Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

On 2/13/2016 at 8:05 AM, Atlas2342 said:

1. I always use Mechjeb.

Don't get me wrong, I know basic maneuvers. I'm just lazy.

2. Almost 2 years of playing KSP, still don't know how to dock.

Meh, too complicated for me....

3. I have never lasted more than 2 days playing career/science mode. 

Once again, I'm lazy...

wait isn't docking a basic maneuver?

I remember my first dock took 3 hours but then it finally clicked in my head.  I can now launch, rendezvous, and dock in about 10 minutes with out RCS

I feel like I am cheating now that control from here actually works for docking ports.  remember when it lined up with center of mass :/

Edited by Nich

I use HyperEdit to to fine tune my satellite networks. To soothe my conscience I get them into an orbit with the proper periapsis and apoapsis but I I don't have the patience to fine tune the orbit to create a stable network. I also use HyperEdit to test things like if a lander has appropriate heat shielding or parachutes by loading them onto the launchpad and then putting them into a reentry 'orbit', but I only feel minimally bad about that.

Edited by Dravin

I cannot play stock KSP. I ABSOLUTELY need at least kerbal Engineer and a dV map to fine-tune my spacecraft/rockets. Preferably I play with 64K or RSS since stock Kerbal just feels too small "wrong" somehow. I cannot play without procedural tanks and i strongly dislike the stock procedural fairings.

I rarely manually fly my space creations into space, nor do i manually land them, I let mechjeb handle that for most part.

I have 868 hours spent playing Kerbal space program since I bought the game some time ago. (I want to say around .17ish?)

I have never really played without mods, since downloading my first mod (mechjeb) (followed by tons of others)

I have no long lasting save files.. due to game breaking updates to some mods, which forced me to just restart my career.

I have used hyperedit on things I cannot seem to get to orbit (Ie too huge big to launch or would brake if launched normally (entire space station once/twice)) or for random things I like to test in orbit or in a recovery phase.

I rarely login to forums, rarely reply to threads, but do keep up on mod releases and some news stuff.

I have built overly complicated and large multi purpose ships only to use them once and never again.

I got annoyed with early career mode so edited my income/science to speed up unlocks (atleast a few times so far)

I like career mode for how it makes me work with less, and enjoy the science purpose (Id really like a midpoint between Sandbox/career mode so I could enjoy the science, without the management headaches) To me sandbox is like testing, and career gives purpose to doing science.

I really lack any ability to make my own ideas for mods work - in that I have had plenty of cool little part ideas only to have way to share the idea (cause I rarely login to forums/etc lol)

I have crashed the game due to running out of ram with 32b client so many times because I have run so many mods.

I have edited some config files to increase the DV of some engines or add more electrical output (damn thermal reactor) because it was annoying to have not enough power to land a ship on Kerban like I had wanted it to do without increasing the size of both engine and adding 2x more fuel.. Oh and the electric one was because of a mission launched sat, didnt have enough power via tiny solar panels at the time. (since fixed with Near future solar)

I ended up losing a multi year, 100+ missions with multiple launches of probes/satellites and 2-3 space stations / duna base / mun base / even a asteroid base or two - because I didnt back it up.

Never used part clipping, even if it makes the ship ugly or reduces performance.

Oh my worst offense.. reverting to vab, or hanger to rebuild if something goes wrong (ie launch failure) because I rarely use quick save (keep forgetting to use it)

Oh and finally - Never actually getting anything into orbit and leaving it there, after spending hours and hours designing, launching and reverting to rebuild..

When all else fails, add more boosters!

I design tons of craft in the VAB but often never fly them. 

All those poor unused craft... that never manage to see the stars, they either fail or I don't ever bother to conduct the mission they were designed for.

I haven't played much KSP lately.

I just haven't felt like playing it much lately, and when I do it's mainly flying aircraft rather than spacecraft, my Space Program is low on funds, and the game is somewhat laggy and crashy, and I am afraid of commencing Kerbbed interplanetary flights due to being afraid of miscalculating the Delta-V, and I haven't really been getting any new contracts, and the ones I have are semi-crazy and I'm not really interested in them, but they would cost alot to cancel. 

I likely won't update to 1.1, atleast until all the mods I use also get updated.

I feel like the better stability, more capacity for mods, etc aren't worth having to play Stock, as I prefer modded KSP to stock, as it really needs stuff like Delta-V readings, better graphics, etc.

Edited by DolphinDude3

13 hours ago, MikeRizzLe said:

I have taken sickdays from work to play KSP... more than once.

I try to limit this to once per month... thinking about making that one day every two months now... at least until 1.1 drops  :)

Ever since 1.0.x and the aero changes, I've become too dependent on Procedural Parts and TweakScale for perfectly-shaped-and-sized rockets. (Pre-1.0 I'd just stick extra tanks and engines in a monstrously un-aerodynamic fashion if a single Swivel isn't enough, but a Skipper was too large)

Oh boy...here I go...

