Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I launched a mission to explore Duna, Ike and Dres. It would launch four probes, two to land on Duna, two with ScanSat equipment, and then it would rely on drills to refuel. As I approached the Duna system I launched the ScanSat probes only to realize they can't rotate. So I created a seperate opened it in NotePad++ and changed the small inline batteries into small inline reaction wheels. After creating a test ship with only three parts I studied what the parts looked like in the save file code, and I changed the name and the block of text determining it's function while leaving the text defining it's position and other qualities the same. Since the parts have the same size and shape the altered probes worked fine.

Later I landed the same ship on Ike and then realized that I had forgotten to double check how long the night was. Because it relies on solar power and because I have TAC life support installed Valentina, Bob and Bill would die from the lack of electricity, and simply turning off the drills and refinery were not enough. So using the power of Kerbal Attachment System and Hyper Edit, I teleported them some new batteries and had them installed onto the ship.

Maybe I should simply double check things before I launch my craft rather than cheating...

I refuse to take the time to launch a ground base in multiple launches... Especially when I want to transfer to a Joolian moon, or even to the Mun. So, I build them in a single piece, strap it to the top of my rocket, and strut like crazy. Low TWR keeps things from exploding on the way up, and gratuitous parachutes keeps it together while landing.

47 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

I almost never use action groups. I usually forget it while designing, and work around it by creative staging or extensive right clicking. And if that works, I never remember to fix it afterwards.

Well, since I installed kOS I just write functions (craft-specific in some cases) instead of action groups. sometimes even put those in a trigger working on action groups (making action groups dynamically this way). 
A fun case to make was multistage abort sequence - with automatically decoupling the LES couple seconds later and then actually waiting for proper conditions before deploying the chutes. All on a single backspace press!

Didn't discover the "maneuver node" feature until the return from a Dres + Jool mission a few months ago. Yes, I have been playing this game for several years by literally winging it and doing micro corrections. 

Same story for quick-saves.

As a result, I rarely bothered constructing ships in orbit, so I created these silly big rockets to boost everything into orbit in a single go, computer did not approve.

Never landed on Eve, that place is scary!

To save time and money I use one solid rocket booster and a separatron spam in order to catapult kerbals to a duna transfer, lets hope HSE never visits!

I start to design ships purely for a mission, but then decide to "expand" on capability, usually ending up with Frankenstein's impractical space monster machine.

One more than one occasion I have arrived at a new planet, and discovered that I only brought a single kerbal for the entire mission, having to leave the mothership unmanned while the kerbal takes the lander down.

I take kerbal shaming images!

I cannot build a 'big enough' SSTO space plane.  I will build a pretty big one, spend days or weeks tweaking the design until it gets to orbit with a nice payload, perform some quick and dirty space tricks, and then spend several more days re-loading saves/rebuilding and re-orbiting until I successfully land it at KSC.  Then the moment it lands safely and I have a good, well-tested design, I go start something else.  Something bigger.

I went through about 15 iterations of this compulsion until I ended up with a 6,000 ton tweakscaled bohemoth that checked all the space plane design boxes, and FAR indicated it should fly, but it would inevitably explode spectacularly just a few seconds into flight.  I spent about a month trying to fix the darn thing before I decided the game just wasn't going to let me fly something that ridiculously big to space.

So then I gave up and reset my goals, and thought 'how small of a payload-carrying SSTO can I build?', and I built one, and then I thought 'hmmn, it's just not quite big enough...'

and here we go again.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or does no one realize that no launch has ever, EVER, in the entire history of our civilisations spaceflight (did I mention 'ever' before?) been performed manually?

Using mechjeb ascent guidance is NOT a sin, it's standard practice. Please stop spamming this thread with that. If you can do it manually (and I can as well) good for you, but it's really not worth mentioning.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2014 at 7:48 PM, Maximus97 said:

I once left Jeb in a Minmus orbit when his capsule got stranded and never went back for him. I actually ended up deleting the save the incident occurred on.

Me too, same Jeb orbit around Minmus that time I deleted a full save! Don't say it was overkill :P

On 2/19/2016 at 0:20 AM, CrisInuyasha said:

Every single mission I do I become a kerbal murderer. Like this

Had the same landing issues with an old shuttle of mine. An impromptu landing outside of KSC couldn't happen really happen (Out of ~30 test landings, only 2 or 3 of those survived). And because of the lag of the shuttle being ~180 parts sans payload and booster only made KSC landings harder because I'm twitchy and would stall the plane trying avoid slamming down.

Sadly the shuttle used outdated mods so I'm going to have to rebuild her once again when 1.1 hits full release. My computer by no means is anything special, but having its full power alongside various optimizations means the take-off won't take 20 minutes and landing won't be a slow-mo 8 fps slideshow. Chances are I'll finally get to use this hanger queen for my big hauls, and possibly even deploy one to Laythe.

2 hours ago, kaesden said:

i'm guilty of not saving often enough. Not near often enough. Its by far my biggest sin, and has just recently bit me badly.

I've been found guilty of that on several occasions too.

But I've sinned even more by hacking the (quick) savefile to repair my mistakes :/

I ignore the passage of time in my games.

For example, I now have 6 kerbals in orbit around Duna that have been there for 20 years because I got distracted by putting satellites around every body in the system. 

Don't worry guys I just have the Jool moons and Pol left to do.  

In one of my old saves I left Jeb on Laythe for about 50 years.

I never captured class E asteroid into Kerbin orbit.

I use timewarp cheat to stabilize rotating vessel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.