[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

On 5/6/2016 at 3:42 PM, JohnWildman said:

Let's get civilized again guys.

Beneath the mentioned ways to bypass the time the author needs to update the mod, I found the following combination of mods very usefull. Especially when you do not want your science to be taken automatically:

Thanks, those do look quite usefull!

There are currently two forks on the Bitbucket that seem to have a decent amount of recent activity and one is even labeled 1.1, has anyone given them a try and seen if they are functional in KSP? 

For reference here is the link to this mod's bitbucket (FYI it is also in the OP) - https://bitbucket.org/xEvilReeperx/ksp_sciencealert

4 hours ago, Armor9 said:

There are currently two forks on the Bitbucket that seem to have a decent amount of recent activity and one is even labeled 1.1, has anyone given them a try and seen if they are functional in KSP? 

For reference here is the link to this mod's bitbucket (FYI it is also in the OP) - https://bitbucket.org/xEvilReeperx/ksp_sciencealert

The one that is labeled with 1.1 is mine.. I had no time yet looking at it and contribute to it (my plan was to do pull requests for EvilReeper) but simply didn't come arround to it yet

1 hour ago, Leeman said:

The one that is labeled with 1.1 is mine.. I had no time yet looking at it and contribute to it (my plan was to do pull requests for EvilReeper) but simply didn't come arround to it yet

Thank you for posting that, with it having 1.1 in the name I was going to try it tonight. 

Did you read any of the last few pages? It IS being worked on by the author. The are recommendations on what else can be used in the meantime and to do something exactly like "sciencealert" would likely have issues with its license.

Thus I refer you to my previous post

While the mod is being updated to 1.1 can I make a request? Please add a warning to the Eva option on the dropdown thing on the toolbar. Several times I have been catching data while aerobreaking only to have Jeb go skydiving leaving me without a crew. 

1 hour ago, Kepler68 said:

While the mod is being updated to 1.1 can I make a request? Please add a warning to the Eva option on the dropdown thing on the toolbar. Several times I have been catching data while aerobreaking only to have Jeb go skydiving leaving me without a crew. 

It is already integrated in the present version of ScienceAlert.

The recommendations on alternate mods are all well and good, but I don't think I saw one for the one part of this mod I really want  - the push button science portion. The ability to have a list of experiments on board, press a button on screen, and bam - science complete. Maybe Haystack Continued does this? If I missed it, my apologies - I'm trying not to make people repeat themselves (since I have to do it pretty often elsewhere), but it would be real easy to miss.

29 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

The recommendations on alternate mods are all well and good, but I don't think I saw one for the one part of this mod I really want  - the push button science portion. The ability to have a list of experiments on board, press a button on screen, and bam - science complete. Maybe Haystack Continued does this? If I missed it, my apologies - I'm trying not to make people repeat themselves (since I have to do it pretty often elsewhere), but it would be real easy to miss.

All Y'all adds buttons to do 'everything of similar type' to a few categories of parts - Science being one.  So you can click on one experiment, and run every experiment on the ship.  (Note that it goes by module, so some third-party science experiment packs don't get included.)

Looking at the project files it seems like the author is working on more than just a recompile for 1.1. Looking forward to the enhancements. - Sincerely, Long time fan of your add-on.

(((Stop this thread till there are any matter to reactivate.. If i would be the owner of this.. project/mod, i would kill it or give up. )))
Maybe this would be a result affected by the "new" users...

Some of the modders are fast and accurate.. some are not.. because they spend their free time for our (the users/gamers/moders/editors) satisfaction.

One important Lessons KSP in general can give you (for your real life) is: be patient!

Edited by Jansn67

16 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

(((Stop this thread till there are any matter to reactivate.. If i would be the owner of this.. project/mod, i would kill it or give up. )))

Where did you get that quote from?

I come here and check for an update pretty much every day. I just wanted the author to know this mod, for me, is the most absolutely necessary mod for career play. I am not here to rush the author just to show my appreciation for the work put into it. I love your mod and look forward to seeing it again. I hope SQUAD might implement something like this in a tech node one day. Something that automates science experiments. Like an A.I. modual you can put on a ship.

Anyway much love, much respect.

