Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

17 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I recently, for the first time ever, used the infinite fuel cheat to finish a land-and-return mission to the Mun, in career mode. I felt dirty afterwards.

I used it once because I sent a probe to Duna and forgot to put a damn antenna on it. It was for a FAT contract, too. I had a manned ship coming a few days behind it, so I did the braking burn for the manned ship as I would have done, and then turned on infinite fuel, matched the probes polar orbit, manually grabbed the science, burned back to the original orbit, and turned off infinite fuel.

On 6/9/2016 at 5:11 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

What's wrong with that? I use them all the time!

I know, I like them for that extra boost at the beginning.  But modern day real rockets don't seem to use them at all anymore.  And even in KSP, I think you can get a much more fuel efficient launch by just using LOX engines.

I put an emergency system (read: drogues to slow down, then regular parachutes to land) on every plane.

I make parts do things they were never intended for. Did you know that you can configure procedural fairings to have ablator and use them as heat shields?

I use procedural fairings without FAR.

I have over 130 mods on a 32-bit install, and it's 1.0.5.

On June 10, 2016 at 11:21 AM, JoeNapalm said:

Psst!

I eyeball everything.

I could do the math. I have all the tools at my fingertips - KER, Center of Mass/Thrust/Lift...

Instead I build it, light it, and launch it.

I'd say that 90% if the time, it works every time! :D

-Jn-

Same here. 

2 hours ago, DaMachinator said:

I put an emergency system (read: drogues to slow down, then regular parachutes to land) on every plane.

I make parts do things they were never intended for. Did you know that you can configure procedural fairings to have ablator and use them as heat shields?

I use procedural fairings without FAR.

I have over 130 mods on a 32-bit install, and it's 1.0.5.

I do the same thing with parachutes on planes. Worst of all, I can't even actually do spaceplanes. I just stick them on there in case I lose controllability midflight.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, Limeyp2 said:

I have used hyperedit to ship an unsuccessful mun lander back to Kerbin.

i use mechjeb for everything 

I cannot land planes, and so I usally end up decoupling the cockpit.

I use MJ for nearly everything. Probably why I'm a crappy pilot. I mean, I can do it on my own if I have to, but I find it tedious and prefer MJ.

On 6/10/2016 at 11:21 AM, JoeNapalm said:

Psst!

I eyeball everything.

I could do the math. I have all the tools at my fingertips - KER, Center of Mass/Thrust/Lift...

Instead I build it, light it, and launch it.

I'd say that 90% if the time, it works every time! :D

-Jn-

You Animal !!

I hyperedit planes to atmosphere planets just to buzz around, occasionally.

I set up stupidly complex transfers (I have one back from Minmus atm which will finally arrive at Kerbin Pe ( perikerb? ) in about 23 days ) just because they look fun on the map, and then get annoyed my crews are stuck in transit.

I have never built a full base on another planet. Seriously, I just build Stations in LKO (~100*100km) and sometimes send Kerbals up there.

Also, I've never built an SSTO that actually worked properly.

Oh, and I've only landed a Kerbal on Duna once.

*sigh* I don't like to kill Kerbals and will do anything possible to keep them from dieing. Like, seriously, I mostly build probes and satellites.

On 22.6.2016 at 0:03 AM, DaMachinator said:

I reenter with the Mk1 lander can (2.5m heatshield FTW).

I rarely add struts.

I've never successfully made it to another planet.

I do this all the time, bring enough fuel and you won't even need a heatshield. An engine and a tank works well as a heatshield anyway and saves weight.

OT: I'm a delta-v hoarder, I'm paranoid when it comes to delta-v, I'll build a 10km/s craft for a simple Mun mission. That's one of the reasons I'm not very good at regular career mode, my spacecrafts tend to be extremely expensive. I guess I just really wanna make sure my little green dudes make it back home in time for dinner.

For some reason, I enjoy building huge rockets that can carry 200-220 kerbals, then crashing and killing all the kerbals while laughing insanely at the EXPLOSIONS, then going to Space Center and leaving them all dead because I don't want 200 useless kerbs cluttering my Astronaut Complex. I named it The Executioner.

I also have built a contraption designed to systematically crush kerbals. I call that The Death Row.

Edited by vsully

I read thru a mission report and like almost every single post and then complain when i run out of likes too quickly.

I only use part clipping if I think it looks reasonable and would be feasible, so I'll clip all kinds of stuff into girders and structural components, but not into fuel tanks, batteries, or probe cores, if you get what I mean. (There's important stuff inside that probe core! I can't just stick monoprop tanks in it!)

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I...I haven't played 1.1.3 yet. 

I haven't either.

I have this fixation with constantly making things harder on myself. Not more grindy, just harder. For example, stock KSP pales for me, so I move on to RSS. RSS is so fun I have trouble going back to stock. So now my goal is to run all my rockets via KRPC and not touch the keyboard during the mission.

Needless to say, I haven't played much KSP at all lately...

I put off updating to patches since I got the game off the KSP website and I can't be bothered to manually move all the files around and update my one mod.

I cannot build planes for the life of me. I've only built one SSTO, and it carried no payload and went into three flatspins upon descent.

I'll revert saves like mad and even edit save files to make sure no Kerbal stays dead for long. I guess I just like them too much. On the flipside, I only use strictly uncrewed missions in Career mode, when I'm trying to be efficient and work under those part and mass limits.

I never build landers that hold more than 1 Kerbal and the only time I brought more than 1 Kerbal (in a Mk. 1 command pod, no less) on an interplanetary mission was when I absolutely needed both Jeb and Bob to make everything work out properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.