Cargo Transportation Solutions (WIP)

Talisar

Can't right now; don't have it installed on this computer.

I'll see if can do that later.

But if it helps, basically you'd orient your camera view so that when you bring the part into contact, your mouse cursor will be between truss beams. You might have to tweak camera view a few time. Might also work if you're doing it from the outside but looking out the open side. If the mouse cursor touches something right before you get there, reposition camera and try again.

I'm guessing you we're using the smaller of the two peices? I figured out that there was an error in the code of the larger one. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've been pulled away by real life lately, but I'll try to get everything reinstalled and updated on my system asap so I can get this pack up to date.

Thanks!

As the others already said, everything except the prices works in 0.24 :)

Oh and if anyone is interested in 2.5m and 1.25m sizes scale/rescaleFactor of 0.9 and 0.65 work great ;)

Happens that the weird green objects that were appearing outside the windows of the TAL pod were radially attached objects that, although were not direct over the windows on the external view, were to close to them, after all.

Will add my two cents about this utterly awesome part after a bunch of orbital deliveries made with it: weight needs substancial increasing, to be in-line with the other pods; it could feat internal heat shield, it's not absolutely necessary but it would be cool (and it already have that neat black tile texture underneath, anyways); It should be further away on the tech tree; and, finally, it would be nice if the TAL pod featured a passable upper node, to be used with a docking port to allow crew movement without EVA.

That being said, I wish to thank you, Talisar, for the excellent work you made on your mod.

I gave this pack a try today, a few comments:

Seems to work fine except whenever attaching / detaching these parts, KSP can lock up for extended periods.

Could we please get the small and large frames in consistent lengths?

Certain designs could be way better if the small frames were as long as the largess.

Also, it would be really nice to have both in various lengths - ie 1,2,4,8m versions of each.

Finally, it could do with some extra internal nodes for cargo carrying. Some way of being able to install items like the "cargo adapter" at an arbitrary point within a frame would be ideal.

I also prefer your cargo bay system to the current one I use (B9). The retracting doors make it easy to strut etc around the bays without worrying about clipping.

With a bit of work, I think this could be the holy grail for extensible craft. I would love to build spaceplane designs using it - if you built a chassis from the frames, with the appropriate parts you could swap out fuel, cargo and engines very easily without affecting the overall design.

Here is my current HL spaceplane

3urajSX.jpg

Here is roughly what I would want to do using your mod:

WB1UFob.jpg

So ideally some way of being able to arbitrarily fill the frames on each side with fuel without having to pull them apart and insert a cargo plate in the middle would be epic.

Even better if we had longer frame sections - this would reduce part count and deformation during warp drastically ;)

How about something making a cargo adapter that SRF attaches via it's rim?

Also, could we maybe even get frames in mk1 sizes? For example, where I have all those jet engines between the wing, it would be nice to be able to mount all those in frames - that way I could strut the frames to the fuselage, making the chassis even easier to customize.

Double frames (As in side-by-side) would be cool too ;)

If you would be willing to make the source available, I could maybe have a bash at these additions myself.

OK, I just realized how all the parts are just the same models assembled in different ways and at different scales.

It seems that it would be possible to make the parts I described by making new cfg files.

Gonna have a go and see what I come up with.

Hmm, something is not right.

You know how I mentioned before that the parts seemed to chug KSP out? I defo think there is something going on - as the more of your meshes I add together to make one bigger part, the more it chugs KSP and eventually causes crashes.

For example, I took the large tube frame and started to extend it by duping in other sections of frame:

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---

name = TALLargeCargoFrameTubeLong
module = Part
author = Talisar

// --- asset parameters ---

MODEL
{
model = ModsByTal/Parts/Cargo/Models/TalCargoFrame
texture = FrameTexture , ModsByTal/Parts/Cargo/Models/FrameTexture
scale = 1.5, 1.5, 1.5
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

MODEL
{
model = ModsByTal/Parts/Cargo/Models/TalCargoArch
scale = 1.5, 1.5, 1.5
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

MODEL
{
scale = 1.5, 1.5, 1.5
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 180, 0
}

// Above this point is standard tube.

// Add another frame...
//Top
MODEL
{
model = ModsByTal/Parts/Cargo/Models/TalCargoFrame
scale = 1.5, 1.5, 1.5
position = 0.0, 3.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

// Works OK until this point.

// Add another arch
MODEL
{
scale = 1.5, 1.5, 1.5
position = 0.0, 3.0, 0.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

// Game crashes at this point for me.

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_attach = 0.00, 0.00, -2.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 3

node_stack_top = 0.00, 1.50, 0.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom = 0.00, -1.50, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = veryHeavyRocketry
entryCost = 68400
cost = 21000
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = TCS Arched Cargo Frame 6m Semi Tube (Large)
manufacturer = Talisar's Cargo Solutions
description = A 2.5 meter long structural frame with sufficient inner diameter to store 3.75 meter thick parts inside. This version includes arched support along both sides, creating a fully enclosed space. This part is slightly wider than standard parts and should be used in conjunction with Talisar's Cargo Solutions (Large) Adapters and Seperators.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 1.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 3
crashTolerance = 5
maxTemp = 2900
fuelCrossFeed = True

breakingForce = 10000
breakingTorque = 10000

}

So I can add the first "frame" mesh OK, but as soon as I add an arch to that mesh, boom!

How I replicate the crash:

Fresh copy of KSP, only this mod installed.

Start in SPH with a drone core

Add this part

turn mirror on, snap another pair to the side

grab another one of these parts.

dragging it around can cause a crash alone, but clicking to attach will definitely crash ksp.

Anyone got any ideas?

I didnt mess with the attach node locations in this example, but I have tried fiddling with those and got no joy.

If you want crash logs or anything, lemme know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.