I'm starting to wonder if it's time for someone else to pick this up? I know many of us KSP players feel like this mod is a neccesity, and I'm not sure how much longer I can survive without it! Lol.

If you check https://bitbucket.org/xEvilReeperx/ksp_sciencealert you can see that he HAS been working on it some in the last month. But it's been 11 days since the last commit, and I'm not really sure if he's made a lot of progress or just a little in adapting it to 1.1.2. 

I guess I'm asking the author what he thinks. xEvilReeperx, do you WANT to keep working on it yourself? Or would you rather have the community try to run with it? I don't know enough about modding to even know if others COULD finish it. Personally I'd love for you to finish it but I know you posted saying that you had a lot of life stuff getting in the way and such. So I don't want to heap pressure on you when you don't have time or energy to work on it anyway. 

54 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

I know many of us KSP players feel like this mod is a neccesity, and I'm not sure how much longer I can survive without it! Lol.

So I don't want to heap pressure on you when you don't have time or energy to work on it anyway. 

Lol indeed. I do hope you survive if you start to feel faint contact your local emergency services immediately :wink: 

Hyperbole aside if your last statement is indeed true and is how you feel then don't post anymore about it. He is perfectly capable of deciding if he is done with the project he does not need any reminders from anyone. Yet again I fail to see any point in posting saying the exact same thoughts and feelings as have been posted and some even removed thankfully over the last few pages. Otherwise your statement seem quite contradictory to your actions.

2 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

I'm starting to wonder if it's time for someone else to pick this up? I know many of us KSP players feel like this mod is a neccesity, and I'm not sure how much longer I can survive without it! Lol.

If you check https://bitbucket.org/xEvilReeperx/ksp_sciencealert you can see that he HAS been working on it some in the last month. But it's been 11 days since the last commit, and I'm not really sure if he's made a lot of progress or just a little in adapting it to 1.1.2. 

I guess I'm asking the author what he thinks. xEvilReeperx, do you WANT to keep working on it yourself? Or would you rather have the community try to run with it? I don't know enough about modding to even know if others COULD finish it. Personally I'd love for you to finish it but I know you posted saying that you had a lot of life stuff getting in the way and such. So I don't want to heap pressure on you when you don't have time or energy to work on it anyway. 

I very, very nearly posted something exactly like this yesterday. I didn't because I felt it was borderline of breaking the forum rules, and I'm still not totally sure where it falls. But the author isn't really posting much in the thread so I'm really just not sure where things stand. The last post was on April 2 where the author said they were quite burned out. With that being the case, I respectfully think @xEvilReeperx should consider asking someone else to take over Science Alert. We're already pushing towards a 1.1.3 release and this mod hasn't been updated since July 2015 in 1.0.4.

I'm saying this not totally from a desire to see the mod updated, but also because I've been where @xEvilReeperx seems to be on this project; it's a chore to get it updated, and the interest and time just isn't there. Without that drive to keep fixing the addon, is every KSP update going to be stressful for you?

If the interest isn't there, please consider putting the addon up for adoption. If it's simply an issue of time, and you expect time to become available soon, then ignore this request. But if it's an issue of not really being into the addon anymore, then I ask respectfully that you pass the torch on to someone who can keep it updated; I ask this only because I really love what this addon does; so much so that I'm trying to get the author of kRPC to add a science API so I can do this myself in python. I have no C# or Unity experience or I would update this myself, even if it was just for myself.

Please consider this a respectful request for the long-term health of the addon, and not a request for it to be updated immediately.

Edited by drhay53
wording and such

1 hour ago, Svm420 said:

Lol indeed. I do hope you survive if you start to feel faint contact your local emergency services immediately :wink: 

Hyperbole aside if your last statement is indeed true and is how you feel then don't post anymore about it. He is perfectly capable of deciding if he is done with the project he does not need any reminders from anyone. Yet again I fail to see any point in posting saying the exact same thoughts and feelings as have been posted and some even removed thankfully over the last few pages. Otherwise your statement seem quite contradictory to your actions.

Read the latest post just after yours by drhay53. I think he hits the nail on the head.

