want to be positive and say nice things in hope it will "inspire" the OP to get the update out, but I will say what most are thinking: man the update to this Mod is taking a LONG time. 

Not cool! Not cool at all. Its simply not necessary. Work is being done on the mod. There have been regularly new commits on his bitbucket. Also remember he does not have to release this to us at all. So again your comments are unnecessary, rude, and flirt awfully close with violating the forums rules about badgering modders about new releases and updates. I am sorry if my response and others might seem as if we are overreacting but it doesn't seem like you have been on these forums very long. I and many others have seen too many modders get frustrated and leave because of insidious and rampant comments. I have seen modders leave and quit from benign and possibly even creative criticism yet because it was compounded by constant other comments they decided to shut down and either not support their mods any longer or give up and never complete projects all together. Its because of our experience witnessing and experiencing the loss of great and the potentially great mods we don't take comments like yours lightly. Just this week we almost lost the cactye telescope because people kept hounding the modder about updates. So just accept the ksp trademarked soon and whenever mods are updated they are updated. Full disclosure I have been guilty coy fully asking modders to update their mods. I have even gone so far as to preface it as being playful or as a joke but I have learned that its just easier to encourage and wait rather than beg or demand (even if it is playful).  So please have patience. It will be done SoonTM

3 hours ago, Armor9 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  If the OP is not going to update the Mod then it would be great if he would say so.  There are others that would gladly take it over and update it, but until he would state that he is not going to update it people are not going to step in and step on his toes. 

Go back three pages he has said he is going to update. It really helps if people actually read the thread before making rude and possibly damaging comments. 

Edited by sp1989

41 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Go back three pages he has said he is going to update. It really helps if people actually read the thread before making rude and possibly damaging comments. 

I have read this post, thank you very much and yes I have read his post 3 pages back.  Did you?  His post was on April 2nd and he stated an update would be 1-2 days.  There has been no recent communication, etc., so no there is no knowledge that it would be updated.  As another poster mentioned with the license anyone can use it, BUT as another poster mentioned a modder is not going to take over unless they know it has been abandoned.  I have been in touch with other modders, sadly I do not have the know how to do it, and they have stated exactly that; they would update it IF it was abandoned. 

I think this mod is one of the best ones out there and cannot believe it is not stock to begin with. 

So yes, my post WAS made with knowledge of the modder's post about 1-2 days from April 2nd.  That is why I mentioned it was taking a long time, a month+ later. 

16 minutes ago, Armor9 said:

I have read this post, thank you very much and yes I have read his post 3 pages back.  Did you?  His post was on April 2nd and he stated an update would be 1-2 days.  There has been no recent communication, etc., so no there is no knowledge that it would be updated.  As another poster mentioned with the license anyone can use it, BUT as another poster mentioned a modder is not going to take over unless they know it has been abandoned.  I have been in touch with other modders, sadly I do not have the know how to do it, and they have stated exactly that; they would update it IF it was abandoned. 

I think this mod is one of the best ones out there and cannot believe it is not stock to begin with. 

So yes, my post WAS made with knowledge of the modder's post about 1-2 days from April 2nd.  That is why I mentioned it was taking a long time, a month+ later. 

Neither you nor anyone else here is entitled to updates for outdated mods or progress updates from mod authors, no matter how popular and useful a mod is. Nobody cares about a statement like 'this is taking a long time'. You're not helping here.

20 minutes ago, Armor9 said:

And if you go one page back there are fresh commits on his bit bucket. Which means he is working on it! You have no idea what is going on in his life right now? You don't know what problems he might be encountering trying to make it ready for 1.1.2. He could be a student it's the end of the semester maybe he is takin g tests and writing papers. He's not going fast enough for you that's YOUR problem. However there is evidence that he intends to update it and evidence that work is being done on it. So again you have to be patient and it will be done Soon

I read his bit bucket last night.  Yes, he said he's working on it. So just relax and be patient. Perhaps you don't mean it, but your tone is coming off as negative.  If it takes a year for him to update it, I'll be happy.  It's a free mod he's doing in his spare time. He doesn't owe you, me or anybody else anything.  Not even an excuse.  Not even a "Yes, I'll update it".  Which he has said.

