Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

13 minutes ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

CYLrApt.png

Go Bill! 

Mine: I am a nuclear maniac. Every single craft with a means of propulsion (not including rcs) that I have in orbit has at least 1 LV-N. Often like 6 of 8 LV-N's. It's bad because it would cause a serious nuclear accident if they collided. All Craft except satellites are also powered by RTG's. Now I just need BD Armory for some nukes... 

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I clip. A lot. I consider it the equivalent of engineering devices unavailable to me in the stock game: cutting, welding, molding, etc. I figure since I pay full price for the parts anyway, it's nobody's business if I cut some and only use a section here and there. I do it to get my craft looking the way I have in mind, and to solve engineering issues.

I gizmo. A lot. I've become very adept at creative part placement by crafty sequences of rotate, offset and rotate again, so I can place them just where I want/need them to be. Oftentimes, there's several parts in a 'row' that have to undergo a specific gizmo sequence to get the assembly exactly right, which makes me have to build 'backwards' and re-root a lot. It's worth it - aside from some specific cases where explosions ensue, it often helps the structural stability of craft. I just need to remember not to feed the gizmo after midnight.

I design for stock physics. I have no illusions of KSP physics being bound to any other laws than the Kerbal universe itself provides, and so I design, build and fly/use accordingly. Any resemblance to 'real' physics I consider pure coincidence. No conservation laws were harmed in the making of any of my craft.

Since 1.0.5 hit, a surprising number of my designs never went to space, nor were they ever even remotely intended to. I have perfectly good fun sometimes purposely NOT sending things to space, and I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. There, I said it.

Oh, and I'm absolutely horrible at naming my craft. 'TinyPlane17c' is perfectly adequate for me.

Edited by swjr-swis

On 6.6.2016 at 6:01 PM, JoeNapalm said:

Should...should we tell him about revert and quicksave?

I'm gonna tell him.

Someone's gotta tell him!!

-Jn-

Not always is a quicksave at hand
To lead me back to promised land.

(and sometimes revert isn't possible)

Edited by Carraux

1 hour ago, Carraux said:

Not always is a quicksave at hand
To lead me back to promised land.

(and sometimes revert isn't possible)

You know about named quick saves, yes? 

If not, press alt-F5 to name a specific save that will not get overwritten when you do a normal F5 quicksave. Press alt-F9 to load those named saves. 

1 hour ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

You know about named quick saves, yes? 

If not, press alt-F5 to name a specific save that will not get overwritten when you do a normal F5 quicksave. Press alt-F9 to load those named saves. 

And, by default, clones of dead Kerbals do eventually show up.

I go to great lengths to save them, and I can't say I've never reverted to do so, but I only trash saves to start new when forced to.

To each their own!

-Jn-

On 6/7/2016 at 0:24 AM, SorryDave said:

I've been posting and reading these forums since Aug 2014 and I never uploaded a user pic

10/10. Seriously, you deserve an award for resisting the temptation.

For me, though: my kerbals rarely go interplanetary. I mostly send probes all the time. Why, you ask?

I can't sleep knowing that there's a kerbal cramped in a capsule with nothing around him for millions of kilometers. I try to be realistic, forcing me to add reasonable living spaces in my interplanetary ships. That, and life support. All of that contributes to lag, and since KSP is as unstable as a KSP player's first VTOL aircraft, losing all my work when I press "Launch".

19 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

I like to design ships, but don't like to fly them and have a hangar full of useless designs that will never fly, like a 20-kerbal pod with 7000 m/s of delta-v designed for the Planet Nine challenge which never got updated  (@GregroxMun please update it!)

Just wait for PlanetPackX to come out. A terrestrial planet and a moon will be in a Planet Nine orbit.

My OCD won't let me add modded parts to the game. Even tweakscale feels dirty to me. I can only play with stock, and not clip. I actually open up service bays and use maximum zoom to make sure parts don't clip. What's wrong with me?

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I have to admit that in over 2 years of almost daily doses of KSP I've never intentionally clipped any parts.

Come on, don't be square, try it, you'll love it, it feels soo good...:cool:

Psst!

I eyeball everything.

I could do the math. I have all the tools at my fingertips - KER, Center of Mass/Thrust/Lift...

Instead I build it, light it, and launch it.

I'd say that 90% if the time, it works every time! :D

-Jn-

I like launch escape systems, one of my favorite parts of KSP is complex sequences of triggered events, a launch escape being a good example.

BUT, I never suffer a kerbal to die! If I have a CATO I revert and re-design or re-fly. Also, my launch strategy is pretty conservative, I rarely have an incident on launch.

So I have a bit of a conflict there, I cant bring myself to build a LES and purposefully scrag the launch so I can use it, that just goes against the grain.

So I end up having massively complex booster seperations with drougue chutes, sepatrons, sequential staging, ooh, I LOVE those "smartparts" which can trigger staging automatically.

If I ever do put a LES on something, the most use I get out of it is jettisoning it in space :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.