[1.1.2] KSPRC - Renaissance Compilation: artworks remake [V-0.7 Pre Release 3]

Proot

@Syatus Hello!

Yes and No. 

Yes, if you update to the latest version on all dependent add-on mods most of KSPRC will work. 

No, by default KSPRC v 0.7 Pre Release 3 will not work with KSP v1.2.2.

Here is the list of dependent add-ons that KSPRC uses that require to be updated:

"Texture Replacer" by shaw (MIT license / Copyright © 2013-2015 Davorin Učakar, Ryan Bray)

"Environmental Visual Enhancements" by Rbray89 (MIT license / Copyright © 2013 Ryan Bray)

"Scatterer" by blackrack (GPLv3 / Copyright © 2015 Ghassen Lahmar)

"Kopernicus" by Thomas P. with NathanKell and KillAshley (GNU GPL / Created by BryceSchroeder and Teknoman117)

"Kopernicus Expansion" by MrHappyFace (GNU GPL)

"Distat Object Enhancement" by MOARdV (Creative Commons [cc-by] / Created by Rubber Ducky)

"PlanetShine" by Valerian (Apache license 2.0 / Copyright 2014, Valerian Gaudeau)

and this is how you then set them up in order for KSPRC to work:

On 10/30/2016 at 6:25 AM, NeoFatalis said:

You need to delete Kopernicus,texture replacer,eve,scatterer,planetshine and distant object enhancer that bundeld with KSPRC and download their standalone versions (that work with 1.2) and then the clouds and the textures should work

2 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

@Syatus Hello!

Yes and No. 

Yes, if you update to the latest version on all dependent add-on mods most of KSPRC will work. 

No, by default KSPRC v 0.7 Pre Release 3 will not work with KSP v1.2.2.

Here is the list of dependent add-ons that KSPRC uses that require to be updated:

"Texture Replacer" by shaw (MIT license / Copyright © 2013-2015 Davorin Učakar, Ryan Bray)

"Environmental Visual Enhancements" by Rbray89 (MIT license / Copyright © 2013 Ryan Bray)

"Scatterer" by blackrack (GPLv3 / Copyright © 2015 Ghassen Lahmar)

"Kopernicus" by Thomas P. with NathanKell and KillAshley (GNU GPL / Created by BryceSchroeder and Teknoman117)

"Kopernicus Expansion" by MrHappyFace (GNU GPL)

"Distat Object Enhancement" by MOARdV (Creative Commons [cc-by] / Created by Rubber Ducky)

"PlanetShine" by Valerian (Apache license 2.0 / Copyright 2014, Valerian Gaudeau)

and this is how you then set them up in order for KSPRC to work:

So, correct me if I'm wrong:

KSPRC is mainly a part/art mod, with other mods bundled together, correct?

If so, and since I see that the original author hasn't been around since the middle of November, would anyone be interested in a simple repackaging of the mod, with all current dependencies included?

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If so, and since I see that the original author hasn't been around since the middle of November, would anyone be interested in a simple repackaging of the mod, with all current dependencies included?

Shady area there, man. It's listed under a CC-BY-NC-ND license and technically even if you're just updating the dependencies in the bundle and not touching any of Proot's own material it would seem to me it's still going against the license. 

A better approach would just be to create a very detailed step by step tutorial on how to get it working on 1.2.2 with all the links to current downloads etc.

45 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Shady area there, man. It's listed under a CC-BY-NC-ND license and technically even if you're just updating the dependencies in the bundle and not touching any of Proot's own material it would seem to me it's still going against the license. 

A better approach would just be to create a very detailed step by step tutorial on how to get it working on 1.2.2 with all the links to current downloads etc.

Since the new scatterer changed some config declaration etc, is there already an update for KSPRC own configs or didn't Proot change them from what comes by default? If not I could look into making them compatible and share the .cfgs.

1 hour ago, Theysen said:

Since the new scatterer changed some config declaration etc, is there already an update for KSPRC own configs or didn't Proot change them from what comes by default? If not I could look into making them compatible and share the .cfgs.

I'm not sure if Proot changed the default configs but as the new Scatterer config syntax has changed, yes, as you pointed out the new default Scatterer configs would have to be used or the KSPRC ones ported over.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  I'm not going to touch his stuff, just going to update the dependencies, which are covered by different licenses.  It won't be a derivative since I'm not going to change his content.

However, I will (as I've done before when questions like this come up) ask the forum moderators for a ruling and go along with what they say.

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  I'm not going to touch his stuff, just going to update the dependencies, which are covered by different licenses.  It won't be a derivative since I'm not going to change his content.

It doesn't really matter if you change Proot's material or not, the definitive terming of the NoDerivatives license states:

NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

Technically you are including ND material within a pack that has been remixed/built upon to create a new, working package.