I use MJ for interplanetary transfers

I always hated guess where the planets would be in 200+ day and setting a node with pinpoint accuracy.

OVERHEATING

This one is less of a sin than a bug, but whenever two of my ships get close after being far apart, the one I'm not using overheats in an instant, so I use the "Ignore Max Heat" cheat.

I have NEVER landed on Eve

Yes, my pro pic would suggest that I have, but I haven't. And that brings me to my final one...

I am a rookie piolt

I have little to my name other than some probe to Jool there and some Kerbs to the Mun here. I also have a probe in orbit of Duna, but that doesn't really matter.

Is that it? ... ... Yep that's all of them!

I have never performed a crewed mission to any surface beyond Minmus.  

Sure, I have done a crewed Duna flyby, probe landings on Duna and Eve, but never have I sent crew to any surface further than Minmus.  There are a few reasons for this.  One is time: I dislike sending out crew on long missions unless I feel like I have a vessel capable of supporting crew for that long.  No life support mods or anything, just feel like it needs to have an arbitrary sense of "quality of life" to it so the crew does not get cabin fever.  Secondly, I want to make sure that anyone I send out there I have a plan for recovery with a wide safety margin.  That makes me perhaps a little overly cautious, unwilling to take chances on an unproven design unless the theoretic performance of it is very generous.  And finally, since I do everything in career mode, I need to amass quite a budget before I even start building the crazy-expensive kind of systems vehicles that such restrictions would need, and even then I need to find ways to assemble it as cost-effectively (and aesthetically pleasingly) as possible so most of those funds can be channeled into the missions themselves.  

4 hours ago, MikeRizzLe said:

Another...  I play KSP from work.  Use Chrome Remote Desktop and remote into my home PC. Bit to laggy to actually fly a rocket, but I can still build and plan.  

I will have to remember that trick.  :D

Edited by Fearless Son

11 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I use MJ for interplanetary transfers

I always hated guess where the planets would be in 200+ day and setting a node with pinpoint accuracy.

I use KSPTOT for rendezvous with anything other than the simplest transfers (same plane, nearly circular), because I have trouble with "guess where my target will be" too :P

I have a huge problem with modding KSP:

I end up messing with the mods more than playing. When I installed kOS, I thought at least the nature of this mod would redirect this back into the game... nope, I still ended up messing with the sources of the plugin

4 hours ago, Alchemist said:

I have a huge problem with modding KSP:

I end up messing with the mods more than playing. When I installed kOS, I thought at least the nature of this mod would redirect this back into the game... nope, I still ended up messing with the sources of the plugin

Generally the same confession here.  Once I became a primary developer on the kOS team, I stopped playing career mode out to the end.  I usually spend way more time making the mod than playing, and so none of my career games get to the final tiers of tech anymore.  By the time a new KSP version comes out, I haven't got that far in the career and I just start a new career over again.

Case in point - I still haven't ever mined anything.  Too high up the tech tree to get to it by the time I start over.

It's just become a lot more fun to make a tool that other people use to do cool things than to do them myself.  It's a sort of more efficient means of feeling pride that way.  I get to feel a sliver of accomplishment every time someone else makes a successful script.  My confession: I really enjoy that for entirely selfish reasons.  It lets me get a little jolt of pride from of other people's work.

Edited by Steven Mading

More sins:

• I tend to strand kerbals, especially outside the Kerbin System, when a contract requires their presence somehow (crew report survey contracts for instance) but doesn't require a return
  • This is the main reason I installed KSI Placement Services, to avoid costs that ramp to infinity
  • And this is the only reason I've not tried a life support mod yet
  • I turn up the vacuum ambient light in PlanetShine because I'm too cheap to put lights on my craft (and I still can't seem to see anything I want to with them)
Edited by Spheniscine

I cheat all the time, through use of HyperEdit and debug.

I land planes with parachutes.

I have, to this date, abandoned 3 mothership concepts (Project Titan, Project Titan v2, and Project Odyssey). Project Titan v1 and Project odyssey were in orbit when I abandoned them.

I tried to edit a .sfs file and corrupted my save, but I forgot to make a backup.

I am physically incapable of making a stock install. When I try, steam just reinstalls my mods. It knows I can't live without them...

I have played KSP for 2 years and I still don't have a clue about how to build space planes.

On 2/18/2016 at 10:11 PM, maceemiller said:

For my sins I have never used mechjeb to launch, land, dock or whatever else it does, only for dV readouts (I use KER now) nor have I ever used the cheat menu or hyperedit. I feel ashamed......

Why are those sins? You basically said you are ashamed of not cheating.

The only reusable parts of my SSTOs and space shuttles is the cockpit.

On 2/15/2016 at 10:48 PM, Kerbtastic21 said:

Edited the files for demo parts for insane crash tolerance, and more fuel.

also broke the demo because of it and had to get a new one.

But now I can build a tiny shuttle -rocket- that can go to minmus.

(If i can ever get the orbit right.) :P

do you have the game?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.