Cargo Transportation Solutions (WIP)

Talisar

Has anyone made a video or pictorial guide on a few sample ways of using this pack? I grabbed it when I saw it being used and mentioned with the MKS / OKS mod.

One problem I hope this solves is the payload "dancing" out of the fairings I seem to get with proc fairings. Even with liberal use of struts I seem to get a lot of this happening.

So I grabbed this mod, I just haven't quite figured out the best uses.

Side note: have been using your science container since you released it. It goes into every ksp install I do.

WOW! I love this mod. Thank you!

I really like the docking rings. Especially at smaller sizes where they are super thin.

Quick wish-list:

*Toggleable docking ports. Click a button to add a docking port at the back of a bay. Cuts down on parts and saves space.

*Fine Scale control. Sometimes I need a bay just a little larger that it is, not a full 1.25m bigger.

*Integrated lighting. Could be cool, but hardly necessary.

Small bug report, or at least... I don't get it :D

The small mounting plate in the Arched Frame V2 has it's node pointed upwards, meaning if you mount something on it, it has the same orientation as the frame itself. A docking port there (i know, could be surface-mounted :P) would point alongside the frame, not "inside" the frame.

Just passed by to say thanks for this parts. And since i noticed this "bug" myself, for those who dont know heres the fix:

In the TALLargeCargoFrameArchMount.cfg change

node_stack_center = 0.00, 0.00, -2.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

TO

node_stack_center = 0.00, 0.00, -2.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I am dipping back into KSP now that I have managed to get it running relatively crash free again :). I'm rather shocked at the amount of attention this little pack has gotten, but I'm glad people find it of use. I'm going to be working on updating my part packs, and this one was the first that I took a swing at. I've read through the pages of comments while I was away and tried to address what appeared to be the major concerns. On to my replies!

First of all, thanks invultri. I configed your config :)

I went through and made individual tweaks to the prices based on costs of similar parts in KW Rocketry and Near Future Construction. Basically I pulled numbers out of my... imagination, but they should be closer to being reasonable now rather than 2100 across the board, let alone 21000 :)

I shamelessly ripped off your hard work and adjusted the prices in the part configs to match the ones you came up with. Part costs are much lower and diversified, thanks to you! For the time being, I arbitrarily set the entry costs at 10x the part cost.

Has anyone made a video or pictorial guide on a few sample ways of using this pack? I grabbed it when I saw it being used and mentioned with the MKS / OKS mod.

One problem I hope this solves is the payload "dancing" out of the fairings I seem to get with proc fairings. Even with liberal use of struts I seem to get a lot of this happening.

So I grabbed this mod, I just haven't quite figured out the best uses.

Side note: have been using your science container since you released it. It goes into every ksp install I do.

No guides as of yet, but I'll see what I can do about that. (Glad you like the science container too. :) )

WOW! I love this mod. Thank you!

I really like the docking rings. Especially at smaller sizes where they are super thin.

Quick wish-list:

*Toggleable docking ports. Click a button to add a docking port at the back of a bay. Cuts down on parts and saves space.

*Fine Scale control. Sometimes I need a bay just a little larger that it is, not a full 1.25m bigger.

*Integrated lighting. Could be cool, but hardly necessary.

I haven't really looked into those possibilities as of yet, but I will. I'm not too sure about the toggleable docking ports, but I like the idea. For the fine control, I'll probably go with tweakscale integration, and as far as lighting goes, I had originally planned on having lighting built into the rings/adapters. I'll probably revisit that idea as well going forward.

Just passed by to say thanks for this parts. And since i noticed this "bug" myself, for those who dont know heres the fix:

In the TALLargeCargoFrameArchMount.cfg change

Thanks for that catch, and for sharing the fix. It should be corrected in the update.

update U.U

YAR! Cargo Transportation Solutions v0.3.5

Changelog:

v0.3.5 (10/25/14)
- Adjusted Entry Costs and Costs to more realistic values (Thanks to invultri and BadManiac, who's work I stole to do it)
- Corrected orientation of stack node on large arched cargo frame with mount

Thanks for the mod!

One question: How do i make FAR recognize things in the closed cargobays as "shielded"? ATM i lost Parts in the Bay due "aerodynamic stress".

Checking with ferram, it seems that the issue is caused by either the origin of the cargo bay being outside the bay (it's not) or something else in the build causing FAR to break. I'll do more research to see if I can reliably replicate the issue and hopefully fix it.

Edited by Talisar

Hello all, I am dipping back into KSP now that I have managed to get it running relatively crash free again :).

Have you been visiting the dev forum in the mean time? There are some new mods that could help you as a mod maker. Have a look through this thread under the heading ADDONS FOR MODDERS.

LoadOnDemand is particularly great if you're struggling with memory.

Have you been visiting the dev forum in the mean time? There are some new mods that could help you as a mod maker. Have a look through this thread under the heading ADDONS FOR MODDERS.

LoadOnDemand is particularly great if you're struggling with memory.