On a side note, I can remember how Proot has handled these kind of things in the past and has been respectfully against the usage of KSPRC in distributions outside of his handling.

We've looked into CC-ND before, it is within the license terms of all variants of CC to include the work in its original form in an anthology or collection. As the included dependencies are separate pieces of software with their own license terms, changing the versions included is acceptable (as long as their respective licenses permit it, which in this case they do). Relevant FAQ on the Creative Commons website.

So in this case: The mod can be redistributed with updated dependencies, but absolutely no changes can be made to the core mod itself. Please be sure to attribute and license all the components per their terms, as I am sure you are planning. 

Edit:

@Poodmund Your interpretation is incorrect. The KSPRC package is in itself an anthology, with various components under different licenses. Components of that anthology can be changed as long as the KSPRC parts are not changed.

Edit 2:

I should add that "not around since the middle of November" is not an overly long time for a modder to be absent. If I were the one repackaging this I would ask for permission first as a courtesy, being gone for six weeks is not past the threshold of "likely gone forever" to me.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Poodmund Your interpretation is incorrect. The KSPRC package is in itself an anthology, with various components under different licenses. Components of that anthology can be changed as long as the KSPRC parts are not changed.

I appreciate that the KSPRC distribution .zip could be included within a mod-pack as that has not altered the distribution in any way but doesn't breaking out the necessary KSPRC original files and repackaging them with other files... GPL, open or whatever... go under the realm of a remix of the distribution?

Either way, I agree with Red Iron Crown that it would be courteous to wait for Proot on a response, especially seeing as his recent posts contained information that work was being done on KSPRC for 1.2+.

4 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I appreciate that the KSPRC distribution .zip could be included within a mod-pack as that has not altered the distribution in any way but doesn't breaking out the necessary KSPRC original files and repackaging them with other files... GPL, open or whatever... go under the realm of a remix of the distribution?

Can't have it both ways. KSPRC's zip *is* an anthology, otherwise it would be infected by the GPL used by some of the dependencies that are redistributed. Only the core mod can be covered by CC-ND. 

47 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I should add that "not around since the middle of November" is not an overly long time for a modder to be absent. If I were the one repackaging this I would ask for permission first as a courtesy, being gone for six weeks is not past the threshold of "likely gone forever" to me.

I have sent a message to him, am waiting for a response.

Thanks for clarifying the question

I experienced poor performance near the Mun (when PQS textures were loaded and under physics; framerate jumped up again during timewarp) and looking for things that might cause this I found that SteepTexEnd in KSPRC.cfg for Mun was set higher than any other body at 150000 (next highest was 100000), and the normal map texture (under KSPRC\Terrain\lunarsoil_NRM.dds) was 2048x2048 while all the others were 1024x1024, giving it a x5 larger filesize.

I resized the texture down to 1024x1024 and changed the SteepTexEnd value to 100000. I'm not sure if only one of these needs to be done but I did both and my framerate near/on the surface of Mun doubled (9-10 to 22-26 with an approx. 60 part ship). The texturing of distant terrain also looks sharper (I guess since the tiles are smaller). Here are before and after shots (above and below respectively):

867c523c49.jpg

2927bed315.jpg

Edit: Closeup terrain looks worse, but at least in my case the performance increase is so big it's worth it.

So, @linuxgurugamer, you might want to do this too as a performance fix if you update and redistribute the mod.

Edited by Guest

On 23/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Can't have it both ways. KSPRC's zip *is* an anthology, otherwise it would be infected by the GPL used by some of the dependencies that are redistributed. Only the core mod can be covered by CC-ND. 

GPL infects it anyway, if it is a dependency that it comes packaged with. Then again, IANAL, so there is that.

In any event at least it is clear that the CC-BY-NC-ND license does not apply to the entire mod, just the original parts by Proot. The included components have incompatible licenses that prevent such sublicensing.

@Schmonzo@Frag2000:

Here is something to try:

1- Install a fresh version of KSP v 1.2.0 without any other mods. 

2 - Install KSPRC v 0.7 Pre Release 3

3 - Delete the following Add-ons that KSPRC v 0.7 Pre Release 3 installed:  Texture Re-placer, Environmental Visual Enhancements (EVE), Scatter, Korpernicus, Kopernicus Expansion, Distant Object Enhancement and Planet Shine

4- Download the latest version of the following Add-ons/Mods that works with KSP v1.2.0 or above:

5- Run KSP v1.2.0 with only KSPRC and test if it works now.

Edited by THX-1138

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i downloaded this mod, and use it on 1.2.2 with the instructions provided by THX-1138, it works, and it improves the graphics and some textures considerably. However, my fps dropped to nearly 10-15 on ground level on Kerbin with crafts of any size, this should not be happening on an i7 4770k, 8gb ram, and a gtx970. Please tell me how to fix this if possible besides deleting the mod? Thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.