(RSS/RO) Constellation Essentials v1.3.1: Trusses, Engines, Adapters (Apr21)

BahamutoD

Constellation Essentials

Download V1.3.1 for RSS/RO - Real scale parts. (7.5m MTV, 10m Launcher, Realism Overhaul+related mods required)

Download v1.2 Standard - KSP scale parts (3.75m)

I watched katateochi's Constellation video again, which lead to me watching NASA's rendered demonstration of the Mars mission again, and got inspired to make some parts from the mission and recreate it in RealSolarSystem.

The first set of parts help you construct the Copernicus MTV:

(Image from NASA, I assume)

Orion_docked_to_Mars_Transfer_Vehicle.jpg

Screenshots:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Changelog:

v1.3.1
-fixed gimbal on engines in RO

v1.3
-added RS-68B to RO
-added 10m, 6 engine mount to RO

v1.2
-added bimodal NTR engines (non-RO version can't switch engine modes yet)
-added docking rings
-added structural end plate
-added adapter/engine mount

v1.1
-Rescale to real size for RO mode
-added standard ksp scale (3.75m)

v1
-Initial release (two trusses)

Todo:

Copernicus-
-Add LOX injection mode to standard BNTR
Ares V-
-J2X engine (maybe, I think some already exist out there)
-7.5m fairing/payload mount
-Stretchytank textures
Cargo+Hab landers-
-frame
-legs
-reentry shell

BNTR

-Standard: 110KN, 915s, 3.5t

-Realistic (2 modes): 111.2-485.57KN, 941-514s, 3.78t

RS-68B

-Standard: not yet available

-Realistic: 3552KN, 366-414s, 6.7t

Other essentials:

Porkworks' Habitat pack

Procedural Parts or Stretchy SRB. (I use stretchySRBs, because at the moment proc.parts has issues with real fuels).

CC-BY-SA

Edited by BahamutoD

BahamutoD

You must have mind reading abilities....

This morning I was thinking about how I wished there was a truss section big enough for a station or an interstellar vehicle and now there is.

Thanks man, your'e the best. "love the quality of your work"

Thanks guys!

I've decided to change it to the real world scale. I took the download down so that less people install it and discover that the part suddenly gets bigger in the next update.

Sorry!

Edit: Updated to v1.1; download available.

From now on, all parts will follow the real world scale. I'll either post instructions to scale down, or a separate pack/config for non-RSS ksp scale later.

Edited by BahamutoD

You can change it to a 3.75m part by changing "rescaleFactor = 1.2" to "rescaleFactor = 0.6" in each part.cfg. I know, its inconvenient, but when I make more parts, I'll add an option to have them all set to non-rss scale.

I put up a standard size download link.

Edited by BahamutoD

Alright, I put up a link for 'standard size', which is 3.75m. It's still supposed to be big. Luckily, the big orange tank fits perfectly~!

screenshot0d.png

Next, I'm working on the NTR engines, and will make some structural adapters and docking rings for the trusses. (In Constellation, the large and small trusses are parts of separate payloads which get docked together in LEO).

Edited by BahamutoD

Alright, I put up a link for 'standard size', which is 3.75m It's still supposed to be big. Luckily, the big orange tank fits perfectly~!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103148235/screenshot0d.png

Next, I'm working on the NTR engines, and will make some structural adapters and docking rings for the trusses. (In Constellation, the large and small trusses are parts of separate payloads, and they're docked together).

That would be fantastic and its exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe a single truss for 3x length or 3 orange tanks in series would be nice. Also some attachment nodes for docking ports on the inside and maybe even a Truss that is 3.75 and in its core has an integrated multinode for 6 axis expansions in 1.25m size. Then again I know weldable parts exists but it just doesn't have your magic touch of quality.

You can change it to a 3.75m part by changing "rescaleFactor = 1.2" to "rescaleFactor = 0.6" in each part.cfg. I know, its inconvenient, but when I make more parts, I'll add an option to have them all set to non-rss scale.

I put up a standard size download link.

Huzzah! Thanks.

I admit I haven't given much thought to mass yet. I'll figure it out for each version (referring to real densities or specs if available for RSS, and refer to stock ksp parts for standard) and update it in the next release.

That's not how rescaling parts for KSP works. Usually real parts are *lighter* than KSP versions (see engines, tanks, airplane parts, trusses...).

Or at least the same mass (see pods).

Oh, I see. But still, I'm not sure if both versions of the parts, one with rescale factor 1.2 and the other with 0.6 should have the same mass.

Edited by Honeybadga

edit: I totally did not realize Starwaster was already doing this. Oh well :confused:

No offense to Starwaster, his work is great....................but, I don't really care for the really skinny structural members he uses on his model. I really like yours, and almost think it looks stockalike.

Here's the work in progress BNTR. This engine doesn't exist beyond the proposal and early testing phase IRL (I think), so all concept pictures looked different. I went with the stock-ish look again, but I might add a little more detail. The plan is the standard version will have more thrust and isp than the stock nerva, but have a larger size and mass. The RSS version will use RealFuels and have the LOX enhancement feature where it injects LOX into the

nozzle for more thrust/less isp. I think there's already a config in RF to make the stock nerva do this.

Edit: oh and the whole "Bimodal NTR" thing: It also generates electric charge while idle.

4qsDYRL.png

ref: http://eltamiz.com/files/BNTR.pdf

Edited by BahamutoD

czokletmuss

I believe the author of this mod wants the constellation parts to be somewhat realistic and since constellation is a NASA brainchild we should respect that. On the other hand NASA has started to set foot inside KSP with release 0.23.5 and I don't know about others but I am all for it. I wish ROSKOSMOS, ESA, SPACEX, and many others would take the same initiative to contribute to KSP. Your opinion seems a valid point, don't get me wrong. All Im trying to say is lets just wait and see what BahamutoD has planned, before we start requesting too much of him and drifting away from his own concept for this mod.

I do believe there is a few mods out there that allow you to put custom logos on parts. I would post the link but I don't remember it. Maybe someone else can help us out with the link?

Here is a cool one from Constellation you can use if you wish.

Constellation_logo_white.svg

oh wow, these are some really nice looking parts BahamutoD!! I hadn't seen this mod before, Prowler_x1 just told me about it. The Copernicus truss section would have been so useful in my constellation mission! That was a very tricky section to make, this will make it much easier and I can also think of some other (non-constellation) uses for it.

That engine looks really nice too, what are the specs for it?

Awesome stuff, keep it up! oh, and just noticed you mentioned my vid in the first post, Thanks!!! :)

czokletmuss

I believe the author of this mod wants the constellation parts to be somewhat realistic and since constellation is a NASA brainchild we should respect that. On the other hand NASA has started to set foot inside KSP with release 0.23.5 and I don't know about others but I am all for it. I wish ROSKOSMOS, ESA, SPACEX, and many others would take the same initiative to contribute to KSP. Your opinion seems a valid point, don't get me wrong. All Im trying to say is lets just wait and see what BahamutoD has planned, before we start requesting too much of him and drifting away from his own concept for this mod.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, it was just a suggestion. BTW your idea with Constellation logo is the best option IMO :)