Should KSP have a Delta-V readout?

479 members have voted

1. 1. Should KSP have a Delta-V readout?

I like the idea of providing a Delta V readout in the editor. It simplifies some issues and allows you to work around problems with weird designs by measuring dV separately for the different components of a vessel, like an Apollo-type orbiter and moon lander situation.

I also like keeping it simple and not cluttering up the UI with another window full of buttons and labels. I like the idea so much I went ahead and did it.

JwLFTTl.png

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You have the staging list in flight too, might as well show it there as well.

You could, but then you have the UI clutter issue again. I like the idea of the simple dev readout that just gives it to you in the editor. This way, the "lets see if I can make it on my dV that I know I have, but am not sure how efficienct I am" feel. Even if you do the dV calculations yourself, you still don't know how much you have left unless you really want to spend another ~10-20 minutes of playtime calculating it all over again for the remaining part of the spacecraft. 

I support @DMagic's mod idea, and I especially like the readout next to every stage.

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Yay for clear readout!

21 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

You could, but then you have the UI clutter issue again.

Just make it toggleable for each stage and it won't be cluttery.

21 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I like the idea of the simple dev readout that just gives it to you in the editor. This way, the "lets see if I can make it on my dV that I know I have, but am not sure how efficienct I am" feel. Even if you do the dV calculations yourself, you still don't know how much you have left unless you really want to spend another ~10-20 minutes of playtime calculating it all over again for the remaining part of the spacecraft. 

I support @DMagic's mod idea, and I especially like the readout next to every stage.

If a delta-V calculator is added and then makes me calculate it by hand at any point in the game ever I will be disappointed. Don't want to use it in flight? Don't use it, but don't impose that choice on everyone.

16 hours ago, DMagic said:

I like the idea of providing a Delta V readout in the editor. It simplifies some issues and allows you to work around problems with weird designs by measuring dV separately for the different components of a vessel, like an Apollo-type orbiter and moon lander situation.

I also like keeping it simple and not cluttering up the UI with another window full of buttons and labels. I like the idea so much I went ahead and did it.

JwLFTTl.png

That looks very much like the way I imagined a stock readout would look, numbers for each stage, style matches stock, I assume you could click on the stage number in the staging list to show/hide details and a button at the bottom for the settings?

On 4/27/2017 at 5:28 AM, John FX said:

I assume you could click on the stage number in the staging list to show/hide details and a button at the bottom for the settings?

I'm not sure how much value there would be in disabling the readouts for individual stages in the editor, I'm sure that there are valid reasons for it, but just maybe not enough to make the effort to implement it :D. It adds a little bit of UI clutter, but the windows don't intercept mouse clicks, and you can adjust the transparency of the background so that it's little more than floating text. There is also the issue that the stage headers already have a mouse click handler for when you want to pick up a stage and drag it. It's probably still possible to differentiate short clicks from a click-and-drag, but it could be finicky in practice. For now you can right-click on the toolbar button to toggle the readouts or use a toggle button in the settings part of the control window.

If the same readouts were applied to the flight scene then I could see why it would be valuable to only display information for certain stages, or limit the display to the active stage.

Though for me, at least, a deltaV readout in flight is a very different thing than a readout in the editor. It's the same information, but it serves a different role in the two scenes.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:45 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Just make it toggleable for each stage and it won't be cluttery.

Mouse-over.

I still stand by the opinion that Squad shouldn't attempt this unless they're ready for a series of very quick iterations of the code doing bug fixing, but if they're going to add it in I should be able to shut it, and the calculations it does, completely off so that a mod can do the work instead.

Edited by regex

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

For now you can right-click on the toolbar button to toggle the readouts or use a toggle button in the settings part of the control window.

That is good enough. It sounds like far too much work to do the rest. Thank you for stepping up and doing the work @SQUAD said they would do but have not.

This is a good example of why I have given up on squad doing anything and all I want now is for KSP to be as moddable as possible.

I just want them to get rid of bugs, make the API as open as possible, and make the code stable because then mods will become stable.

• 1 year later...

Who was this? WHO PUSHED THE YES BUTTON? WELL DONE! -I admit it was me

yes in the engineer report window like @severedsolo in his mod did exactly how he did in the last line so when u finished(or think so)with your Rocketbuilding you can look in the bottomline if u have enough dV for your mission.

Edited by Burning Kan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.