Hitching a ride from an asteroid

Iforgotthis

A couple days ago I managed to capture my first asteroid, which I named 004278/01 ST TC (Not the catchiest of names, I know). It was... well, what you'd expect. Frustrating, thrilling and then quite time-wasting. Don't get me wrong, it's exciting, but there doesn't seem to be much purpose to them except getting science. Then again, in sandbox mode there isn't really any purpose other than to just do things.

Anyway, another asteroid was flying through Kerbin's SOI, and I decided to take this opportunity to explore the solar system. I made a lander called Zhan II (I have different vessel names for the three big countries: America, China, and Russia. They each have different satellite names, rover names, lander names etc.) and sent it out.

It went well, I kinda love how it looks when connected to the asteroid. The second asteroid is named 004289/02 TT TC. For Zhan II, it'll be home away from home as it zooms around the solar system.

Here's a couple pictures if anyone's interested.

mtGrmK7.png?1

3imFsv0.png?1

cpC2E0y.png?1

So I was wondering: How far away is your furthest tracked asteroid? I'd love to hear your asteroid stories :D

I've not had any going long enough to get really far away. I've seen a couple with periapses out near Duna's orbit, though of course they're found closer. There's one I'm planning on course correcting so it actually intercepts Duna's orbit, then I'll try and arrange an intercept and aerocapture.

Why did you exclude Japan and India from those big countries?

Well, in all honesty they didn't really come to mind... I might add them, but then I'd have to see where India's going with its space program. Perhaps it's just simpler with three, but I like the idea of more countries. I'll keep them to mind.

EDIT: Actually, looking into it, it appears neither Japan nor India have had a manned spaceflight that wasn't to the ISS. Just a fun fact.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not had any going long enough to get really far away. I've seen a couple with periapses out near Duna's orbit, though of course they're found closer. There's one I'm planning on course correcting so it actually intercepts Duna's orbit, then I'll try and arrange an intercept and aerocapture.

This is such a good idea. And hard. It sounds like hell, but really fun too. Good luck!

Edited by Iforgotthis

Well, in all honesty they didn't really come to mind... I might add them, but then I'd have to see where India's going with its space program.

Mars. It's program is going to Mars. Now I guess I can understand only considering them major only if they have launched people, but India has proven there is ice on the moon and it has a probe reaching Mars in a few months and Japan has returned samples from an asteroid, proving once and for all that asteroids are, in fact, giant space potatos, oh and it launched the both the first solar sail, and it was also the first solar sail used outside of Earth's SOI. While they may not have launched any people, they have certainly done great things. They especially deserve to be on your list more than China does.

You could also set it up as a duna cycler... though i think the AP for that would be closer to dres.

Interesting idea. I assume I'd have to set it up to never enter Duna or Kerbin's SOIs, otherwise the orbit would get perturbed, right? Only minus I see is I've found arranging intercepts in solar orbit a bit of a nuisance, in part because of having to manually enter the orbital parameters if I want to use a launch window planner. (It's doable, but it's easier to just fling stuff to Duna directly.)

Interesting idea. I assume I'd have to set it up to never enter Duna or Kerbin's SOIs, otherwise the orbit would get perturbed, right? Only minus I see is I've found arranging intercepts in solar orbit a bit of a nuisance, in part because of having to manually enter the orbital parameters if I want to use a launch window planner. (It's doable, but it's easier to just fling stuff to Duna directly.)

There's nothing wrong with the orbit getting changed by an encounter, it would take it to strange new places.

How was it attached to its rocket/lifter/boosters? Just curious, since it looks like you have a claw at one end, and an antenna on the other end.

I used one of the KWRocketry fairings, and the base of it seemed to connect where the bottom of the antenna did. In all honesty, I was really worried it would break, or even worse, not decouple (that's always annoying...).

If you don't mind me asking, what is a cycler?

A cycler is a craft whose orbit takes it between two bodies with minimal course correction. Think of it like a continuous free-return trajectory between Kerbin and Duna.

Yes, the idea of a cycler is that you just need a small taxi to get to and from the surface. The cycler will have the massive parts such as life support, fuel stores, radiation protection, and other stuff that is not needed on the surface colonies (once a colony is established)

I had a lot of delta v left after a manned Duna landing that before I returned to Kerbin, I went out of my way to rendevouz an asteroid that was closer to Eve than it was to Kerbin (I went through loads and tracked them just for fun:) ). It took another few years to rendevouz and it seemed a little weird that I only got 60 science for a sample, but I got to rename it, and it marks a personal achievement. I am still yet to put one in to Kerbin orbit though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.