Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Lately, I keep forgetting to deploy the solar panels once i am in orbit. Most fligths were crewed, so no big deal - though it's always a bit confusing at first when i try to point towards a manuever and the ship does not comply.

but in the last three days, i twice had to reload because i lost contact with a probe after forgetting to deploy solar panels

Now, as penance, I will write "I must not forget to deploy solar panels" 100 times

Spoiler

I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels

I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels - I must not forget to deploy solar panels

Spoiler

Of course, with copy-paste, it's not a serious penance

On 11/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, Superfluous J said:

This is exactly the opposite of correct.

No, if you have a top heavy craft, in the lower atmosphere and mid atmosphere, you have a chance to over rotate and not recover it because you COM is too high and aerodynamics will catch the front section and act as a pendulum. Your engines at that point are no longer facing the ground, they are now above a 90 degree angle, which only will help with the perdulum motion. Nothing at that point will save your craft, as undoubtably, your engines were running as you reached above horizontal in any direction. I say nothing becuase everything short of parachutes will save your craft, unless you quickload, or reset. And the amount of parachutes one would need for a large craft is expensive as  it adds nearly useless weight, because you will almost never use them. So, you can be the exact opposite of correct here as well, as it is a case by case basis. I meant that his COM was near the top most section of his craft.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:38 PM, KSC Internal Affairs said:

We would be among the richest of kerbals

I think I'd be the richest. I design everything from the ground up, not from the top down. So I constantly am rearranging the stages.

3 minutes ago, NutellaSandwich said:

I actually have never successfully landed on the mun. I have tried 7 times, 5 times I have gotten to the surface, and tipped over or used too much fuel. 

I mostly stay in LKO or below, but have gone to everywhere but Moho so far.

Edited by Mikenike

1 hour ago, NutellaSandwich said:

I actually have never successfully landed on the mun. I have tried 7 times, 5 times I have gotten to the surface, and tipped over or used too much fuel. 

That's pretty normal for most players who haven't gotten the technique down pat, and believe it or not, even veteran players still run into one or both issues from time to time!

The tipping over is because your rocket is too tall relative to its landing base.  You either need a wider lander, a shorter lander, wider landing leg base, or a suitably overpowered reaction wheel.  Also, try not to land on steep slopes; anything over 15 degrees is asking for trouble with most craft!

As for the fuel issue, packing enough is essential (the generally accepted goal is a minimum of 640dV down and 640dV back up for a total of 1280dV for an orbit-to-surface-to-orbit round trip; you'll need another 300dV for a return to Kerbin in the same craft).  So is technique: get the periapsis just below about 6KM over your target area, and focus on eliminating horizontal speed first!  The closer you are to the surface when you begin your descent, the less extra fuel you need to get there.

You'll get there.  Even Scott Manley's first Mun landing attempts ended in catastrophe, and he's an astrophysicist.  If the so many of us now can do better than he did back then, you can too!

Edited by SkyRender

Your mun lander does not need to be large.  Building small will save you so much delta-v.

unbalanced-lander.png

And throw away as much weight as you can before you leave.  This thing throws away an empty fuel tank and the science jr to save even more delta-v.

(too bad I forgot the heat shield.  oh well)

• 9 months later...

Forgive me Bob, for I have sinned.

I've just launched a Duna mission consisting of a flotilla of tiny probes as I didn't check the transfer window planner before I accepted the contract and I am 100 days past the best point. To prevent this from happening again, I checked all possible stock targets for upcoming windows and in 30 days or so I have a Dres window that a copy of my Duna science probe should be able to reach (which says more about my Duna mission than any potential Dres mission). Except, I realised that there was no way solar panels were going to cut it and I'd have to use RTGs, which I haven't researched yet.

So the problem is I need 1300ish science in the next 30 days. I've sort of done Minmus, so I decided to sent a station with a mobile lab, lander, rover and lots of fuel to the Mun and do all the biomes, each experiment done three times, once for transmission, once for return and once for the science lab . I'll even pick up all the science in Kerbin orbit, which I've already collected, and load it into the science lab to kick the research off.

• First Sin. I thoroughly tested my rover around the KSC. This was absolutely not science farming and the fact the it gave me about half the science I needed was completely beside the point. (Actually, it did show up a design flaw in the rover, so it was useful)
  • Second Sin. After absolutely not science farming the KSC once, I realised that I could add a mini-grabbing unit to the rover, repeat the grand tour of the KSC and then grab the launch clamp of the Mun rocket while it was on the pad to transfer the experiments to a experiment storage box I'd added to it. I could then put the experiments into the lab once I was in orbit and I'd get more data. I filled the lab up with about 60% of the experiments I collected. It felt.... dirty.

I don't like spending fuel to deorbit debris when rescuing kerbals, so I nab it with the grabbing unit, spin my vessel super fast using reaction wheels, and release in the retrograde direction. It's embarrassing how good I'm getting at timing the throws...

2 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

I could then put the experiments into the lab once I was in orbit and I'd get more data. I filled the lab up with about 60% of the experiments I collected.

No worries. I do that too.

It took me an hour to install OPM

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

Think Thought kerbals are not weren’t killable. The day I stopped I killed 4. In 2 hours of KSP.

So, I use the quicksave & revert button too much.

I use the quicksave & revert button too much.

Meh 15 is enough

I've spent thousands of hours building, flying and testing KSP planes, to the point I think little of operating them. 
I've fallen asleep to the whirr of jet engines as though in a real jetliner, only to wake to the sound of splashdown. 

Yes, I just fell asleep after cutting the engines for 'final' descent to KSC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.