Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Id have to say my notorious abuse of part clipping, and more recently editing fuel tanks to go from LFO to pure LF. Most of my long range SSTLs (single stage to laythe and beyond) have multiple clipped fuel tanks since i enjoy compact designs, and insist on internal missiles, ive started to use FLT-100s clipped into each other to get the desired range, all while having those tanks stacked sideways in a MK2 bomb bay to accomodate missiles to each side.

More recently, ive started using xenon tanks with 660 LF in them to maintain the same fuel/drymass fraction to make it at least fair in that regard. The xenon tank is the single best tank that can fit stacked beside 2 missiles in a mk2 bay, and since its heaviest, it means maximum fuel per tank, and less parts. Since part count has become more and more important (with increasing lag in subsequent updates), and the fact that i seem to be going back to massive capital ship battles where a single craft is in excess of 300 parts, every single part that is cut out of a vessel helps with this, and with 660 LF, it beats the 100 LF that FLT-100s have, making it way less parts with stacked fuel tanks.

Now i do not consider this cheating per say, since i tend to build alot of sci-fi designs, and in sci-fi movies craft are way smaller, lighter, and have insane ranges, but i still wish i could pull off my design style without having to resort to excessive clipping and having to edit fuel tanks to fit my needs (with the new nuke change to LF only, ive found myself using mods to edit many LFO tanks to storre pure LF, and even as much as edit xenon tanks to fit more fuel in a smaller volume (to keep the same fuel fraction).

Im just hoping U5 gives us some lag reduction, but until then, ill stick to my rather abusing mechanics to get what i want out of my ships without resorting to part spam.

Edited by panzer1b

- On my first land attempt (Mun) I ended up having to land on the dark side (I didn't know about RTGs), so my power died and so did my Kerbals

- I've been using only one craft since I started playing KSP in Nov/2014 (craft very much improved since, of course. can land on all bodies)

- Never played Career

- I use about 6 savegames every mission (like checkpoints)

- Modified the part file for LV-N to return it to pre 1.0 patch condition (gimbal, max temp, lf+ox, weight)

- Only bought the game on Steam after 1.0 came out (was using pirated version)

:)

On one of my first "successful" returns from Kerbin orbit, and due to staging or blind panic I deployed my parachutes early. So I EVA'ed my Kerbal and she flew out of the capsule, landed head first, and survived.

I only recruit and use lady Kerbals if I can help it. I'm sexist.

I once strapped a chair to the outside of a capsule and had a Kerbal get into it to see if she would survive re-entry. She did.

I left Bill stranded on the Mun for 2 years. I finally rescued him yesterday, after crashing landers alllll dayyyyyy longgggggg.

I sold a number of Kerbals into slavery to make a quick buck. I know it was wrong to do, but they were a bunch of losers that were annoying me at the time. I've also killed quite a few of them because I didn't want to fork out the cash for a probe body. At least I planted a flag on the Mun next to the a Kerbal that I abandoned to starve to death. There are just no snacks to be found on the Mun.

1) I way overbuild my craft, I frequently land back on kerbin with 8k or more DV once I have nukes (before that I am extremely frugal, but as cost pressure relaxes I get very lazy.)

2) I name craft "x station" and drop kerbals onto a planet permanently with a load of science equipment.

3) I am considering a hyperedit on my no cheat save, as I did not realize I could not time warp with a kerbal on a ladder. This is a rescue of both a low Jool orbit and a low Tylo orbit, but I did it with one pod, and it needs to make a rendezvous. I could drop a kerbal and refuel at a depot before going back, but I am too lazy to do it.

4) The only non atmo landings I can pull off are a suicide burn (which I am very good at after realism overhaul and needing to do it with a single ignition and little to no throttling.)

5) I dock by aligning ports and using main engines, I am terrible with RCS... I almost never bother even including it.

6) I sometimes build whackjobian monstrosities and use them, I have a craft named "JoolBus" which can SSTO to a landing on any body and return (except eve)... with 100 kerbals and all equipment. The thing is kraken bait though, it frequently destroys itself just sitting in orbit even without sas on (I end up tapping time warp frequently to settle it before it destroys itself if it starts shaking.) Incidentally this is where the craft listed in 3 would need to refuel, which is why I do not want to do it.

Edited by cerberusti

I use infant fuel, as I like my sleek space planes and find the old tech in KSP boring and re-living the past. I appreciate NASA, but would rather play a now to future space game. Also, I still don't know to post pictures to the forum :)

And now for round two of me confessing my KSP sins!

I have a *minor* habit of using a launchpad-destroying monster of a rocket to launch ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!

I destroy the admin building first thing in a career game and then ignore it for the rest of the game

My youtube diet consists of EnterElysium, Scott Manley, Danny2462, and thats about it!(not sure if that is a sin)

After doing an orbit of the Mun and gathering tonnes of science I returned home to find I was 3 points short of the next tech unlock. I ran the debug menu and gave myself +5 science so I could unlock the thing i wanted...

I felt bad for like 5 minutes though so it's all good :D

I use infant fuel, as I like my sleek space planes and find the old tech in KSP boring and re-living the past. I appreciate NASA, but would rather play a now to future space game. Also, I still don't know to post pictures to the forum :)

Wow, you really ARE evil. How do you get fuel out of infants? How many babies does it take to fuel a rocket? ;-)

After dozens of campaigns and about 2000h on the game, i restarted one with starting science and cash sliders maxed.

I have never completed my own objectives in campaign, and I restart another with other objectives.

All civilians in my Kerbin orbital station have died of starvation because i forgot to resupply them after Bob Kerman messed up with the snack stock.

I have never watched a Scott Manley video since i start playing (0.14) :X

Ok, other than aerobraking on Eve (I had only played for a month and with DRE on 0.90.0) I confess that underestimating my first proper SSTO in 1.0.4 was... Not good. I accidentally undershot my landing and landed in water, and only the capsule survived, just to be eaten by the Kraken. And when I launched a probe to Eeloo, I stupidly traded a fail trajectory with a scrape of Eeloos surface, which destroyed my probe. And after I crashed the SSTO I went to check on the remnants of the probe and it blew up the space centre after glitching out. Lesson: restart sandbox saves.

I biome-hop, extensively.(all biomes on Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus done, all but one biome on Duna was done by the first ship to get there, that ship then did all Ike biomes. First ship to Eve scraped the atmosphere for an extra biome after visiting all the Gilly biomes, then went and got all but 3 Moho biomes[could not find them due to no scanning done before hand])

Even now, I am a bit uncertain about letting my ship in orbit of Dres leave without visiting more biomes(even with the community tech tree completley filled out and nothing left to spend science on). I already visited 2 Dres biomes and drained them of their data, then went and grabbed a class C to use as a drop-tank for my trip to Jool, and I am still looking back at Dres thinking about all those neglected biomes.

I've never built any form of elegant rover-delivery system. My rovers either launch as a single stage from LKO to which ever body they're bound, or they're strapped to the front of a 10+ stage craft... and they usually land upside down unless it's a moon with low gravity and I have excessive amounts of RCS nodes and fuel on the rover.

Now I'm playing RSS/RO though, so I should probably shape up.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.