Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

- I played ~8k hours before KSP included a Dv calculator (if Squad said I didn't need it, then I didn't need it!). Now using the built-in one makes me feel dirty.

- When I am planning on sending someone on a one-way mission (Eve's surface, Jool with no return planned, etc.), I always draft Val for the job.

I have logged somewhere around 5000 hours in KSP, and done many of the things you can do in the game. I've docked multiple craft in orbit of multiple worlds, made BDA warplanes, a flying submarine, a spaceboat, landed an asteroid at the KSC, rescued kerbals from solar orbit, launched gigantic space stations and landers shaped like washing machines, put a Kerbmas tree on top of the VAB... But there are still two big things I haven't done.

I have not landed on Eve, or even visited Moho at all.

16 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I have not landed on Eve, or even visited Moho at all.

Eve is kind of a 'meh' for me. The only time I did an Eve ascent was before re-entry heating. Seeing some of the kludgey solutions to safely land an ascent vehicle turn me off. Not attempting an Eve ascent, for me, gets a "PASS".  :cool:.

Moho, however, is worth the trip down. In my 'anomaly hunt' mission, getting a crew down to the Mohole was a rewarding quest, if nothing else to see the Mohole up close (and drop something into it!). The view of Sol from that close is also amazing (with the right gfx mod, that is).

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Time to land on Eve

..with a boat would be pretty cool, I think.  

Once upon a time, I tried to make an underwater Eve base shaped like a turkey, with a small submarine for tooling around in. I got the stupid thing into LKO, but my skills weren't good enough to land it safely on the purple planet. That was quite a while ago though, maybe I'll try it again.

I open up the VAB to make a simple probe and launcher to complete a few contracts in my new career.

3 hours later I still haven't launched anything and for some reason am working on a monstrosity that weighs more 200t and would only make it to orbit if a black hole formed and brought space down to the KSC. Never mind being totally useless for my current contracts, and costing more than I currently have to spend.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite having 2750+ hours in the game, I've never built a successful SSTO spaceplane. (SSTO boosters, on the other hand, are a common accident in sandbox.)

I don't clean up my orbital debris. In fact, I silently hope to be struck by a stray booster at orbital velocity, to create an accident to react to.

I've also never seen a career through to completion, often losing motivation after Munar missions become routine. I was pretty far into a career save, but lost the save to a glitch after the update.

I abuse the destroy space debris feature in tracking station to build rover delivery landers.. Basically,  using the  telescoping hydraulics from Breaking Ground as the landing gear. The rover is cradled at the bottom of the rocket lander, attached with a docking port. The lander has everything per normal, except no engine. instead of an engine there is a docking port. At the bottom of the rover, I put decoupler + the engine for the lander. All the fuel for the lander is not a part of the rover. The rover must be able to fit inside the landing legs(telescoping hydraulics from Breaking ground). 

After the lander + rover lands, then decouple the engine from the bottom of the rover. This causes the engine to drop right underneath the rover. If you decouple the rover at this point, the rover will land on the dropped engine and Kraken Physics takes over which usually bad things happen. However, instead of dropping the rover on to the dropped/decoupled engine, go delete the engine first  through the tracking station destroy debris function. Now the rover can drop straight down from the attached lander and hit solid ground. 

-the shame of destroying  junk debris as a planned part of a mission

1 minute ago, Goaty1208 said:

I am triyng to build a U-Boat... the problem is making it reach water! Tips?

off topic, but how about attaching wheels on decouplers? Drive into the water and jettison the wheels.

BIGGEST KSP SIN IS

that I cheat with satellites missions, and when setting up relay network around planets. In career mode ofcourse. 

I just dont have the time to fly them all the way up from Kerbin. I use Alt+F12 cheat to get them around target planet, and them I fly them to designated orbit. Mission done in 10 minutes

My precious time in KSP must be saved for more entertaining missions. But without satellites and relays, there is no easy life in ksp career.. they are a must have

back before when I was a young noob and didn't know how to use the cheat menu or hyperedit, I ran out of electric charge a few meters above Gilly, so I lost all control without engine gimbal (was using terriers, they don't generate EC). After many hours of reloading and trying to land, I couldn't, and just gave up on (I think it was jeb?). Sad times... ;.;

1 hour ago, zeilden said:

my go to solution if i dont have enough twr to get off the landing pad is to strap the smallest srb all over every available surface - my computer hates me

Usually I strap tiny fuel tanks with vectors on them (or large but short fuel tanks with mammoths on them for sme of dat MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY) to have a constantly high TWR on my 4 kiloton rockets throughout the entire flight - my Xbox hates me and the lag is unbearable!

My first couple Career games, I tried to be meticulous with fuel calculations and dV to make sure I could complete whatever mission I was doing and yet have enough to get back safely. My current career... after completing various milestones, I creatively employ "refueling missions" (aka Hyperedit > Misc Tools > REFILL SLIDERS).

Again, first few games I was diligent about making maneuver nodes to get encounters, adjust transfers, plan rendezvous maneuvers. Now, I've been using MJ Rendezvous and Maneuver Planner to the point where... I'm not sure I could actually do a proper Hohman transfer anymore.

I've never been to Moho. Or Dres. And only once to Eve. I have around 2000 hours in this game, folks. (Note: I'm going to both Dres & Moho in my current Career.)

My most closely-guarded secret:

I was a KSP console player before I actually owned a PC capable of playing KSP. (The horror!)

Proof, my first post on the KSP forums: 

Actually, I only learned about KSP when I saw it launched on XBox in 2016 and then watched YouTube videos about it. I played maybe 2 short games on XBox. Then I bought a PC.

Edited by scottadges

20 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I was a KSP console player before I actually owned a PC capable of playing KSP. (The horror!)

I am playing ksp on the console, and is are planning to get a computer capable of running KSP2.

23 minutes ago, scottadges said:

My most closely-guarded secret:

Then why did you tell us?!? :rolleyes: 

I Have Killed About 5-6 Kerbals During An Accident When Were Trying To Go To Duna

And I Also Failed Landing My Own Bomber Plane ( The C - 1000 ) ( i Also failed bombing the ksp abandoned airfield)

Thats All

I Just like building...

Make sure to visit my steam workshop.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:52 PM, kerbiloid said:

Alt-F12, Cheats, Set Position, Longitude= - 74.4

You Can Use The Following Mods:

Kerbal Konstructs , Then Use Water Launch Sites For Kerbal Konstructs

On 3/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, zeilden said:

my go to solution if i dont have enough twr to get off the landing pad is to strap the smallest srb all over every available surface - my computer hates me

Next time try using the largest SRB.

~Computer, after lagging for 1 hour

11 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Sometimes, I spend a little time building planes to launch missiles into the KSC.

Me too. But I prefer the BDAC mod.

Once my Krew was converted to tourists because I use USI lifesupport and they all got homesick.

It was either load an earlier save....or...

I edited them back to normal in the save file.

Worked perfectly except that now, those 3 kerbals have their skill abbreviation (eg: "(S)" for scientist) in red now. I have no idea why or if there is a hidden kraken lurking in the save now, that will probably kill it just as I am about to reach the culmination of my entire KSP experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.