No Rules Circumnavigation Race

I will say it again.... THERE ARE NO RULES!

Rule #1, must circumnavigate Kerbin

Rule #2, COME TO A COMPLETE STOP at KSC

Rule #3, Must use stock parts

Ok, now that we have clarity on that.... NO RULES!, but stick to the rules....

The stipulation of "must land at KSC" eliminates my most promising design. Speedy Gonzales is a launchpad multistage rocket that accelerates all the way, including radial burn to stay in 70km"orbit" at 3800m/s. But landing accuracy is not good enough to impact KSC, despite the "absorbo-shok" landing lattice, rated at 800m/s landing speed.

Meh, let's chicken out.

Fire Speedy Gonzales, hire his little brother Speed(no y) Gonzales.

Around the World in 31 minutes, exactly.

Landed 2m outside the zone where a next launch would remove my souvenir for the memorial rocket park, due to "clearing obstruction" at the next launch.

Is this fast enough, accurate enough for you?

P.S. I left a few drops of fuel in the tank for you, if you wanted to go somewhere. Say Eeloo and back, or something. Less than 10000m/s left, sorry.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

P.S.

Liberal use of Mechjeb informational screens, including landing predictor.

No use of MechJeb control, other than finding pro/retro using smart sas.

Hope you don't mind MJ, it eliminates a lot of the high-speed guesswork when doing hypersonic reentries & precision landings.

P.P.S. Voculus: I didn't want to spoil your record flight by a work of art, with my basturdised rocket, so i hovered for about 3 seconds on that landing.

Edited by MarvinKitFox
proof-of-concept entry done

Voculus: I didn't want to spoil your record flight by a work of art, with my basturdised rocket, so i hovered for about 3 seconds on that landing.

Ha!

(and a few more words to make a post)

Edited by flipmcf

Zarakon: I tried the same infinite fuel ship, and couldn't get my time under 9 mins. I keep accelerating past 10km/s, which I think is good... but I can't keep my orbit under 50km.

Any pilot suggestions?

I didn't fly it very precisely at all. I tried to stay around 60km altitude, but at one point I got over 150km then dove back down to like 30km for a moment before recovering properly. I was also trying to go around 20km/s

the infinite fuel one I posted was not the same ship as the non-cheating one. It was just a probe with a bunch of sepratrons

Would a Hydrofoil entry be accepted? Granted, my craft's top speed is 92.1 m/s so it would take a while, but regardless would it be viable for the leaderboard? It's completely stock.

Here's a link: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/117/b/d/ksp_hydrofoil_by_aeroqc-d7g6b68.png

No rules! (except the obvious ones)

The point of this challenge is to challenge the status-quo.

If you actually did it, you may get a long time, but you have the distinct honor of circumnavigating without leaving the ground :) This opens up the challenge to rovers and boats and acrophobic vehicles.

Edited by flipmcf

Got inspired by the other boat, so I am making my own.

Top speed: 130/165 full/empty

Physwarp: 3x stable, as fuel goes down, physwarp goes down.

Range: upwards of 570 km,

Wheels: present, capable of slow travel over land (60 m/s or so). Proven in leg 2, necessary in leg 5 and to circumnavigate the globe (unless you get an airlift or travel in circles)

THE MAP:

PS4SGUR.jpg

I'll update this post as I make my way around the world, stopping at several fuel depots that I've placed in advance (hey, no rules!).

LEG 1 COMPLETE

At just under 0h 57m, the first leg completed and docked with the first fuel depot.

At 1:00:00, I pushed off to begin leg 2.

sFlMTw2.png

uJcxqDw.png

LEG 2 COMPLETE

At 1h 53m, the second leg was complete, and a minute later, the third leg had begun.

nDJPi7U.png

Recap:

LEG 3 COMPLETE

At 2h 43m, the third leg had been surpassed. Time to sleep before continuing.

MLWt1Oi.png

Recap:

LEG 4 COMPLETE

After some trials and tribulations, the fourth leg has been defeated at MET 3:43:18.

Vg48G0n.png

Recap:

LEG 5 COMPLETE

This is so far the most time-consuming leg. If you look at the screenshot timestamps, I began at around 5:00 PM and ended at around 9:00 PM. Nonetheless, at 4 hours and 39 minutes after I started, I joined with the 5th depot.

5Mw1m8j.png

Recap:

LEG 6 COMPLETE

Another boring ocean-only run. Finished at 5:33.

5N4J40Q.png

Recap:

Edited by SpaceK531
leg 6 complete!

Word of advice: Don't try this with infinite fuel and FAR installed on your game. I built a stubby little super-mainsail rocket, which hit mach 40 as it re-entered, shook itself apart, and then skipped back out into orbit from 10km in the air.

Might have to get a clean one (I realized belatedly I also had the rebalance mod installed) and try for something absurd again.

Rakaydos, did you just fly straight up and down? Your distance traveled is low

Look at Distance traveled over land.

I flew west, and maintained about a 1.5 TWR outward burn for most of my orbit. I was at 60 km on a kerbin escape trajectory most of my flight.

SpaceK531: I was hoping I'd get to see some land travel.

By the end of leg 5, there will probably be enough to last the rest of the journey :P

Also, this little challenge is giving my F9 key a good workout xD

Hi Everyone, new to this forum I'm B1LL60!

This is my effort for this challenge, I'd started giving it a go a while back not really being involved in any forums. It's all stock parts, no debug, no cheats, no mods, just standard Kerbal. Did a 90º climb, rotate 180º and gradually level off at about 25km on a heading of 270º. Total time 34.12, my craft the NKSP - K52 Phoenix Class - SPEEDRUN .3

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3280054973698881564/3099E04E62CE5FC03C45EF7CE08BDF8A3F98A141/

3099E04E62CE5FC03C45EF7CE08BDF8A3F98A141

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3280054973698436314/16B143B65C8DAD819793CC699FE5EF786DA5C285/

16B143B65C8DAD819793CC699FE5EF786DA5C285

Edited by B1LL60
URL Fail

Welcome B1LL60 ! Glad for you to join us!

Have fun, improve your time!

Are there any tips, tricks, pointers anyone can give me to try and eek out a bit to get sub 30 mins? I end up at a cruising height of around 37Km - 42Km and chasing the horizon. I've been giving this a go for a while to get sub 30 min but it's an invisible wall I can't quite get past. Any help much appreciated!

I know that's not strictly in the spirit of competition, but isn't the space industry full of collaborative efforts? ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.