Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Never started the career...

Unrelatedly, I'm a F5 abuser.

Man, with 0.90 I decided to stop being a pansy and turned out quickloading, quicksaving and reverting.

Really make my career more fun with the odd failure.

Lost three probe landers, killed Jeb by trying to get an airplane off the level 1 runway, blew up the pad twice...

Those have much more impact if I know I can't fix it by hitting a button.

-I can not land safely with an aircraft

-I am unable to dock manually. Using mecjeb mostly. I specifically collect science to open mecjeb upgrades in new career games.

-I sacrifice kerbals to succeed on missions (no return back to kerbin) I always use life support mods to ensure kerbals die on barren rocks.

-I always ignore conventional rockets when i get decent interstellar mod tech.

- I land aircraft with parachutes rather than landing gear. I also abuse the jet engines' high thrust to launch small aircraft vertically.

- I also strand kerbals for missions - though I don't use a life support mod. Sorry, but the contractor didn't pay for the return trip...

Edited by Spheniscine

1.) I use Mechjeb for orbital Rendezvous Because repeating the same task that NASA has been doing with computers over and over again seems stupid.

2.) I use an orbital transfer calculator to get to other planets Because screw that [noise], don't have the time or Paygrade of a NASA engineer to figure out Delta-V required.

3.) Often leave tiny teeny little fuel depots in 72KM orbit above Kerbin to actually allow my Space planes a chance to be space planes.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Changed one word.

1. Still an F5 abuser

I literally press F5 before any other key, and it's actually become an addiction; I'll do it even when I know full well it'll doom me to failure, such as when I'm close to the surface and going far too fast.

2. I revert any flight that kills a pilot

Hence my perfect, no kill record. I guess I'm just really soft over Kerbals.

3. I never bother realistically following time

Each mission is focussed on to the exclusion of all others, so instead of using the year and a half between Kerbin and where ever, I just time warp the whole thing. Especially inexcusable considering I got Kerbal Alarm Clock just so I wouldn't do this. And still do.

Parachutes are the first delta-V budget cut. Every. Single. Time.

I have a plan though, i'll use radial parachutes, and use KAS to ditch them once in LKO. That way, if something fails while i'm still getting into orbit around Kerbin, I still have the parachutes, but once i'm at my destination, the smaller stage doesn't have half a ton of extra weight.

I've never once used quicksaving or loading. I don't know if that's a bad or good thing, but I get a lot of failed missions.

I cannot for the life of me land spaceplanes. Normal planes? Sure. If it goes into space though it's not getting back safely.

I've never done a mission to dres. Never. I've attempted one to every other planet, but not the sad, lonely space potato.

Whee, I've got a lot of these!

I go to Minmus with every other launch, despite it being essentially the Novice Mode Moon with those super-flat lakebeds and super low gravity.

I don't have the patience for career mode. Infinite budget or no budget at all!

I've never landed on Tylo. (but I have landed on Thud*)

*My Thud landing made use of a highly illegal modded antimatter torch engine with crazy thrust and Isp.

I can never stick to mission plans - sometimes I fly all the way out to Jool with the intention of landing on Laythe, but land on Vall instead because why not.

I've never been to Moho.

I've never even attempted an Eve ascent despite clearly possessing the capability.

I've only landed on Duna once.

I haven't been to the Mun (barring my Munarch rope-swing thing) since version .22.

Since installing DRE, I've never even attempted aerocapture.

Prior to version .90, I hyperedited all of my motherships into orbit instead of building launch vehicles for them. (This has changed, now I use fusion boosters that are so OP that they're barely better)

I sometimes run extremely powerful antimatter and fusion engines close to KSC.

I made a self-insert kerbal and gave her a personal giant torchship.

I hate going home. In fact, I usually leave my kerbals on the body they're supposed to explore, even if they have enough fuel to come home, just because it's more fun to go play with Jeb on Vall than it is to have him in my crew roster at KSC.

I once made a launch vehicle that wasn't supposed to be an SSTO but ended up being one anyway.

And finally....

