Pet peeves

SpacedCowboy

I'm assuming the game will be balanced eventually, but knowing that I can complete the tech tree without ever leaving the Kerbin system..... Kinda put the kibosh on my motivation. No real challenge unless I force it. Which is not something that motivates me. I need forced difficulty. Personal preference, of course. Perhaps some difficulty settings geared towards science earned would help. They're coming out with an economy soon, that hopefully will help.

If you're not adverse to using mods, the game I'm currently playing has challenge out the wazoo in carrier mode...

Deadly Reentry

MechJeb

Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR)

Better Than Starting Manned

That every time I go to dock, I am in the shadow of (insert celestial body here).

That the up/down only rotate the view so far, and always end up stopping before the view rotates around to where I need it to be.

Just add lights that face in docking direction and PAM! You can finally dock at night!

Anyway, my biggest problem is accidental staging, at any occasion. Might end up in a succesfull abort, in a capsule being stranded in Orbit, stripped of it's SM, or simply in a nice firework to be watched by the KSC staff.

Going from the launch pad back into the VAB and having the Kerbal you wanted to use be replaced with the main three, it has tempted me to just kill all three of them in a very mean way. Soon though this will not be a problem as them will have a new home far from KSC, but the temptation to explode them is almost too strong.

Getting all excited that I had a kerbal enter solar orbit, collect EVA and crew report in career mode (BIG science gains for early in your career!), then realize that because I am an FNG I made my craft woefully unsuited to the task of adjusting orbit back to intercepting Kerbin and poor Jeb will forever* orbit the sun. Thankfully I brought an antenna and battery so I can transmit the data back. Call me silly but I feel like a failure not getting crew back alive even though I collected a lot of science. So I guess that's a pet peeve more about myself than the game.

Edited by jros83
I make a lot of typos when I'm half asleep

1. when the map view path wobbles on super long trajectories, I always feel like "make up your mind game!"

2. time warp limitations ( I know why they're there but I think they should be disabled if you are in a stable orbit)

3. not being able to remap any middle mouse button controls (trackpad)

4. When parts pictures are not centered in their little squares int the VAB/SPH (I'm looking at you kerbodyne quad engine cluster thing)

Edited by peachoftree

OS X version peeves: 'Recover vessel' is a pop-down menu item from the top of the screen... And yet KSP's own menu, on OS X, is a pop-down menu from the top of the screen. So, hover your mouse towards the top of the screen and guess which one responds first?

On map view, the navigation ball is a pop-up menu from the bottom of the screen. And yet, on OS X, the dock is a pop-up menu from the bottom of the screen. Guess which responds first?

General game-play peeve. Solar panels stop getting any energy at all the moment anything is slightly in front of the sun. I once landed a rover on the Mun only to have it roll uncontrollably away because there was a partial eclipse in effect. The entire landscape was lit up like a stadium, and yet my rover can't draw enough power to put the handbrake on.

Wow, those pop up/down menu bugs are vicious. That's for the "are the devs playing their own game" category.

My peeves are the same as the ones previously mentioned (read the whole thread). The VAB/SPH quirks elevate beyond peeves into nervous breakdown territory. But the most persistant, annoying and debilitating annoyance hasn't been mentioned directly. Planes arbitrarily deciding to veer off to the left, other times to the right, then being possesed. I avoid clipping and feeding them after midnight but still they do this. No idea which side the next one will want to veer off to...

EDIT - Still love and play the game, just seriously rage at times. Mostly when building. Better visuals and more career options can go to hell, i'd much rather have building tools that work, map/nodes that are polished and planes that fly straight. The game can be in wireframe for all i care...

Edited by georgTF

Just thought of another one. I put a lander down with a rover strapped to its side, the other day, and got a kerbal out, ready to get in it when it was released. I press '[' to switch back to the lander and release it, and instead switch to a piece of debris, nearby, rolling and tumbling and sliding down a hillside veeerry slooowly. I pressed '[' again, to switch back, but get told "Cannot switch vessels while in motion".

So I watch this thing for a bit, tumbling and rolling, and then get up to make a drink. I come back and the damn thing is still in motion - if anything, it's actually gathered pace! Please Squad, I may have some strange ambitions but watching realistic simulations of a broken bits of metal tumbling down a hillside isn't one of them.

I will never want to be a piece of debris. Don't make debris selectable.

Edited by Roskerbos

Just thought of another one. I put a lander down with a rover strapped to its side, the other day, and got a kerbal out, ready to get in it when it was released. I press '[' to switch back to the lander and release it, and instead switch to a piece of debris, nearby, rolling and tumbling and sliding down a hillside veeerry slooowly. I pressed '[' again, to switch back, but get told "Cannot switch vessels while in motion".

So I watch this thing for a bit, tumbling and rolling, and then get up to make a drink. I come back and the damn thing is still in motion - if anything, it's actually gathered pace! Please Squad, I may have some strange ambitions but watching realistic simulations of a broken bits of metal tumbling down a hillside isn't one of them.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

Having debris be among the list of things you cycle through with '[' and ']' is fine by me.

Being unable to switch away from a vessel while in motion on the ground makes sense to me and I understand why it has to be there.

But it's the COMBINATION of those two things together that's absolutely horrible. If you switch into debris rolling on the ground, that's it. You're stuck and helpless to control the game. I've had to revert otherwise successful missions before because of this annoying misfeature of the UI.

On another note, I get frustrated when I want to slide a maneuver node along the orbit path (changing just the ETA time, not the 3 components of the burn), and when I drag it with the mouse, the hotspot of the click is so fuzzy and vague that I've ended up dragging one of the 3 burn components instead of moving the position of the node. The reason this is annoying is that there's no way to Control-Z the action and revert the burn vector back to what it was other than just having memorized what it was before and fiddling with it again manually to put it back.

Edited by Steven Mading

That random veering-to-one-side-and-rolling that plagues larger aircraft and most rocket sleds.

The fact that bi-, tri-, and quad- couplers are agents of the Kraken. Also the fact that those who have not witnessed their evil do not believe those who have.

there is no hotkey to lock the brakes. you have to manually press the button!

This. So much this.

there is no hotkey to lock the brakes. you have to manually press the button!

You can lock the brakes by holding down 'B' (until stationary), timewarp, release 'B', switch off timewarp. Brakes stay on.

But it would be good to have a single key to do it.

Crashes are probably too serious to count as a mere "peeve", but the 64-bit crashes are the single thing that irk me most. That and the right-click trouble in 64-bit. Lately I've been playing 32-bit using OpenGL, but I wish 64-bit worked better.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

Having debris be among the list of things you cycle through with '[' and ']' is fine by me.

Being unable to switch away from a vessel while in motion on the ground makes sense to me and I understand why it has to be there.

But it's the COMBINATION of those two things together that's absolutely horrible. If you switch into debris rolling on the ground, that's it. You're stuck and helpless to control the game. I've had to revert otherwise successful missions before because of this annoying misfeature of the UI.

On another note, I get frustrated when I want to slide a maneuver node along the orbit path (changing just the ETA time, not the 3 components of the burn), and when I drag it with the mouse, the hotspot of the click is so fuzzy and vague that I've ended up dragging one of the 3 burn components instead of moving the position of the node. The reason this is annoying is that there's no way to Control-Z the action and revert the burn vector back to what it was other than just having memorized what it was before and fiddling with it again manually to put it back.

Well, there is a solution, Alt-F12, whack a kerbal, just shoot the debris untill it blows up and be done with it. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.