No Rules Circumnavigation Race

If you like rules and circumnavigation, stop reading and see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25884-Kerbin-Circumnavigation-Challenge-Reloaded-New-Rules-Once-More, which you can circumvent.

The object of this is the most creative way to design and pilot a craft that can circumnavigate Kerban. In the fastest time.

There are no rules. You can even shoot down your competitors if you wish.

I will say it again.... THERE ARE NO RULES! The spirit is to be as creative in your design and piloting skills as you can. Leaderboards are developing in broad categories due to the creativity of entries.

There is still a good fight between low-orbit rockets and supersonic jets.

--------------

Leaderboard (for people using the universe the way it was designed)

Northstar1984 23:00 20 Mn Nuclear Pulse Rocket

zarakon 23:03 - rocket launch / glider "landing" (I use that term loosely)

FleshJeb 23:10 - Stock Rocket

Rakaydos 24:34 - multi-stage rocket - Thruster landing (no chutes!)

totalitor 28:33 - multi-stage rocket - Thruster landing

Voculus 30:58 - Jet - but mad props for landing at KSC runway

MarvinKitFox 31:00 "Speed(no y) Gonzales"

FleshJeb 33:36 in BSG Viper "Next time I'll remember to go West"

flipmcf 33:19 - brute force rocket, probe, parachute.

B1LL60 34:12 - Jet - Landed at KSC runway

Terrestrial Circumnavigators! (someone mention it... so do it)

Afraid of heights? You'll probably need a boat and a lot of time on your hands.

Reporting in:

SpaceK531 5:33:00 and STILL going! Somewhere west of the great crater. Check out his map and very entertaining story here

AeroQC hydrofoil & ICBrM "RIP Jonke Kerman"

Darren9 Another Boat!

Electric Circumnavigators

------------

koshelenkovv 6:03:00 - In his (oh so cute) electric prop plane

Madrias 6:03:26 - Fusion Powered, Dual Kerbal biplane

-----------

Alternate Leaderboards (for gods, deities, magicians, and silly people)

zarakon 4:59 - infinite fuel and infinitesimal mass.

---------

No Finish: (because you tried and wasted an hour of your life on this thread)

flipmcf: 48:10 - crashed on landing.

freefall1984 [no time] - landed within 10km but ran out of fuel so overshot

Rakaydos 24:24- Last transmission: "Damnit"

Fendelton More engines, more intakes, more boosters (more wings, more crashes)

Details:

Runway? Launchpad? Fine.

Solid rocket boosters? Ok.

Leave the atmosphere? Sounds like a plan.

20-stage beast? Fine, if you can accelerate that beast of a ship.

Wanna go East? West? North? you decide.

go straight up and let Kerban rotate below you? Sure, but 6 hours will probably be beaten.

Unmanned? Ok, fine, but what's the fun in that?

Parachutes? Fine. 2500m/s to Zero in 5 seconds just before you hit KSC sounds like fun!

Your time will be the MET on the clock when you COME TO A COMPLETE STOP at KSC. ANYWHERE AT KSC. Runway is cool, but unnecessary.

No, you can't just do mach 5 over the runway and say "I win!"

The command pod, a Kerbal, or a probe (something you can control & recover) must be in one piece at the finish.

A single wing at KSC that happened to be attached to a craft that circumnavigated in record time does not count as a "Finish"

The definition of circumnavigation means to go all the way around the planet. That means the minimum distance you need to cover is 3768km. (2*pi*600km)

(see http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin)

Don't fly to the pole, turn around, and come back. We don't think you are funny and you are hereby disqualified for being a smart-***.

Below are not rules for the race, but laws of physics in the universe which we live.

By following these, you can get the 'leaderboard' and not the 'alternate leaderboard'

Must use KSP only. No editors, debugging, or mods that bend space/time or alter stock parts.

The spirit is to work with what everyone has, not invent your own parts, alter existing parts, or change the universe to gain an advantage.

If this is the case, you live in a different universe and are hereby disqualified for not existing.

However, since the SPH does seem to allow clipping of parts, well... that's our universe. Use it. But you loose cool points if you abuse it because it's just not cool

Do I even need to say that you can't debug your way to 100km/s? Yeah, I guess I should too.

This competition is open to Kerbals only. No Gods, deities, or super-kerbal powers are allowed to compete.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Edited by flipmcf
leaderboard

I thought of this after building this little guy, however, he ran out of fuel so there was no finish. Most likely pilot error, not craft design.

She did however reach over 1500km/s at an altitude of 35km and the engines were still running, which I though was pretty cool. Flames are cool too.

I want to see what you guys/gals can do.

ABBEFD6E8EB265F4A1ECB15BBF2F95B410F0985F

Prohibiting usage of debug menu or certain mods counts as a rule, like it or not.

Also circumvention and circumnavigation are two rather different words.

Thank you, your vocabulary is quite superior to mine... I will make the corrections.

Your mastery of semantics is also superior to me. Call them rules if you wish. I choose to call them laws of physics. We can have this semantic argument in another thread if you wish.

I'll ask nicely for an admin to update the title to s/circumvention/circumnavigation/

Edited by flipmcf

Well, I tried to set a good time to start it out.... but, uh... landing... yeah.... oops

T+ 38:54 Decent time, but REALLY slow approach. This pilot is learning.

CBEA745ACE5965B60CE65476077E0ABA8E905D9E

Oops... Mostly Disintegrated after barely missing the VAB Hoping to keep the command pod intact.... but no shoots or abort setup. (safety equipment is just extra weight anyway)

6C690445D1A3FDAD0FDE45918B965CBDC8D76356

Time of Death: 48:10

That's 48minutes and 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

634FB60DBC390F95BADC31F4ABC37C5A953AFA11

So are mods that add new parts allowed or not? Your rules seem to be a little bit unclear about that.

YES.

As long as others can get the same mod so all competitors are on equal footing. A link to the mod you used would be nice. A mod you created yourself and refuse to share would not be fair now would it?

I'll probably throw a separate leaderboard up on the OP to distinguish between stock and mod competitions.

So are mods that add new parts allowed or not? Your rules seem to be a little bit unclear about that.

It sounds like it's stock only, "work with what everyone has"

I made something for one of these a while ago that I think was able to do it in under 30 minutes. I'll see if I can dig it up tonight

Hahaha! Go look up the fastest under 1000 challenge.... Look at the winner...(me) :)

And then imagine that craft with infina fuel!

Oooo if only I still had my copy of the game :(

Should infina fuel be allowed? I think so. But you may get an asterisk by your name :)

Why is everyone doing this with planes? You can circumnavigate Kerbin every 30 minutes with an orbiting spaceship.

I'm running off my battery at the moment, but when I get home I think I'm gonna do this with one of my SSTO rockets in a retrograde orbit.

How close do we need to be to the ksc, i landed within 10km but ran out of fuel so overshot

The mission report needs to say "landed at KSC" So, you can burn another 5 minutes turning around and getting there.

That is, if you didn't run out of fuel :)

Give me an approximate time, and I'll put you in the "No Finish" leaderboard - right next to me :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.