I don't know how to reenter safely!

q88xeqz.png

well, i do, in theory, but i don't do it often enough and am out of practice.

Hmmmmm

I also use mechjeb for rendezvous ops... and for launches prior to .90 (and still do for the first stage of my RSS/RO game....)

I've landed on Duna with a probe, but no Kerbal has ever set foot there.... and that is the extent of kerbalized exploration I've done.

No plane has ever landed safely after .23.5

Um.. I've editted my save to ensure my comsats stay put in their geosynch orbits...

My orbital stations become part <insert bad word here> and then get forgotten and unfinished.... (one of the reasons I have barely been outside of Kerbin's SOI)

Oh! I did ger a kerbal to Jool... literally, as he died during the aerobraking maneuver...

And probably many more that escape my memory right now.

Edited by Fizwalker

My two most common transgressions:

Using RCS to get my ships rotating, but using a quick time warp to stop them. It's just so convenient!

Rather than waiting to launch when a window opens, I'll put a ship in orbit first, then time warp it to the window I want. "A year in orbit first? Sure! No problem!"

I used hyperedit to farm science so I could get a new node

I made myself a rule to only use quickload when anbug occurs... But I used it to save a Kerbal from my stupidity.

Sometimes I launch station modules with a single mainsail and infinite fuel.

Edited by Wabbit

I used infite fuel for the first time today... To land on the mun... For some reason the dV stats kerbal engineer gave me were not near what they actually were when the rocket was on its way and my lazy ass decided to trust the numbers instead of thinking back to the 10000234032 mun missions I did before that seemed to carry a lot more fuel.

I feel dirty now.

I ran so low on funds, I accepted a 1.5 mil paying contract to land a rather big surface base on Ike. I used the stage that normally gets dropped when reaching LKO to get me all the way to Duna using infinite fuel. When circularizing my orbit around Ike I had a bug where I couldn't return to the space station or any other ship. Restarted KSP and my active contracts were gone.

I now have ~250k less than previously and the mission didn't reward anything. Karma 101. I deserved it.

Slapping RCS everywhere for controls and stability (I don't trust gimbals before).

Also, strut abuse - putting struts on EVERY section of the rocket and spacecraft just to make sure it won't wobble (even the slightest wobble isn't tolerable) and fall apart in-flight. End result: unnecessarily high parts count, which means LAG. Even small probes can have a part count of 20+, almost half of it are struts.

Those were back when I don't trust innate stability of the parts.

Example of RCS overkilling:

-Early energia copy.

KSP2012-01-0417-57-51-32.jpg

Examples of "Struts Everywhere!"

-Yes, even the engines have them.

t9u0r.png

I was not thinking clearly when I accepted a contract to make a Class D asteroid extrasolar in my Career Mode. After 8 hours attempting to make it work I turned on infinite fuel ;.;. Now I have like 5 Million funds so it feels like I'm playing Sandbox mode.

- I intentionally created a rocket that looked like a giant steel ***** with balls and grinned while I watched it "penetrate" kerbins atmosphere, taking multiple screenshots from different angles.

- I laughed when I killed a kerbal - it was an unplanned spontaneous disassembly event, so don´t blame me - but it lead me to find KJR mod that saved so many kerbal lifes thereafter.

1) Despite playing KSP for over half a year and considering myself to be an excellent (well, good enough) designer/engineer/pilot, I have never really landed on anything other than Mun, Minmus, Duna and Laythe. The latter two took Jeb over 10 years in the Mk1 inline cockpit and 11k deltaV to put flags on.

(I hope this changes, I'd like to do a grand tour... already got some ship plans in mind! Which brings me to the next point...)

2) ...I usually build a ship for a very specific mission, pimp it out to the maximum, and when I'm done testing, I'll abandon the mission idea and go build something else.

3) I abuse time warp and blame lag when I overshoot by millions of kilometers.

I set up a 6 man base on Laythe, only to realize later that Laythe is tidally locked and I'll never see the Jool-rise I was hoping for.

As a result the base was ignored for 3 years. Only now, a ship has been sent to pick up the (now bearded) crew.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.