The Open Part Mod - Week of 4/25 project started

StarVision

This is my first attempt at modeling, and I am thinking about entering it if I can get it to work in ksp.

http://i.imgur.com/KrYFQZu.png

If there is anything wrong please tell me and I will try to fix it.

One thing I noticed a bit in the previous competition, and this also applies here is that people need to use the edge split modifier more, especially on low res models.

Im not a modder but perhaps someone could need input for a design other than "a chip on the side of the rocket". I think the radial SAS from KW Rocketry looks great and maybe someone could design a radial probe which "encloses" the rocket the same way. The disadvantage is that it needs to be rescaled for the different diameters...

I didn't try to replicate what you're seeing, but I saw that the origin for your part is not at zero. Select the object in Blender, select origin to geometry (object tools on the left), then move the whole object to position 0,0,0 (push 'L', transform values are at the top). Import that into Unity, don't import any animations, export that to a .mu file and put it in KSP.

I put this in for the attachment node: node_attach = 0.0, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0

The 0.1 value could use some tweaking, but doesn't matter for my purpose. The 1.0 is the more important value here, fiddling with that will make the part attach to the parent part at different angles and is dependent upon how you orient the part in Unity.

Im not a modder but perhaps someone could need input for a design other than "a chip on the side of the rocket". I think the radial SAS from KW Rocketry looks great and maybe someone could design a radial probe which "encloses" the rocket the same way. The disadvantage is that it needs to be rescaled for the different diameters...

I thought about doing just that at first but then decided it would be too much of a ripoff to my taste.

Here is my part so far. I redid the model a bit and got it imported into the game. Works pretty good for my first mod. For some reason its hard to control (the craft may be top-heavy). I'm attempting to make it stock-a-like but with little luck. Also I am having trouble with the attach parts on the config. It's acting a bit weird. I got it to work after trying to place it on different places of the tank in the pics. When I try placing it, it is sideways so I have to rotate it to the right and it clips through the parts when I place it on certain parts.

Here's some pics.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

cRIO-9074

or, certainly Reliable Interface Ortifact - 9074

(the guy who named it didn't know how to spell artifact)

(Finished)

(In-Progress)

• Have the idea
  • Begin work in 3DS MAX
  • Begin cRIO model
  • Finish cRIO model
  • Texture cRIO model
  • Begin base model
  • Finish base model
  • Texture base model
  • Begin battery model
  • Finish battery model
  • Texture battery model
  • Begin blinky-light model
  • Finish blinky-light model
  • Texture blinky-light model
  • Import into unity
  • Apply emmisive animation
  • Write to GameData folder
  • Create .cfg file
    possibly {
  • Learn how to make a plugin
  • Make a plugin to stop the animation when charge == 0
    }
  • Test model
  • Make changes until model works
  • Figure out how to give other people the unity file (???) (rules require this)
  • Release part

Current progress, rendered by 3DS MAX

9HY87W3.png

Edited by SpaceK531

Hi guys, I have a problem with my radial probe. Here is it:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/565318Capture1.png

But in edit mode:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/516105Capture.png

I created it in Sketchup and imported it into Blender and it looks fine in Sketchup.

Can someone help me please ? :)

PS: I apologize for my mistakes, I am French

Or you just rebuild it lowpoly and bake a normal map from it.

Here is my part so far. I redid the model a bit and got it imported into the game. Works pretty good for my first mod. For some reason its hard to control (the craft may be top-heavy). I'm attempting to make it stock-a-like but with little luck. Also I am having trouble with the attach parts on the config. It's acting a bit weird. I got it to work after trying to place it on different places of the tank in the pics. When I try placing it, it is sideways so I have to rotate it to the right and it clips through the parts when I place it on certain parts.

Here's some pics.

http://imgur.com/a/YLdr3

To get the correct placement rotation when spawning the part, check your node_attach numbers. the first three are position, the next three are the rotation as a vector.

Go through the six options, and one will be correct. So 1,0,0 / -1,0,0 / 0,1,0 etc. if more than one number is non-zero you will get an angle.

Usually the number to set is the axis that points away from the craft from the attach point.

Oh. and if I remember correctly the final number is the scale of the attachment ball.

I didn't try to replicate what you're seeing, but I saw that the origin for your part is not at zero. Select the object in Blender, select origin to geometry (object tools on the left), then move the whole object to position 0,0,0 (push 'L', transform values are at the top). Import that into Unity, don't import any animations, export that to a .mu file and put it in KSP.

I put this in for the attachment node: node_attach = 0.0, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0

The 0.1 value could use some tweaking, but doesn't matter for my purpose. The 1.0 is the more important value here, fiddling with that will make the part attach to the parent part at different angles and is dependent upon how you orient the part in Unity.

Thank you for your answer. Now it needs texture and there is an another problem :

493218screenshot4.png

But it appears to be normal in its backside:

447837screenshot5.png

Or you just rebuild it lowpoly and bake a normal map from it.

Yes, this is what I'll do finally.

You just need to select that transparent part in blender and press control+while in edit mode. It'll flip the normals. Another is to completely recalculate the normals. It's just a flipped normal (the correct face of the texture is inside the model)

Protip: If you want to check flipped normals, go texture mode in blender, right beside the edit mode/object mode/wireframe mode, what ever you call that. lol.

Now I'm even more confused.

Set the shader in Unity to KSP Specular (or bumped specular, emissive specular, etc...) then you can adjust the specular slider and color to get the desired amount of shininess.

It's possible to use a single texture for both the diffuse texture and the specular map. To set it up you need to add an alpha channel to your texture then fill it in as desired. In Photoshop this is easy to do, just click on the 'channels' tab of the layers window, add a new channel and call it 'alpha 1'. Photoshop's built in .png plugin (which is the format I always use) is kind of terrible for saving alpha channels, so I always use SuperPNG.

For my textures I generally copy the final diffuse texture and paste that into the alpha channel as a starting point. This will give you a texture with your diffuse map on the RGB channel, and a black and white version of that on the alpha channel. You can then alter the alpha channel texture as needed. Fully white sections of the alpha channel allow for max shininess in the shader, fully black means no shine.

For a more complete look at alpha channels in .png files check out this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69137-How-to-correctly-edit-a-PNG-file-with-alpha-channel

Here's an example of one of my diffuse textures on the left, and a copy of the alpha channel on the right. Note the white circle at the top, that's for the mirror of my telescope so it's set at max shininess.

zur3UY4.jpg

Edited by DMagic

Ack, ninja'd with a much better explanation.

-edit 2: Doh, not even ninja'd. I just apparently don't know to check the next page of posts before I start writing.

Just ignore me, nothing to see here :huh:

Edited by Talisar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.