Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

My biggest sin is running out of fuel and then having the brilliant idea that i can salvage the situation by performing EVA

Jeb is on a huge orbit over kerbin... (he is one of the lucky one)

Rip Doodney kerman!

DoodneyKerball_zpsf3c74002.jpg

In literally every mission, I pop the parachutes at less than one hundred metres altitude. Those poor kerbals pull somewhere around 19 g's as they go from 150 m/s to 7 m/s in under a second!!!

Universe

I used to do this as well. But then I began testing my Eve lander and I learned very quickly that this is not an option on the purple Hell unless you want your lander setting down in multiple bits over a wide area. Staggered chutes and physical timewarp are the way to go for Eve, even for the impatient ones.

I do get frustrated at the slow acceleration when using efficient but underpowered ships with nuke engines to go to distant destinations like Jool.

This is a new one for me too.

I used to try to be efficient all the time, using the nuclear engines, just a few at a time so as not to overdo the weight, and so on.

Now I'm tired of long burns, so my new sin is: I'm doing my interplanetary transfers with the KR-2L. :)

I used to do this as well. But then I began testing my Eve lander and I learned very quickly that this is not an option on the purple Hell unless you want your lander setting down in multiple bits over a wide area. Staggered chutes and physical timewarp are the way to go for Eve, even for the impatient ones.

Have you tried realchutes? They have realistic opening to avoid the `chute explosion` effect. You can set the height they open, the time they take to open and how much drag they have so you could take, say, 5 seconds to open a very big chute on Eve and then slowly slow to landing speed for about 100m up. Best of both worlds, late opening AND less G-force.

I`m not sure this counts as a sin but I used to agree that docking space stations wasn`t easy, in fact it was pretty hard. You have to get you speed exactly right and align the docking ports really really well and then just thrust a little with your main engines and you`ll (most of the time) dock ok. You`ll have to use warp a fair amount to stop the megawobbling quickly and half the time you`ll lose some parts

Then I noticed someone using RCS on a youtube video and I thought "WOW! What mod does that!" and after a little digging I realised it was stock...

So the penalty for my sin is that docking is just way too easy now. I`m thinking of just not using RCS again.

In a similar vein I didn`t realise that some challenges were harder than others and I was pretty addicted to KSP at the time and so I landed on every body of the system to become a grandmaster. I thought it would be more fun to actually land a kerbal so I sent a little kerbal to every body. When they were halfway there the patch with flags came out so I got to plant the first flags on every body in the system.

Again my sin cost me the joy of discovery because I just did it first time (except for Moho and Tylo, they gave me some trouble) Now there is nowhere left to go...

To the pure and unsullied, you can only walk a path for the first time *once* and then never again. Don`t do everything all at once and then have nothing left to do.

To those who would punish the sinners, you must realise that the sin itself brings its own costs and punishment.

All hail the Kraken, may they be merciful.

Edited by John FX

I missed my retrograde burn window to establish an orbit on the mun during the early days of my Mun program. Bob and his ship were slingshotted into an elliptical solar orbit. There he stayed for over a year until I restarted my campaign for an update. Legend has it his poltergeist still roams the region of space between Kerbin and Duna, in the form we all know as... THE KRAKEN!

I'm sorry for creating the Kraken everyone.... ;.;

I have never even sent a probe to Moho, Dres, or Eeloo even though I could.

I know I could do it because with Kerbal Engineer and KAC I ran a simultaneous 3 ship science mission to Jool, with their sister ship going to Eve to drop off a probe during their transfer. I just... haven't, and I don't know why.

My struts often look like cobwebs. Sometime 2/3-3/4 of my entire part count will just be struts, struts, and more struts holding maybe three dozen or so actual rocket pieces together. I know you're not supposed to need as many with 0.23.5, but...

I just can't stop myself...

Wussie out on my original Space Station designs. I don't know how you do it, but after 3-4 docking missions Im sick of Orbital Rendevous and call it quits on whatever station Ive managed to assemble by then :P Biggest station Ive made was 6 difference pieces, and those pieces were very large. I didn't want to have more trips than I needed :P

I hate long nuclear burns, so I generally overbuild my launcher. This allows me to use the final stage of the launcher to complete most of the trans [iNSERT PLANET HERE]ian insertion burn with high TWR - and low Isp. This system of Chemical out, Nuclear home has only failed me once, where I forgot to disable crossfeed on a docking port.

I landed an asteroid from orbit as I was trying to stop it on an impact trajectory. It just bounced at orbital speeds, survived, and kept my crew alive. The G-force ripped the command pod from the clamp, but slowed it enough to make it a non-lethal impact. So there I was, three guys and an asteroid, sat on Kerbin's coast. I kind of prodded at it and took some surface sample. I feel bad for that, it seems cheaty to just slam an asteroid into the planet and exploit its science.

I use Mechjeb for rendezvous and docking nearly all the time. It is not that I can't rendezvous or dock but it is that I take way too long (usually over an hour in real time) to get a perfect rendezvous and docking.

I sometimes use the infinite fuel cheat. Nearly all the times I use infinite fuel, it is because I was flying really inefficiently, but the craft itself should have had the Delta-V to complete the mission.

I often use infinite EVA fuel on Minmus and the Mun. Usually because I landed in a sweet spot for science but don't feel like walking the way to a nearby biome and back.

I do a lot more unmanned missions than manned missions. Mainly because I am concerned about the safety of the Kerbals, I simply cannot kill them on purpose, or leave them dead.

I way overuse the revert and quickload feature. Usually to save Kerbals or to save the mission from my not-so-good (read: bad) piloting.

I meant to do an unmanned test of the fuel flow but forgot to remove the Kerbals. So I went ahead with the test, killed them because I was firing upper stage engines with the lower stage still attached and something blew up and the rocket fell over, and reverted to the VAB. On my permadeath save.

I had Corlo Kerman strap himself to my interplanetary lifter on a rover seat. Then I propelled him just to the edge of Kerbin's SOI, and let him drop back down. It was not a shallow re-entry.

P.S.: He did have a parachute, and it worked, and he was fine afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.