Personal Transport Systems

Poryy

So, continuing my obsession with Minmus, I have equipped Khoine Base MK.2 with 2 "FlyingSaucer" transporters. Essentially, they are a .625 RCS tank, surrounded by spherical RCS tanks, with flat 1.25 - .625 adapters on top to make a saucer shape. They are propelled by RCS, and can fly over Minmus and skim the ground. A kerbal is seated on top.

I use my FlyingSaucers to get EVA reports and samples from areas I cannot drive or fly the base to.

Do you use personal kerbal transporters? For what?

So, continuing my obsession with Minmus, I have equipped Khoine Base MK.2 with 2 "FlyingSaucer" transporters. Essentially, they are a .625 RCS tank, surrounded by spherical RCS tanks, with flat 1.25 - .625 adapters on top to make a saucer shape. They are propelled by RCS, and can fly over Minmus and skim the ground. A kerbal is seated on top.

I use my FlyingSaucers to get EVA reports and samples from areas I cannot drive or fly the base to.

Do you use personal kerbal transporters? For what?

I wanted too, but decided that such a device sounded like a Kerbal killer when my usual inability to accurately use RCS thrusters is taken into account. So instead of a command seat, I used a probe core on top of two small cylindrical RCS tanks, weighed it down with the smaller science equipment and the tiny landing legs and attached it to the top of my usual Minmus lander.

It worked. Basically. Sort of. I did something wrong with the docking ports and couldn't re-attach the probe. On the other hand, I flew it around and collected lots of science which I then had Jeb and crew collect before they blasted off, leaving the probe on Minmus, resting on its side cuz it's leg footprint was way too narrow. In retrospect, I wish I had used the spherical tanks alongside the cylindrical ones to provide a wider landing footprint like I assume you did.

I may try that for the next mission...the spherical tanks might shorten it too...it was so tall it my lander a bit more wobbly than usual as I designed it.

Edited by Captain Vlad

The only thing I've done in this regard was my SRB Launcher-Glider. The "Kerbal Transporter" was an infiniglider attached to an SRB via a decoupler, so it could be thrown to get the speed it needed! Things did not necessarily work as planned...

You can skip to 1:38 for the best run. Then prepare to laugh.

I like to make little backpack things for EVA Kerbals, mostly used for shuting small modules into place. This one has just enough power to land on Mun (but then it's out of RCS fuel) and can be used to transfer a Kerbal from an LKO station to one in higher orbit.

(sorry pics a bit dark. in the 2nd pic there's 1 being used and another docked to the closer module)

yWpBhkMl.jpgSSr5J4bl.jpg

I love Minmus... in my new career mode save, I plunked a lander down on one of the flats, then jetpack-EVA'd to get Science from three other biomes :D

Hadn't considered using an ion scooter... really interesting idea. I assume you need gigantors; is there an issue with the large panels and ground strikes?

I love Minmus... in my new career mode save, I plunked a lander down on one of the flats, then jetpack-EVA'd to get Science from three other biomes :D

Hadn't considered using an ion scooter... really interesting idea. I assume you need gigantors; is there an issue with the large panels and ground strikes?

Yeah I use gigantors, but haven't had groundstrike issues because I retract them with a hotkey when I'm close to the ground and run on battery.

I just got done making a backpack for kerbals that is like an external EVA backpack for longer fuel, and maybe orbital transfer for other ships. It is on my spacestation that is in a 45 degree inclined orbit right now, it is pretty cool :P

I still haven't landed on a planet yet... Just smashed into them. Next time you see a creator on the mun think of me... How can you get there. Currently I'm finding it hard to get into orbit again. Always run out of Oxidizer... (Without Mechjeb). I did actually make a space station once though but for some reason it de-orbited its self.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.