Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

i killed Jeb on my first lunch... quite often.

Getting a high apoapsis on tech-tier 0 with FAR makes it pretty difficult to NOT kill kerbonaughts.

i could probably revamp my design and flight path to enter at a shallower angle, but I am always too lazy.

pod. solid booster. parachute.

GO.

I just need the science to unlock the first tier...

Jeb'll be back, he always comes back.

Is using the space center to delete debris a sin?

Only sinful because it wastes time. If you're going to do that, you might as well go into settings and move the debris slider to zero, the game will automatically delete it for you.

I've left Donmon Kerman on the surface of Eve for over 200 days. And when I say he's on the surface I mean he's on the surface. I forgot to put a ladder on his lander and his jetpack isn't powerful enough to lift him up to the hatch.

While's figuring out why my encounter nodes were not acting the way I planned (on the way to Duna) I decided to just wait until SoI change to figure it out. I had never been to Duna yet...

Well, Ike and I got to know each other... carnally.

I've not been back since! (been to occupied setting up a local RT network)

I am far too afraid to send any manned missions out of Kerbin's SoI.

Last time I did an interplanetary burn was for a rover mission to Duna. Crashed due to underestimated fuel requirements.

"I know I put solar panels and more RCS tanks on this thing before launch!" (alt-F12)

Sometimes I justify "saving time" with alt-F12 and/or hyperedit, rather than reverting or re-doing the mission because of:

Previously lost progress due to crashes or bugs.

"A real space ship would never have been built and launched without RCS tanks (or whichever part)."

"The only reason this didn't work is the limitations of the in-game tools."

Yesterday I built a science truck (omniwheels) for getting around to some local science experiments on Kerbin. For each time it blew up ( :rolleyes: ), I would hyperedit the next one back to that spot and continue. Who woulda thought a large truck might have trouble surviving at 80 m/s while off-roading.

I have never (yet) legitimately flew a ship to: Eelo, Jool, Moho, Eve, Dres; nor any moons aside from Kerbin's.

I cannot build decent ships without a Kerbal Engineering chip. I either have way too much or way too little Delta-V.

Without Scott Manley videos, I might never have achieved orbit.

Also, I may sometimes edit parts if they are not strong enough for my (ab)use.

Edited by 0Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Really? How can you have too much Delta-V? Seriously, though, you can never have too much. You'll always underestimate your requirements.

Okay, now me.

I've never successfully landed on any planet other than Kerbin. and even if I could, I can't fly without using MechJeb autopilot.

I've never built a space-capable spaceplane. I'm certain I might have but could never get it to orbit, but I've never even flown a stock plane to orbit.

I can spend hours, days, even weeks and months in case of my Eve lander on designing ships until they meet all my personal criteria and I will rigorously field test them using hyperedit until I am absolutely certain the craft is up to its task.

And then I won't actually fly the mission.

The reasoning being: "I know it works and my tech tree is maxed out. There's no point wasting time going there".

My mind works in weird ways.

Forgive me Jeb, it's been a month since my last confession.

I'm bad at EVA. EVA activities involving jet packs inevitably result in me cursing the hapless kerbal and raising inflammatory questions about his parentage. I cover my ships in ladders so my kerbals can hang on like scared kids at the pool.

I'm bad at EVA. EVA activities involving jet packs inevitably result in me cursing the hapless kerbal and raising inflammatory questions about his parentage. I cover my ships in ladders so my kerbals can hang on like scared kids at the pool.

So usually I am fine with EVA controls. As long as my victim is pointing on screen with head up, feet down, tummy towards target, I can pilot him through a dime-sized hole. But sometimes, and I don't quite understand why, I wind up with him pointing headfirst at the target. Then I have to a) totally revise which keys I am using to control the poor slob, and B) typically slam him head-first into the target at a non-negligible velocity. What is the word for that? "Shipobrake?"

(edit: Heh, "Shipobrake". I might make that my new user name.)

Edited by James_Eh

I've only built ONE functional plane. I have downloaded FAR, but never installed it. FAR scares me.

I used LV-N's only twice. Last time was my Moho mission. Wasted more than 2000 m/s of dV in correction burns because of the 15 minute transfer burn was done in one go. Rescue mission was a massive 5x KR2-L 1200 ton ship. I will never use LV-N's again. High TWR is close friend to MOAR BOOSTERS law.