28 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

I very, very nearly posted something exactly like this yesterday. I didn't because I felt it was borderline of breaking the forum rules, and I'm still not totally sure where it falls. But the author isn't really posting much in the thread so I'm really just not sure where things stand. The last post was on April 2 where the author said they were quite burned out. With that being the case, I respectfully think @xEvilReeperx should consider asking someone else to take over Science Alert. We're already pushing towards a 1.1.3 release and this mod hasn't been updated since July 2015 in 1.0.4.

I'm saying this not totally from a desire to see the mod updated, but also because I've been where @xEvilReeperx seems to be on this project; it's a chore to get it updated, and the interest and time just isn't there. Without that drive to keep fixing the addon, is every KSP update going to be stressful?

If the interest isn't there, please consider putting the addon up for adoption. If it's simply an issue of time, and you expect time to become available soon, then ignore this request. But if it's an issue of not really being into the addon anymore, then I ask respectfully that you pass the torch on to someone who can keep it updated; I ask this only because I really love what this addon does; so much so that I'm trying to get the author of kRPC to add a science API so I can do this myself in python. I have no C# or Unity experience or I would do this myself.

Please consider this a respectful request for the long-term health of the addon, and not a pushy request for it to be updated immediately.

I agree. It's not about complaining to the mod author to update it. We did that over a month ago and that's not what I'm doing now. I'm saying that it's been a month since we've heard from the author, 11 days since he's even done a commit, and I'm wondering if it's time, as dryhay53 said, to put the mod up for adoption. I am discussing something beyond "UPDATE PLZ" and I think it's a valid and valuable discussion for a mod such as this one.

On 4/16/2014 at 10:27 AM, xEvilReeperx said:

This plugin is licensed under GPLv3. Source is available

You already have permission to adopt this mod. Just don't post the updates here. Instead, start a new thread and call it "ScienceAlert Redux" or something like that.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

You already have permission to adopt this mod. Just don't post the updates here. Instead, start a new thread and call it "ScienceAlert Redux" or something like that.

There is a generally unwritten rule that I've noticed that people won't take over a mod unless the author asks for it. Especially since the author is still active on the forums in other areas and has expressed interest in updating the mod, I think most people wouldn't simply take over and step on the author's toes. 

If I knew C#, I would totally do it. But I have a 2 month old at home and serious health issues requiring multiple surgeries, and right now I just cannot reliably learn C# and then keep the addon updated over time.

I won't post any more here as I already worry that I'm breaking the rules, I just want the author to know that I love the addon, I respect that there are reasons why it is not being updated, and if those reasons are mostly revolving around burn out, as indicated 2 months ago, then ask for help so that someone can step in without feeling like they're breaking the unwritten rule. That's really all I'm getting at.

9 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

There is a generally unwritten rule that I've noticed that people won't take over a mod unless the author asks for it. Especially since the author is still active on the forums in other areas and has expressed interest in updating the mod, I think most people wouldn't simply take over and step on the author's toes. 

I personally hate that unwritten rule, and it's there because so many people have in the past forked incorrectly.

I've never seen ONCE a modder complain when the following 3 (very common sense) criteria were met:

1. The mod has a permissive license.
  2. Intent is to take over maintenance and not to circumvent something that will likely cause more maintenance woes for the original modder.
  3. It is clear in the fork that if the original modder returns to active duty, the forker will step down and allow the code to be integrated into the project.

Note that #3 isn't actually necessary (but it is nice), as any fork of this mod will have to have a permissive license, and so the code will be free for anybody to take and do whatever they want with (except to remove that license of course).

Edited by 5thHorseman

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I personally hate that unwritten rule, and it's there because so many people have in the past forked incorrectly.

I've never seen ONCE a modder complain when the following 3 (very common sense) criteria were met:

1. The mod has a permissive license.
  2. Intent is to take over maintenance and not to circumvent something that will likely cause more maintenance woes for the original modder.
  3. It is clear in the fork that if the original modder returns to active duty, the forker will step down and allow the code to be integrated into the project.

Note that #3 isn't actually necessary (but it is nice), as any fork of this mod will have to have a permissive license, and so the code will be free for anybody to take and do whatever they want with (except to remove that license of course).

The problem with making a new thread is that I can't do the modding. I just wanted to make some discussion and see if someone was interested, and if the author is also interested in stepping down.