Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I.Cannot.Plane.

Seriously. Not once has the Illumian Empire invented a working aeroplane. Rockets? Pssh, easy. Hovercraft? We can do that. Interplanetary manned missions and colonys? You want that in pink or blue?

Nope. no Aeroplanes. Not here.

Realtalk: If anybody knows a good tutorial that'd be grand.

I.Cannot.Plane.

Seriously. Not once has the Illumian Empire invented a working aeroplane. Yadda, yadda, yadda, etc.

I can build planes all day long, but damned if I can fly one. It's always the same story; boy builds magnificent aeroplane, boy digs a hole with it. I'm best off with rockets. Them I get all day long. Planes? Nope.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I can build planes all day long, but damned if I can fly one. It's always the same story; boy builds magnificent aeroplane, boy digs a hole with it. I'm best off with rockets. Them I get all day long. Planes? Nope.

I used to have this issue a lot, but I find fine tuning the placement for control surfaces, and setting the right axis of movement for them can help a lot. SAS is absolutely necessary, or you'll end up plowing into the dirt.

Confession: I recently sent my first missions to Eve and Jool in my 0.90 Career save. They are both essentially the same design, saving only 'cutes on the Jool mission - tried and true, based on the same design I first sent to Jool. I only rearranged a few parts on the lander when I removed the parachutes. And apparently the antenna. Very kerbal, amirite?

So now, the Sin: I put together a little module that has docking clamps on both ends, a battery in the middle and an antenna stuck to the battery. I "launched" it by putting it onto the launch pad. Then I hyper-edited it into Eve orbit, docked my just-arrived Eve mission ship to it, and proceeded with the mission.

The justification: this mission is going to do SCANsat surveys of Eve and Gilley, land on Gilley, and then land - one way - on Eve. I couldn't in good conscience leave the little green guys incommunicado for years on end.

Yes, I know it's a thin justification but it's all I got.

Now the kicker: I just checked and my Jool mission ship has the same flaw. D'oh! At least those guys are going to come home again someday. I won't repeat my transgression for them.

I don't have an issue with the aerodynamics as they are, I spend most of my time in vacuum.

Aerodynamics decisions should not be made in vacuum.

On the contrary, maybe improved aerodynamics will be what makes aircrafts a more viable option for those who currently prefer to just get out of the atmosphere ASAP.

So for the past few days I've been working on a multi-year, fairly complex mission to rescue some Kerbonauts stranded on Duna and then have them do a quick visit to Ike to get the Explore Ike mission before I send them back to Kerban.

I had my rescue lander parked in orbit, hooked up to my Duna orbital station, waiting for fuel which I managed to get there without a hitch today. Got the lander fully fueled, plotted a landing zone, and even managed to land it within a kilometer of the crew...only to find out that I had inadvertently placed my landing gear so that my engine stuck out a good couple feet past them.

I tried to get a screenshot of my lander toppling like a felled oak, but unfortunately I hit F5 instead of F1....:blush:

Edited by Sidereus

I.Cannot.Plane.

Seriously. Not once has the Illumian Empire invented a working aeroplane. Rockets? Pssh, easy. Hovercraft? We can do that. Interplanetary manned missions and colonys? You want that in pink or blue?

This has some good tips on flying SSTOs to orbit and has a good selection of planes to download and try out to see how they work. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90747-Kerbodyne-SSTO-Division-Omnibus-Thread?highlight=kerbodyne

I.Cannot.Plane.

Why don't you look at this tutorial on how to make planes? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52080-Basic-Aircraft-Design-Explained-Simply-With-Pictures

I do not run vanilla - at all.

Hand optimized squad textures, modified part stats, a whole bunch of outrightly removed stock parts, removed interiors, modified techtree... then for the mods i use, the same procedure again, plus in some cases modified plugins.... to make them all fit each other and have the playstyle i want.

The result?

1GB mem usage instead of 2GB, 60fps instead of 15, all the different mod parts nicely fit each other..... however, the deepest level of hell obviously is what all this implies for upgrading. Basically, whenever a new KSP version comes out, i have to spend 20 hours just on one file at a time merging/updating my changes.... and of course exchanging ships with others is entirely out of the realm of possibility.... it's a compatibility nightmare.

Oh right, and i do regularily use part clipping - not so much to put things into each other, but more because i don't want to fight the editor all the time about attaching parts properly.

I'm better than Mechjeb at everything but suicide-burn yet I still use it by laziness.

I build extensive mission plan, infrastructure or multipart spaceship in orbit but never complete the mission/task they were meant for

I have never used FAR even though I wanted a better aerodynamic model

Hmmmm

I have only been outside of the Kerbin SOI less than 5 times.

I let mechjeb make my nodes

I rely on MJ or KER for important info, especially during launch

I never run stock.... ever.

I'm playing career more like science mode (I.E. cash flow is about 200% than normal), because I find science mode more fun but the contracts is fun for say missions to certain portions of the mun.

I keep using the debug menu for infinite fuel whenever KSP has decided that my encounter isn't an encounter any more... Could just pay more attention to the SOI changes and it'd probably stop happening, but I'm lazy and forgetful :)

I do not run vanilla - at all.

Hand optimized squad textures, modified part stats, a whole bunch of outrightly removed stock parts, removed interiors, modified techtree... then for the mods i use, the same procedure again, plus in some cases modified plugins.... to make them all fit each other and have the playstyle i want.

What did you delete. I tried to delete "interiors" but then I had no kerbals in lower right of the screen but only a black box and when clicking on EVA the game crashed. Please help.

Forgive me holy Kraken for I have sinned.

Ever since 0.90, I've been much, much more lenient and inclined towards part clipping. Offset gizmo is seeing a loooot of use. Parts are very often slightly clipped inside of eachother for nicer aesthetics, fuel tanks and other parts may be rotated at an angle and clipped inside the attaching part for design or aethetic purposes.

Though at least I still try to avoid excess clipping that would feel too "cheaty" to me.

Made a spacestation, put in a crew of 5. Decided I wanted to attach a massive 8 times 3000 liters fuel tank depot on it. That itself took 4 days of designing and failing to finally attach it. Had to use close to 40 thrusters and massive graphical glitching because of it to finally get it docked onto the original spacestation.

Then I decided it would be nice to swap the original crew of 5 for 3 newbies and have them stay in space for a week to get some XP. Launched a rocket with two 3 men pods, get into orbit, get close to the spacestation ... The kraken decided all the fuel tanks wanted to dance. One by one they exploded and I quickly decoupled that bit and used RCS on the people hub to fly it away.

I wasn't very happy at that point and decided to cancel the entire spacestation. Since I only had 3 few spots on the nearby rocket, I chose to abandon 2 people in the spacestation, before using the RCS to send it into the atmosphere.

TLDR: I forcefully killed 2 Kerbals because the Kraken wrecked my spacestation and I dediced to abandon it right there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.