The Open Part Mod - Week of 4/25 project started

StarVision

To get the correct placement rotation when spawning the part, check your node_attach numbers. the first three are position, the next three are the rotation as a vector.

Go through the six options, and one will be correct. So 1,0,0 / -1,0,0 / 0,1,0 etc. if more than one number is non-zero you will get an angle.

Usually the number to set is the axis that points away from the craft from the attach point.

Oh. and if I remember correctly the final number is the scale of the attachment ball.

Thanks I got that to work. Now to make the textures more stock-a-like. :)

I'm kinda wondering if maybe I've gotten over my head.

Before I've made a shape in Blender, created a texture to layer over that shape and imported it into unity to convert the file formats. I don't know how to have like some of the mess be one texture, and some of it be this other shiny texture, That's what I was trying to get at, does it need to be a different mesh? so far I'm used to working with the idea my model all have 2 meshes, one body, one colider. On the front of my little box I want a solar panel, I want the panel to be shiny.

There's so much more here I feel like I need to learn but I'm striking out on how to learn them.

I've been following this thread for a while now and thought It would be fun to see if I could make a part. I have no real experience with modeling and know nothing about blender and almost nothing about unity. I have been having problems with my textures and shadows and was wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it.

aDzfrUY.png

Check your smoothing groups. Smoothing groups are channels (usually 1 through 32) that you can apply to faces to make it look like they are connected, like making an 18-sided polygon look like a cylinder. You may have those turned on for too many faces. You want each adjacent face to be its own smoothing group, so for your model you might only need 4 or 5.

i thought why not submit a part this week. i do need the practice both with texturing and... actually completing my assets:P. so here is my submission:

this is the first time iwe fully "hand painted" a texture map so its not the best. not the most aerodynamic thing eather, i tried to go for a stocklike look with the cartoony textures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

1410 tris, 512x512 texture map, diffuse shaded

Made in about 5 hours(Most time spent on textures)

unity and ksp folders:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yFzV-G4YPzdXhmYlBJM2d3ZTA/edit?usp=sharing

I had some issues with a bit poor planning of my uv map. I got a bit too focused on optimizing the layout that i reused too many of the faces. This made it difficult to get both smooth transitions and a good looking texture map. I even had to scrap my original idea for the textures because of this halfway. Well.. live and learn:P now i atleast know better for next time

Edited by landeTLS

Hmm. I didnt think about that. In unity the round top is what points up but it does mount with the wires facing to the right. So i guess the edge pointing up in the vab screens would be the "forward" direction. i didnt have the time to test it out. It may need tweaking to get the navball pointing correctly.

I've been following this thread for a while now and thought It would be fun to see if I could make a part. I have no real experience with modeling and know nothing about blender and almost nothing about unity. I have been having problems with my textures and shadows and was wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/aDzfrUY.png

Add the edge split modifier to the object. Otherwise it thinks everything is some sort of sphere when shading surfaces.

Nice parts guys! So I think my part is pretty much done. Is there a rule for using squad's textures? I used the battery texture and added some stuff so it looks stock-a-like. It straps on the side really good and can control stages. It's a bit hard to move but that is because of the required stats. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The download includes all the stuff that it says to have on OP. I don't know if I packed the Unity files correctly though. :P

Download

Quick update:

• Learned how to extrude along spline
  • Learned how to make a texture go along the extruded portion
  • Created ribbon cable
  • Created blinky light
  • Started on Digital Sidecar

QfJocln.png

(the artifacts on the cable will not show up ingame)

Edited by SpaceK531

Nice parts guys! So I think my part is pretty much done. Is there a rule for using squad's textures? I used the battery texture and added some stuff so it looks stock-a-like. It straps on the side really good and can control stages. It's a bit hard to move but that is because of the required stats. :)

http://imgur.com/a/Hqlcl

The download includes all the stuff that it says to have on OP. I don't know if I packed the Unity files correctly though. :P

Download

Looks really cool, great job!

There are a lot of awesome entries and I can't wait to see them all finished. About the Unity files that it says you NEED, all you really need to do is give us the Project folder in a zip file. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1: In Unity look in the top bar for the name of the project (which you created)

2: Go to My Documents and look for a folder with that name

3: Send to -> zipped folder

4: Put your part's folder (KSP/GameData/FOLDER) into the zip. It doesn't matter what it's called.

5: Upload with something (Dropbox, Mediafire, Google Drive, Mega...)

6: Post it in the Submissions Thread which will be posted Wednesday

There are a lot of awesome entries and I can't wait to see them all finished. About the Unity files that it says you NEED, all you really need to do is give us the Project folder in a zip file. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1: In Unity look in the top bar for the name of the project (which you created)

2: Go to My Documents and look for a folder with that name

3: Send to -> zipped folder

4: Put your part's folder (KSP/GameData/FOLDER) into the zip. It doesn't matter what it's called.

5: Upload with something (Dropbox, Mediafire, Google Drive, Mega...)

6: Post it in the Submissions Thread which will be posted Wednesday

Ok good, then I did it right. :)

Quick update:

• Learned how to extrude along spline
  • Learned how to make a texture go along the extruded portion
  • Created ribbon cable
  • Created blinky light
  • Started on Digital Sidecar

http://i.imgur.com/QfJocln.png

(the artifacts on the cable will not show up ingame)

Nice! Were you in FRC? Just got to welcome my team back from Champs via Skype; I graduated last year.

Nice! Were you in FRC? Just got to welcome my team back from Champs via Skype; I graduated last year.

I still am on a FIRST team, graduating this year. Congrats on getting to championships, my team pulled our first victory at the Corvallis District event. We did not make it past district championships though.

I'm having trouble getting the new version of PartTools to work in Unity...

How so? What I did was unzipped the part tools and put the folder in the assets folder of my project. Not sure if that is your problem, but hope I can help anyway.

I'm having trouble getting the new version of PartTools to work in Unity...

Just need to install Ptools 0.20 and get 0.23, copy it and replace the 0.20's but not by overwriting it, just delete it and paste 0.23's Ptools to the asset

I got my part into KSP, except it controls from the wrong angle. Here are some screenshots.
In Unity, just make sure that the part you want facing up in KSP, is also pointing up in Unity. You have to rotate the model itself, not the Empty Gameobject. So the Gameobject's rotation should be 0, but the model should be whatever rotation so that the antennae is upwards.

Here's the submissions thread. As long as your entry is posted by Friday 6:00pm PST then you're good. I'm afraid I can't let any entries past then because you cannot edit a poll.

Submission Thread

Alright, I finally managed to get my part working:

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w670/vendetta1130/9037f0eb-1e01-44ee-beb7-30851e1a3fc5_zps4f4de1b4.png

But I couldn't figure out how to get the lights to react to varying power levels (In a similar way to the small radial battery back). Any tips on how to do that?

And here's the DL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZITn5ZQ3VgVDhrdU1wNU5jWjA/edit?usp=sharing

Are you sure they actually do that? I looked in the cfg and I didn't find anything except the Resource. Also welcome to the Forums!

Are you sure they actually do that? I looked in the cfg and I didn't find anything except the Resource.

Actually they don't change colors, not anymore at least. I always remembered them switching between red,yellow and green... I think I'm going crazy.:confused:

Also welcome to the Forums!

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.