Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Sent a Kerbal with the same name as my son(Kennie Kerman, totally random) on a one man mission to the North Pole to get science. Instead of climbing down the ladder, my Kerbal jumped, and disappeared in a white puff.

Have one, start a lots of large projects, that is major bases or expedition, install a bunch of mods to support them, run into the 4Gb limit like an Tylo lander with 2000 m/s dV.

Like having 5 project where part count is far past 500.

Once sent my dedicated planetary EVA explorer Bob off on a Minimus exploration EVA in just his suit, didn't think about slowing down till he had 0.2 left in his tanks. Think he slid, bounced, rolled about 5-10 km's, at one point looked like he might bounce into orbit. Bill and Dounian (Jeb was recovering from his latest test pilot accident (how exactly he was able to get that plane into the air after ripping off all but one wing part on the left side and then keep it in the air for 5 mins I'll never know)) didn't quite have the fuel left in the lander to come get him and then all return back to Kerbin. So Bob wound up walking about 20km back to the ship. Then jumped over it a few dozen times trying to get back in.

Egu6RLE.png

(Bob be nimble, Bob be quick, Bob jumped over the rocketship)

Was actually a very successful trip. Just learned a few things not to do.

Dark Force Engineering - Launching Kerbanauts into space since early 2014

Engineer to Mission Control - You know, maybe we should think about getting them down out of space at some point

​Mission Control to Engineers - Why, they seem happy up there?

After a while I just strap 4 x Thor SRBs to the wings and go to do something else.

This is not a sin my son, this is the gospel accord to Jeb.

"When your craft does not have enough power, thou shalt add moar boooosterz"

Thus spake Jebidiah Kerman upon the launch pad of Kerbal 1.

You know that glitch that sometimes happens where you can't place a new maneuvering point at all? Might have had a mission or two where that's happened, and no amount of reloading/restarting will fix that particular mission until the state of the vessel changes (orbiting - flying - landed-etc....) If that happens, and I can get the ship close to it's intercept position/speed, and still can't place a maneuvering point, I have on occassion edited the save file to clean up the orbit slightly (roughly the equivalent of 50-150 m/s of delta v worth of clean up, usually about what I wasted putting the ship into the intercept position without the maneuvering point(s). Also have edit launched a few massive constructs simply for testing purposes (ie don't want to spend a few hours trying to get some massive thing into orbit just to find out I forgot to strut something critical, or didn't place any docking ports on the now deployed refueling station tanks but rather on the isolated maneuvering tanks only. Then once the edit-launched construct is tested, re-edit its' orbit to send it crashing down.

Early on (maybe around 0.13 or 0.14) my greatest achievement in terms of velocity was making a manned sun-dive.

When nuclear thermal engines first came out I went on a interplanetary spree with testing their efficiency. I stranded a Kerbal on Duna and another on Moho.

During an Apollo-style Mun mission I failed to realize that the ascent module's fuel had been drained through bad design. Launch off of the mun got me up a few hundred meters and the craft fell back to the surface. The lander's design was such that it carried two mini lander cans atop the ascent engine and tanks. When it crashed back into the surface it pancaked, destroying the engines and lower can. The upper can survived the crash, stranding the one living Kerbal.

I hit the space bar not only when I want to get to the next stage, which always results in a tradgedy.

I hope I either get this under control before an economy (reputation for mia kerbals?) is introduced...

Maybe I should just remap it.

Met a friend at a party a few hours ago and he said, i owe him 200 hours of his life-time... when i posted some KSP videos on facebook he instantly bought the game and could not get off it since then and that it is completely my fault (so HE said)... :P Seems like the sins have reached real life... and finally a friend who plays KSP...

Tell him that you time warped back those 200 hours to him! :D

Anyway; I showed up to VAB so drunk one time that I built a rocket that only gained 500 meters before baptizing itself in the ocean...

Then, I, as Jeb, went on an EVA swim while Bob and German sank down to Davey Kermin's Locker because I thought it was fun to watch the lights in my space helmet go on under water...