To anyone who dares to complain that this is taking to long to update;

Please follow these steps;

1) Please click this link, and read the tutorials

2) Write your own mod

3) Use that

If your can not, are to lazy or simply do not know how your options are;

1) Look here, on the right hand side and see that progress is being made, take a deep breath and calm down, then post a message of support or, if you can and find this mod useful, donate to help the author.

2) Should you feel not calm yet, take another deep breath. Hell, splash out, take 3. Realise that life is vastly more complicated and important than updating a mod for a game, that this is likely not that important a deal in the grand scheme of things, then go for a walk (calms me down).

3) Check back in a few days

This has been a Public Service Announcement on behalf of pestered modders everywhere.

Edited by Marrv
grammatical correction

you can peek inside the old DLL to see what he's dealing with..  
it has to "poll" each experiment and figure out which one still has value (vs what's already in storage vs what's in labs vs what's already been done, etc etc).. all of which seemed to change with the update.. What seems like a simple mod actually has a lot of code behind it.
that's on top of all the UI changes and other annoying updates he's got to make..

I have an idea of what he's up against, cause.. I tried :) .. it didn't end well lol.

27 minutes ago, Thornn said:

3 fresh commits last night, it's definitely being worked on :cool:

IMO post like these are kind of bad too. I would feel quite a bit more pressure to have people standing over my shoulder watching me waiting for my work. Let the guy have some peace another week of waiting won't kill you jeez. Nothing toward you Thorn. Just want to put in my 2c. He may not even feel this way again just IMO

Edited by Svm420

I'm just trying to be positive in a thread where the last few pages have been somewhat negative...if we can't post encouragement about the good things, then what can we post about?

1 hour ago, llanthas said:

Not really complaining, but this is taking an incredibly long time, compared to other popular mods.  I'll still wait and check every day though, because I love it. 

Also, I donated.  :P

While I'm glad you donated too, how is this not complaining?  We know, we know.  If it never gets updated I'll still be happy because I had fun with it for ages.  Sheesh people, he's not beholden to anyone.

4 hours ago, llanthas said:

Well, we could get into a whole discussion about whether he has an obligation to handle it, or pass it off.  Personally, I think it makes more sense to just let someone else take care of it, if he doesn't have the time. 

You don't make any sense. This mod is basically public domain, anyone can do what they wish with it, even sell it for moneys.

Why don't you yourself update it? Let me guess, it's difficult and time consuming? Oh...

Let's get civilized again guys.

Beneath the mentioned ways to bypass the time the author needs to update the mod, I found the following combination of mods very usefull. Especially when you do not want your science to be taken automatically:

With [x] science! you will always know what experiments are not done yet. (I know that this mod has been mentioned alot already, so keep calm)

Part Commander in addition will allow you to use all science instruments at once via one menu (use the filter option) so that you don't need to find the specific instrument.

You still won't have an option to stop time accelaration, but the combination of those mods made my KSP life alot easier!

I hope that will help some of you guys.

Edit: Please excuse my bad english. When you are having a beer and on top being a german guy it is sometimes not that easy to explain something in a foreign language!

Edit 2: Found another mod which does stop the time accelaration when crossing the biomes. It will also let you decide if you don't want a biome to be recognized:

So if you use those 3 mods you have the whole ability of Science Alert. Of course it's far from beeing as comfortable as using Science Alert which makes me even more grateful for the authors work.

Edited by JohnWildman
Update

1 minute ago, transitbiker said:

Who is the lead moderator for this sub-forum?  I need to talk with you, please, thank you. ^-^

- Andy

That would be @DYJ. However if you need something most moderators can handle almost all your needs.