I'm going to need to catch up quite a bit, thanks for the link! For the most part, all my memory issues were fixed by switching to openGL, so I should be good on that part.

Just a question:

What would it mean to you, Talisar, to implement the parts in the tech tree?

I reviewed the part files - there is the same info as in other parts that are included in the tech tree already.

What is missing for including your parts? (I am not aware of modding - may sound a stupid question *g*))

They are so great - I love the capabilites of them, but can only use them in sandbox.

At the time I have a nice career mode running, and your parts would support my needs there perfectly!!

Just a question:

What would it mean to you, Talisar, to implement the parts in the tech tree?

I reviewed the part files - there is the same info as in other parts that are included in the tech tree already.

What is missing for including your parts? (I am not aware of modding - may sound a stupid question *g*))

They are so great - I love the capabilites of them, but can only use them in sandbox.

At the time I have a nice career mode running, and your parts would support my needs there perfectly!!

They should be included in the tech tree already (under Very Heavy Rocketry, if I recall correctly). I should probably look into spreading them out a little bit though, in a progression that makes more sense.

Would it be too much to request a 3x the length of the cargobay parts? :)

Would help with the bending issue on may get when placing several cargobays end on end, then having a force (like engine thrust) act on them. Not from behind but rather below like VTOL engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for resizable payload containers that can be reused (procedural fairings can be large, but they can't be reused plus removing payload without removing its fairing is complicated, impractical and may be even impossible).

This pack fits this purpose perfectly, except for one small detail - i would like to have "flatter" cargo bays for spaceplanes and what Azimech did is a great solution to that.

I was considering various shapes but elliptical cross-section is best compromise between large payload space and overall spaceplane geometry.

But since i would like to have a craft that can be shared with community (and rebuilt from scratch if needed) Azimech's modification would need to be included in

this part pack.

So, please Talisar can this modification be permanently included ?

EDIT: Ah yes Talisar, do you think that adding automatic struts like with procedural fairings would make sense ? It would help securely hold payload that does not fit perfectly in cargo bay. I did not yet use cargo bays for payloads so i don't have much expirience with that.

EDIT2: Just stumbled upon a "PF edition" of Cargo Adapter that has autostruts. Silly me. :blush:

Unfortunately, the autostruts do not hold a test payload (fuel tank with docking port for later separation) in cargo space assembled from TCS Cargo Adapter (Large)(PF Edition) + 3x TCS Cargo Bay (Large) + TCS Cargo Adapter (Large)(PF Edition).

I assumed it would keep payload in fixed position prior to deployment (for example even only opening cargo bay doors would disengage autostruts). Does TCS Cargo Adapter need a PF Fairing part for autostruts to be in effect ?

Here is how test looks like:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

More ideas. :wink:

After playing around with cargo bays and fairings, something else bothered me with pictures Azimech posted. Engines were SHIELDED. When using FAR this means they won't add to drag and possibly not be subject to potential aerodynamic failures (as i have witnessed them when i tried to create fake cargo bays on my first installation of FAR).

There is just one more thing missing : add a normal cylindrical section, like a cargobay without a door. It may be regarded as unnecessary as there already are hollow cylindrical parts from other part packs, but i would like it to be added here so its more complete (plus i won't have to add yet another addon :) ).

Example of what i am talking about is added to the end of image album above. Also can anyone confirm is this kind of shielding "proper", should it work ? I did not have time to test it.

Edited by fatcargo
more ideas, correction

Example of what i am talking about is added to the end of image album above. Also can anyone confirm is this kind of shielding "proper", should it work ? I did not have time to test it.

They need to have the FAR cargo bay module in the part. (the part with the door and shell itself, not the structural bits)

@Azimech : yes, i could make a copy of the original part file with alternate scale, but that craft made with it wouldn't be redistributable, that's why i'm asking Talisar to include your changes :(

@Starwaster : i've confirmed it too, engine cluster works fine and FAR sees them as shielded, though such constructs are a bit heavy and used only when needed, but it was a nice find for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Download link working for me (mediafire). If you are still having trouble contact me via pm.

Hey Tal or anyone for that matter... Has anyone made or found a video on uses for these parts? I've been trying to use them with the MKS modules but I haven't quite figured out the best way to employ them. (example, using docking ports in place of decouplers or just using decouplers.)

I usually get the "dancing out of the fairings" thing going on when I use the PF version. Maybe I'm just stupid.

I just encountered a strange problem, I do not get the option to open and close the cargo bay doors anymore, neither in VAB nor in flight. Everything else works fine, just the option is gone from the right click context menu, as well as the action groups. Does anyone have a hint for me how to fix this?

Many thanks :)

I just encountered a strange problem, I do not get the option to open and close the cargo bay doors anymore, neither in VAB nor in flight. Everything else works fine, just the option is gone from the right click context menu, as well as the action groups. Does anyone have a hint for me how to fix this?

Many thanks :)

Did you take out the Firespitter plugin ? If you want can make a patch for it to use the stock ModuleAnimateGeneric ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.