Asteroid Retrieval Mission (Didn't expect it to bounce..)

Ruinsage

So, I just landed my first asteroid on Kerbin, only class c, but hey, it was going to impact, so I thought I would make the landing a little smoother.

First attempt landed in the sea (guess what, it sinks)

Second attempt was perfect, but I didn't anticipate the bounce, so it destroyed my command pod with all three oranges. So that's another quicksave reload.

Third time's the charm, and the asteroid rolled about a hundred meters or so before it settled down. It did spawn two small babies, which i didn't really expect.

I would be very much surprised I was the first to do this, so who else have landed an asteroid, and who has landed the largest?

screenshot2.jpg

Edited by Ruinsage

Pretty sure Asteroids are just like Kerbals - They reproduce by spores released when they hit the ground at high velocities.

Anyway, the only one of these I've managed to "land" also bounced, four or five times. Big Class-E. No babbys made. :( The art of asteroid husbandry clearly requires more than just bouncing....

Pretty sure Asteroids are just like Kerbals - They reproduce by spores released when they hit the ground at high velocities.

Anyway, the only one of these I've managed to "land" also bounced, four or five times. Big Class-E. No babbys made. :( The art of asteroid husbandry clearly requires more than just bouncing....

You probably forgot to play Jaz music in the capsule

Third time's the charm, and the asteroid rolled about a hundred meters or so before it settled down. It did spawn two small babies, which i didn't really expect.

Are you just talking about particle effects, or did the asteroid actually 'break apart?'

If it's the latter, my next ship is totally going up to fire a crapload of SRB's at an asteroid.

Edit: Poo, just saw the correction of the 'babies' thing.

Edited by vger

...When I tried with a size C, I just broke my parachutes :( ...

I found that by right-clicking on the parachutes, lowering the "minimum pressure" and "deployment altitude" as low as they can go (.01 and 50 meters), you get a lot more drogue-style slowing and simple atmospheric drag before they crack open. On top of that, by adding another set, and setting the deployment altitude the next step up from lowest (300m), you can greatly reduce the opening shock of all the 'chutes opening at once at higher altitudes and speeds. It's the only way I've managed to land of my more wonky structures, prior to the joint strength update in 23.5! :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.