[0.23.5] KerbQuake 1.21 - Reactive Camera Shakes while IVA [5/4/14]

Sir Haxington

KerbQuake 1.21

Immersive IVA / FPS Reactive Camera

Download Here

Hey all, if you're like me you probably have hundreds of hours in KSP logged and you keep trying new things to make the game interesting. I got hooked on Mihara's Raster Prop Monitor mod and flying IVA, but something was missing. The universe felt a little dead... a little static. So, I put on my Unity hat and threw together KerbQuake, which adds camera shake for various events while in IVA mode.

Let me know of any bugs you find (I'm sure there will be edge cases that look weird) or if there are other mods you want me to support. Feedback is appreciated. Let me know if things don't shake like you'd expect, or shakes are missing, in the wrong places, are too strong, not strong enough etc.

--- 1.21 Features ---

Engine Shakes:

• The combined engines total thrust will shake the cam accordingly. Throttle up the mainsails!
  • (NEW) SRBs shake 2.5x more than their liquid fuel brethren.
  • (NEW) Jet engines shake reduced to nearly zero for smoother space plane rides.
  • (NEW) Max engine shake reduced slightly for easier button pressing.

Atmospheric Shakes:

• The more dense the atmosphere and the faster you move through it the more it'll shake.
  • Hitting terminal velocity will exaggerate the shake.
  • Re-entry FX will REALLY exaggerate the shake.
  • (NEW) Re-entry exits are smoother now.
  • (NEW) Overall effect of atmospheric shake reduced for better space plane flights.

Landing & Collision Shakes:

• Landing shake will depend on how hard you land and shakes when each part touches the ground / water.
  • Nearby collisions (parts popping off you ship on rough landings) will shake the cam hard.

Decouplers & Launch Clamps

• Decouplers total ejection force will shake accordingly.
  • Launch clamps will shake when released but won't be seen on larger take-offs.

Docking

• The cam will shake on successful docking, giving you visual feedback for IVA docking!

Parachutes

• Parachutes will add to the atmospheric shake while semi-deployed.
  • Parachutes will dampen the atmospheric shake while fully deployed.
  • Chutes will give a healthy shake when they go from semi-deployed to fully deployed.
  • RealChutes supported.

Rovers

• Wheeled vehicles will shake while moving over terrain.
  • (NEW) Fix for landing gear shakes, space planes shake on take off / landings now.
  • (NEW) Overall shake increased, especially outside of the Space Center.

(NEW) EVA (first person)

• Support for shakes in first person EVA using the "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" mod.
  • Shakes for RCS use.
  • Shakes for ladder grabs.
  • Shakes for landings and rough landings (ragdolls) based on impact speed.
  • Shakes for footsteps on low-G worlds.
  • Early / basic support for the FirstPersonEVA mod.

-----------------

Download Here

Source on GitHub

License

Edited by Sir Haxington

Thanks, license updated and added.

As for RealChutes, I haven't used them, but adding support for them I imagine would be pretty easy. I'll add that to the list + better shakes for wheeled things.

EDIT: As for thrust, I use the finalThrust total for all operational engines, so whatever thrust they are giving at that time is how much they scale the shake. I do limit it as not to go too crazy, the new NASA parts or a few mainsails on full throttle hit the cap.

Edited by Sir Haxington

I guess you can also implement some sort of camera swaying/shaking effect even when in external view if the rocket/aircraft is in atmosphere and is flying fast/having big thrust... (like in some of those air-combat related games)

Did you just listen to my rant on modders irc?? xD This is something I was requesting for a long time. Lots of people told me it wont work cause of scale differences between internal and external models.

But don't stop here!!!

You should make the camera react with g-forces more than just shakes on certain events. Like a camera on a spring and damper, like it's usually done in racing simulations.

Also, take a look at EZdok plugin for FSX, it's the most realistic head shake ever done for a game. It basically has a few layers of noise with filters + g-forces. It's just incredible what kind of immersion it gives to the player. This is something that was missing from KSP all the time.

Well, since ferram4's Eotena is pushing a good 20-30 thousand tons at 1.2TWR, it's very good you clamp it, but it means any rocket larger than, say, Titan 2 will have the same amount of shake (remember that some of us play real-scale, so 40MN thrust is merely a Saturn V-level heavy lifter).

Just added RealChute support. Those chutes tend to open slowly over a few seconds (whereas the stock shutes "pop" open) so I skipped the hard shake on open, but having them deployed / predeployed will affect the atmospheric shake like stock chutes.

Also, I added support for rovers / wheeled vehicles. So you get some bump while driving over terrain. Should make IVA Mun missions a little more exciting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.