Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

2 hours ago, Corona688 said:

You don't even have to.  DV is quite literally a stock feature now.

Just because it's a stock feature doesn't mean I know what it means.  I have no clue if the amount of dV shown in the VAB is enough to get me anywhere or not, and I refuse to figure it out.  As I said, I use revert like I'm a kid in a candy store with a million bucks.

Im just going to put you in the eyes of the kerbals. Get ready for dialogue. 

"Alright bill, all systems ready for Ignition"

"Good thing bob, get ready for liftoff"

Launching in 5 4 3 2 1 Ignition sequence sta- *BOOM*

What you saw there is an example past me, using decouplers like they come in the mail everyday, and then smashing the parts together like the clueless, sinful, man I used to be.

Edited by KSC Internal Affairs
Mistake in writing

5 hours ago, KSC Internal Affairs said:

Im just going to put you in the eyes of the kerbals. Get ready for dialogue. 

"Alright bill, all systems ready for Ignition"

"Good thing bob, get ready for liftoff"

Launching in 5 4 3 2 1 Ignition sequence sta- *BOOM*

What you saw there is an example past me, using decouplers like they come in the mail everyday, and then smashing the parts together like the clueless, sinful, man I used to be.

Oh, if I had a nickel's worth of science points every time I staged something wrong...

I am completely incapable of operating without maneuver nodes 

I have no idea how Scott Manley does it! Its so impossible!

I cannot do a gravity turn for the life of me

Whenever I try to do a gravity turn I flip over! I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

I am almost incapable of building something new

I try really hard but somehow I am unable to build new and fresh designs!

I keep saying "I'll only use quickloading for bugs and glitches, and not anything that's my own fault" and I never adhere to it.

I just can't help myself. If this game was perfect and glitchless I'd gladly turn off quicksaves for an ironman-mode career, but since that's not the case I guess I'll keep telling myself this lie.

I've never played through a science or career playthrough all the way to land on every planet or unlocking the whole tech tree, etc.

I always end up starting a new one, either because I get board of my current save or I want to experience the next newest update from the beginning of a new save.

I've never fully completed any Eve mission I've attempted, leaving poor kerbals permanently stranded on the planet.

Now to be fair, Eve isn't the easiest planet to complete a mission on, but the fact that I've never bothered to try to finish even one makes me sad inside.

I've owned this game for several years now, but have never completed or even attempted any forum challenge.

This is just my own fault, plain and simple. I'm thinking to break this soon though, I really want to attempt something like the Jool-5 challenge for real.

I set docking port on the exuast of the engine on my first satelites (to stack them together) and realised they explode just after I start the engine when free from the mothership. They are still there on clumsy orbit with one antena and one diche each.

I send armada to Minmus with comsat pack ahead and forgot to deploy antena on this craft only. After over a week of mission I realised that I have no control over the first ship to arive (and to establish comnet) so it took next week to get it back in comnet on the free return trajectory.

5 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Your designs are obviously top heavy, so bring your COM down.

5 hours ago, J O N said:

oh okay

I'd reckon your problem is a high centre of pressure, not high COM. You want your rocket to be like an arrow - heavy in the front and draggy in the back. So put some big fins at the bottom.

Also, while steering into your gravity turn, you want to make small adjustments, not large pitching motions. Ideally you want your direction indicator to be very close to (or preferably inside) the prograde marker on the navball when you're in the lower atmosphere. Steering too far from prograde tends to make the atmosphere grab on the front of your craft and flip it.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Added gravity turn tips

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'd reckon your problem is a high centre of pressure, not high COM. You want your rocket to be like an arrow - heavy in the front and draggy in the back. So put some big fins at the bottom.

Yeah good idea, I usually put aero plane tail fins on my much larger rockets. I find it usually keeps them stable enough to exit the atmosphere.

3 hours ago, J O N said:

Yeah good idea, I usually put aero plane tail fins on my much larger rockets. I find it usually keeps them stable enough to exit the atmosphere.

It sounds again like a COM problem, and a pic would work wonders in this case of a few crafts with your COM showing. 

Because of the COP being pretty good with those fins

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Also, while steering into your gravity turn, you want to make small adjustments, not large pitching motions. Ideally you want your direction indicator to be very close to (or preferably inside) the prograde marker on the navball when you're in the lower atmosphere. Steering too far from prograde tends to make the atmosphere grab on the front of your craft and flip it.

Yes, very true. He could be over-rotating his craft with gimbal and fins, and then overcorrecting to fix, causing it to flip over. Its like driving, if you jerk a wheel to hard to one side, and do  the same the opposite way, your likely to flip side over side in a mostly-fatal crash. 

2 hours ago, Mikenike said:

It sounds again like a COM problem, and a pic would work wonders in this case of a few crafts with your COM showing. 

Because of the COP being pretty good with those fins

Yes, very true. He could be over-rotating his craft with gimbal and fins, and then overcorrecting to fix, causing it to flip over. Its like driving, if you jerk a wheel to hard to one side, and do  the same the opposite way, your likely to flip side over side in a mostly-fatal crash. 

The problem with flipping out is generally worst with my larger crafts (when I just decide to go full KSP mode and add fuel tanks and boosters until it works), my go to solution is to usually add more reaction wheels, cut down the thrust, use vectoring engines, or add more control surfaces. I have never actually really considered the COM when building rockets (until the lovely people on the internet gave me a pointer quite recently). I have finally made stable rockets thanks to the people who told me to check where my COM is compared to my aerodynamic overlay. Which also saved me quite a headache when launching some com sats today.

And, yes I have only very recently learned to try and avoid over correcting and moving outside the prograde marker. Sometimes my crashes are just a result of my impatience.

3 hours ago, J O N said:

The problem with flipping out is generally worst with my larger crafts

Dock them from parts in orbit. TWR has its limits on given tech.

For ascend on boosters You can use cheapest fins - they will burn when You get so high that they would be no longer usefull.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.