Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

On 11/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, J O N said:

I cannot do a gravity turn for the life of me

Whenever I try to do a gravity turn I flip over! I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

If You balance vessel corectly it will do the almost turn on its own. But usefull cargo to the tech we have always cause the problem so we fly as we do on the engines that we have.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, J O N said:

I am completely incapable of operating without maneuver nodes 

I have no idea how Scott Manley does it! Its so impossible!

In fact it is easier to manouver this way. Manouver nodes are help tools with some aproximation - if You test them on the edge of values (like touching gravity well of celestial body) You will find that You just dont get there even if few days before You had an icon that states You do.

16 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:
On 11/15/2020 at 12:36 AM, sir rocket said:

I never use maneuver nodes

how do you even manage to play the game?

every single action live. and I also  regularly forget to quicksave. I have lunar transfers mostly down, but interplanetary is starting to get bad

15 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:

I feel like it is almost the only way to do it.

Propably because of simplified physics of one and only celestial body afecting the vessel.

But I use nodes to predict what could happen, where and how long burn can take.

Yesterday I killed Jeb testing how far can get rcs backpack on da Mun.

Edited by vv3k70r

On 11/16/2020 at 5:08 AM, vv3k70r said:

If You balance vessel corectly it will do the almost turn on its own. But usefull cargo to the tech we have always cause the problem so we fly as we do on the engines that we have.

In fact it is easier to manouver this way. Manouver nodes are help tools with some aproximation - if You test them on the edge of values (like touching gravity well of celestial body) You will find that You just dont get there even if few days before You had an icon that states You do.

Yeah I did the first part, but I never considered the second part, thank you for the help!

I have sent a probe to Duna, a rescue mission to the Mun that landed within 24 KM of the target, and have made a shuttle FROM SCRATCH and flew it to orbit first try, but I simply CANNOT RENDEVOUS TO SAVE MY  (Kerbals’) LIFE. 

Rendezvous, not rendevous, sorry.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:06 AM, Kerminator K-100 said:

I have never gone past Duna, yet consider myself a KSP expert.

Just getting to Duna is evidence enough that you can get to the other planets if you really want to (even if you might not necessarily be able to land or even orbit about them).  All that takes is a bit of engineering to get enough dV.

Hm, my newest KSP sin?  Probably my oldest: I abandon my existing saves every new version.  Consequently, I have surprisingly few saves where I bothered to leave the Kerbin system (though even fewer where I didn't unlock the entire tech tree just from the Kerbin system).

On my fourth KSP launch ever, many months ago, Jeb was lost due to a misunderstanding of the navball. At the time, I thought "Oh, it says orbit! I'm in orbit! Wooohooooo" meanwhile, not looking at the map screen and seeing that I was very much not in orbit. I forget what happened after that, but somehow I thought Jeb was in orbit and would be fine, and he was very much NOT in orbit and NOT fine. 

RIP Jeb

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

On my fourth KSP launch ever, many months ago, Jeb was lost due to a misunderstanding of the navball. At the time, I thought "Oh, it says orbit! I'm in orbit! Wooohooooo" meanwhile, not looking at the map screen and seeing that I was very much not in orbit. I forget what happened after that, but somehow I thought Jeb was in orbit and would be fine, and he was very much NOT in orbit and NOT fine. 

RIP Jeb

You know you can bring him back, right? ;)

I can't be bothered to learn take off and landings properly. I find doing them slowly and safely too boring and not entertaining enough, so I always push things to the limit. And I crash often enough. I don't even conceive the idea of playing without saving the game often.

I grossly overestimate what I can do with my deltaV budget. I also tend to be overly optimistic regarding deltaV savings on manuevers, aerobraking, gravity assists. And time spent. I am successful at managing such an economy just often enough that it reinforces the belief for all the other times when I cannot.

I tend to put huge, heavy, superfluous things for the art, like extra labs or additional crew cabins. then I get all stingy trying to reduce mass for amenities like landing legs, ladders, attitude control, thrust, parachutes and thermal shields (those, i generally skip entirely).

I hate spaceplanes. Yet I spent a lot of time designing them (i had a mission that needed a spaceplane design, unfortunately).

I hate Dres, and I especially hate driving rovers on Dres. Yet I brough a rover to Dres on at least two separate occasions (then again, at least the first is justified because how would I learn that Dres is bad for rovers until I actually bring one there?)

After I get about halfway through the tech tree I just get burnt out and drop ksp for a while....

and I am very bad at finishing mission reports! (I still am maintaining Ad Astra, it’s just that imgur decided to stop working...just give me a bit!) I also massively overbuild rockets....I have a problem with over estimating deltav budgets. (And I do play on a modded system, so there really isn’t a deltav map.h..:I might make one sometime. Probably not...we’ll have to see. )

5 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Whaaaaaat!?!?! Can he be rebuilt better, stronger, and faster?

Reveal hidden contents

But then I have no immortalized hero of my space program :P

Nope. You just go in to your game's persistent file and change him back to "available" instead of "missing" and delete the numbers after "TOD ="

I "replace" vehicles sometimes when I run a mission to Duna for example.  I realized my SSTO transport couldn't get back off the surface, so I went back, modified the vehicle and used hyperedit to jump the old one back to kerbin, and jump the new one to the previous location. I justify it in my mind because I did in fact run the whole mission to Duna and back. Just a little cheating lol

I used hyperedit to jump an electric aircraft halfway across the surface of EVE because I messed up the encounter and landed the return rocket WAY too far away to fly at a top speed of 65m/s. 

I let 4 kerbals die because I was too lazy to reload the quicksave. It was way early in the mission and I would have had to re-fly a huge time consuming chunk of it. 

I built a tiny vehicle to accelerate a single kerbal vertically at ridiculous g-rates, it was so powerful it pushed the kerbal down from the external seat until he was behind the engines, and "blew up" lol not the vehicle, just the kerbal.

I take all my old space vehicles that are obsolete, and I use control probes to crash them into a crater on Mun. There is quite a bit of debri there :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.