I use time warp to stop rotation. Very common sin...

I don't use asparagus. I prefer to add some tanks, boosters and stages rather than fuel lines. The only one complaining is my processor due to part count rising.

I don't like Mechjeb and never tell people not to use it!!!. Yes, I know. I'm insane.

I hacked gravity once and forgot to switch gravity back when I got to LKO. My next launch (to Mün) reached Kerbin escape velocity at about 10.000 m. over launchpad. Switched to map view to begin my gravity turn and ..... WTF!!!

I installed KAS to attach forgotten RCS boosters and RCS tanks to my first Moho lander while in LKO. Too lazy to rebuild and refuel the interplanetary ship. It never got to Moho anyway, but RCS helped to dock with the rescue mission ship after I ran out of fuel mid-transfer.

-snip-

slam him head-first into the target at a non-negligible velocity. What is the word for that? "Shipobrake?"

-snip-

The term is lithobraking: using the lithosphere of a body in order to slow your velocity. As part of my confession, I'd like to state that I lithobrake more than I should, landing at ~7m/s. I know, the poor kerbals cri evrytim.

In my current save, I put Jeb Bill and Bob in a hitchhiker container that I later made into a crappy fueling station and left them there. Why? To avoid the whole "omg Jeb is so awesome" thing from my last save. I don't know, it just started to rub me weird. It also makes the game more interesting knowing that if my "best pilot" gets killed he won't immediately respawn for the next mission.

I have killed multiple Kerbals with the "quickloading causes them to violently fly off of ladders and break parachutes" bug.

I leave tons of debris in stable orbit of Kerbin. Usually empty orange tanks.

In my last save I purposely stranded a Kerbal on Duna and Eve. A rescue mission was sent for the one on Duna... 3 Kerbin years later.

I use Mechjeb on a lot of my ships, not because I can't fly, but because I get frustrated with turning large ships and doing long (over 2.5ish minute) burns. Mostly I just use smart a.s.s. and the execute next maneuver button.

I don't use "true asparagus" because on larger applications I always screw it up. Instead I use something similar that usually involves dropping concentric circles or x-patterns of center feeding tanks.

I don't use "true asparagus" because on larger applications I always screw it up. Instead I use something similar that usually involves dropping concentric circles or x-patterns of center feeding tanks.

Onion staging, I believe that's called.

I've never learned to use maneuver nodes. I do everything by hand/eyeball. Horribly inefficient, I know.

I've designed ships/stations with docking ports, but have never actually attempted a docking maneuver.

In order to bump up the IQ average in my Kerbanaut list, I built a Kotany Kay (I swear I'm not a Trekkie!) and exiled the 4 dumbest to a never-ending orbit around Kerbol.

I've landed many, many missions on the Mun, but only 2 on Minmus, and nothing on any other celestial body.

While I'm a good spaceship designer, planner, and navigator, my actual piloting skills leave something to be desired.

I can't remember the last time anyone but Jeb got off the ground in any of my career saves. I run a one-astronaut space program, it seems. Which isn't to say that I've never killed Jeb. That's what F9 is for. It does, however, mean that I've never stranded him (except by crashing, which also gets an F9).

I can build spaceplanes that can reach orbit and return, some have even done flybys of the Mun, but not one has ever successfully taken cargo to LKO. Oh, I airhog a bit too, but not to extremes. I can get there without it, it just doesn't feel as fun.

My first trip to Eeloo, back in 0.18.2, less than a month after I started playing, took something over 60 years AFTER I reached the right orbital height because I botched my transfer, and while I was able to find an intercept, it was several very long orbits later. Only my OCD managed to keep me going through 6 hours of max timewarp looking for a potential encounter.

I started playing KSP just about when maneuver nodes were added, so I have no excuse, I can't claim to have been doing it the way I already knew how, but I still didn't use them for the first two or three months I played. Oh, that Eeloo mission would have gone so much smoother if I had taken the time to figure out maneuver nodes.

Once while working on a more efficient method to rendezvous than the "kill relative velocity/thrust towards target/repeat until there" method, I managed to slam into the craft I was trying to dock with at somewhere over 100 m/s because I was paying more attention to my target-relative prograde vector than my distance to the target.

A few of the other confessions here sound very familiar as well. Asparagus staging (at least I've stopped doing the two, three, and even sometimes four layer deep monstrosities), forgetting solar panels, etc. :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.