Friday 4/25 at 6pm pst and ends Friday 5/2 at 6pm pst

Create a radially attached probe body designed for controlling spent stages

--------------------Stats-----------------------

ElectricCharge consumption =0.02777778

5 units of ElectricCharge

Reaction Wheel Torque = 0.5

SAS Module

-------------------------------------------------

The first thing you should probably be doing is gathering ideas/inspiration.

This is something I put together in 30 minutes. This week there isn't much of a guideline as the part could be many things. Get creative!

hVHKCUl.png

Some ideas/inspiration. Google images is great for this.

Link

Link

Link

Nice idea. I always have to stick a probe core inside a 6S compartment for this purpose.

People will need to be particularly careful with part orientation for a radial probe body since that determines what the navball shows.

I hadn't thought of that, I'll make note of it in the OP. I guess people just have to make sure that "up" is actually up. Also, kind of Off-topic, but I love your signature, and I've kind of adopted the same style for my own.

Edited by StarVision

Hi guys, I have a problem with my radial probe. Here is it:

565318Capture1.png

But in edit mode:

516105Capture.png

I created it in Sketchup and imported it into Blender and it looks fine in Sketchup.

Can someone help me please ? :)

PS: I apologize for my mistakes, I am French

Hi guys, I have a problem with my radial probe. Here is it:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/565318Capture1.png

But in edit mode:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/516105Capture.png

I created it in Sketchup and imported it into Blender and it looks fine in Sketchup.

Can someone help me please ? :)

PS: I apologize for my mistakes, I am French

You can trace your curves with simpler lines. Sketchup uses a lot of vertices for single line curves that sometimes can be traced with about 2-4 lines. Also, on some small parts, instead of using the circle tool, you can use polygon tool. just type the sides you want, then s, then enter (i.e: 6s + enter). After you do your best to make it simple in sketchup, you can go decimate it in blender (add modifier).

There are 3 faces refusing to merge, what can I do ?

And I test it in KSP without texture and it wasn'toriented up, what I did wrong ?

I think you're probably ok with 900 triangles, you don't need to worry about getting rid of every extra face, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

As for orientation, up in Blender is unfortunately not up in Unity, the z- and y-axes are switched. My solution to this is to always export my models as .fbx files to import into Unity (which defaults to 0.01 scale, so make sure to fix that). The Blender .fbx exporter has the option to swap the z- and y-axes (I think it is selected by default) so that everything is oriented properly. You can also try rotating the entire model 90o on the x-axis (and applying it with Ctrl-A?) then put the Blender file directly into Unity.

Picture is better than words:

I haven't changed its orientation in KSP, this is its default orientation.

Try resetting it's location and rotation in Blender. Ctrl+A is the shortcut. Does it look like this in Unity? Also regarding importing it into Unity, I'd just make sure that it is pointing up (z+ in Blender), and then just import the .blend file.

Edited by StarVision

It looks like that in Unity:

Is it supposed to be animated? If so get rid of the "always animate" options, get rid of the animator component, replace with an animation component (and if you're using Unity 4.3, don't, go back to Unity 4.2). If it isn't supposed to be animated get rid of the animation all together.

This could also be a part.cfg file problem. How are your nodes setup?

Not bad @darkside. Maybe you could make it thicker so that it intersects small radius cylinders. One of the more annoying things about KER is that the PCB model just looks like it's stuck on wherever it's stuck on and not as if it's part of the construction.

Not bad @darkside. Maybe you could make it thicker so that it intersects small radius cylinders. One of the more annoying things about KER is that the PCB model just looks like it's stuck on wherever it's stuck on and not as if it's part of the construction.

It is actually thick, just not very good light here so thickness is not apparent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.