I TOLD KASA THAT THEY DIED OF G-FORCES!!! *breaks down into a mess*

Bless me, KSPers, for I have sinned.

When I was trying to refuel my new spaceplane in orbit, I tried to get the tanker into an orbit which would intersect the plane.

I forgot my basic orbital mechanics. So the Hohmann transfer instead became a Hohmann cancel-orbital-speed-and-point-the-spacecraft-at-the-ground manoeuver . .

A tanker laden with fuel makes a very large crater when hitting the ground at over 200 m/s . . . . .

Edited by Johno
Comedic effect.

Sent Jeb off on another test flight in a new career with a new lander design, complete with landing rocket assembly ejection/abort option. When good ole Jeb saw that the downstages simply didn't have the power to finish getting him into orbit, and his lander engines did not have the strength in them to get him there without burning all his fuel, he went along with mission control's decision to test the ejection/abort system of the engines....while the ship was at a perpendicular angle to the travel path. So Jeb ejected the engine assembly while it was under power so that it would pull away, his chutes ejected as well to slow the command module down, then suddenly all mission control could pick up were three separate beacons from the now separated science jr modules as the ejected chutes pulled the command module into one of the legs of the lander.........Jeb's now recovering in his personal hospital room.....I think he spends more time there than on missions for some reason.

Ah well, can't wait till he's better, have a new ship for him to test. :)

I've been playing on and off for about a year (come August) and I've never gotten farther away from Kerbin than Duna.

My first rocket that successfully left Kerbin, left Jeb, Bill, and Bob stranded in a solar orbit.... I've never gone back for them... and I lost the save anyway.

I use MechJeb for most of my launches and rendezvousing.

I've never docked without the use of either NavyFish's mod or LazorTech

This probably isn't a real sin, but I copied a config file to add MechJeb to all the command pods and cores....

I've never successfully landed a jet engined plane with FAR installed.... Nor have I ever designed a useful space plane (Only successful one I've designed was a rocket plane that looks similar to an A-4... It holds 1 person and didn't achieve orbit, just managed to get out of Kerbin's atmosphere.)

I'm sure there are more.... But I don't.. Oh yeah, I've never finished building a station I've designed in the VAB.

I'm impatient so I always try to build ships with TWRs above one after achieving orbit....

Ok, that's really all I remember offhand.

Don't have the patience to fiddle around for orbital rendezvous - almost always get MJ to do that bit for me. Prev/next orbit buttons on manoeuvre nodes make it a lot easier but it's still a pain unless there's an intercept fairly soon. Much more likely to do my own docking now since I got the excellent navball docking alignment indicator (minimalist variant of navyfish's).

Also tend to restart saves with more goals in mind rather than stick with one. As a consequence there's some planets I've never even got a transfer window for, let alone visited. [Haven't tried to land on Eve yet, but that's for the obvious different reason].

And finally, I keep letting real life interfere and drag me away from KSP! Loads of overtime at the moment and it's usually 10pm by the time I even start the game :-(

I hear you on the whole using MJ to get close to the target.... I swore at one point to stop using MJ and learn how to do it on my own.... But it calculates the most appropriate window to set up the burn and.... I don't know how to do that... >.< And then I found that ALCOR lander command module.... Which has all these lovely features, but NEEDS MJ to use some of its features, and that pretty much sealed it for me. Although, I saw that there's a way to disable the autopilot parts of it, so I might try that sometime.

Bless me, KSPers, for I have sinned.

When I was trying to refuel my new spaceplane in orbit, I tried to get the tanker into an orbit which would intersect the plane.

I forgot my basic orbital mechanics. So the Hohmann transfer instead became a Hohmann cancel-orbital-speed-and-point-the-spacecraft-at-the-ground manoeuver . .

A tanker laden with fuel makes a very large crater when hitting the ground at over 200 m/s . . . . .

I don't know if you use Deadly Reentry, but I've been amazed at what survives to hit the ground.... (I had a fission reactor survive reentry and impact a landmass..... Glad there aren't any cities on the surface.....)

Edited by Fizwalker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.