[0.23.5] KerbQuake 1.21 - Reactive Camera Shakes while IVA [5/4/14]

Sir Haxington

Fantastic, good to hear. I had go in a spaceplane later on with this, and while flying it was much better than my experience using it for rovers. Add in that the plane lost control, ran out of power, all the rasterprop screens went dead and then the plane broke in half while trying to fight control back, all in IVA and seeing the back half go past with a shaking screen, it was pretty intense stuff!

@ObsessedWithKSP: I tried tried window clicking / zoom and it seemed to work for me. Try a bigger engine and let me know if it's still not working.

No, you're absolutely correct, sorry. I guess my video wasn't shaking enough, but having just done a re-entry from Minmus, I can definitely say that window clicking does maintain the shaking :P

This mod seems to cause me some crackling sound effects when in IVA mode. I'm also using Atmospheric Sound Enhancement, but this never happened beforehand.

I've also just got finished with a very large single launch lander vessel to Duna (220 parts, 562 tonnes) so my 1st stage has the large 3.5m Kerbodyne engine along with 4 stretchy SRBs, and BOY does it shake in the cockpit. You better have your menus setup before launch, because it's almost impossible to click any buttons. Kind of wish you could smooth out the shaking a bit more, it seems a bit too 'random' with how it jars your POV.

First up love the mod! This and the ALCOR lander pod have got me into flying IVA! Are there any known mods this doesn't play well with? Reason for asking is on take off I get a whole metric ton of these:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerbQuake.KerbQuake.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

They seem to stop as KerbQuake finishes doing its thing in the upper atmosphere.

First up love the mod! This and the ALCOR lander pod have got me into flying IVA! Are there any known mods this doesn't play well with? Reason for asking is on take off I get a whole metric ton of these:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerbQuake.KerbQuake.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

They seem to stop as KerbQuake finishes doing its thing in the upper atmosphere.

Do me a favor, can you let me know what mods you're using and post the craft file you used? I changed some stuff locally and haven't seen any errors in a while. I've tested the plugin against a pretty mod heavy build of my own (including now adding AtmosphericSoundEnhancement which I didn't even know existed :D) and the only error I get is a EditorLogic.Lock spam that shows up every frame, but that's due to mods that haven't been re-compiled for 0.23 from my understanding.

In other news, I'm getting the first person EVA mod (ForceIVA) to work with KerbQuake as well. In a local build, RCS now shakes the cam a bit when you're in first person EVA mode. Also shakes play where shifts between anim states occur as a test... I just need to define the shake logic better for various state transitions and I'll do a new release.

I do want to check for any bugs that pop up first though so please let me know what mods you're running and post up your craft files for me if you get the chance.

I'd love to post my mods and .craft file but it would take you longer to assemble my mods than it will to find the problem another way :P I currently have 82 plus 2 squad folders in Game Data, some of those have extra mods installed inside / are modded mods / have parts I never use or don't like removed...

currentmodlist_zpsed9f55bc.png

The problem occurs on launchpad then through take off, in the atmosphere and on the first two sages of a rocket when I notice frame rate drop and lag. In the de-bug menu are the exceptions listed. This particular rocket has KW boosters with a single Nova punch 2.5m engine, procedural parts tanks and some stock fins. In later stages I got no errors but am in space with no kerbquake effects happening.

Mods I have that effect textures / graphics / GFX and all at latest versions :

ActiveTextureManagement

Blackhearts SRB textures plus procedural fairings KW pack.

Blizzy's ambient light adjustment

DeadlyReentry

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

EnhancedNavBall

FerramAerospaceResearch

Firespitter

Goodspeed - has a part resize function

HullCameraVDS

KineTechAnimation - from the KSO.

Kezamit - Procedural farings

MP_Nazari - Hotrockets - Removed due to module manager error.

NavBallTextureExport

ProceduralParts

Romfarer - Lazor system

SmokeScreen

TextureReplacer - version 1.4.1 that is currently in my spacesuit packs.

VesselView - With RPM compatibility.

Hopefully you can look at the list and eliminate most of the mods. The rest of the mods I use are mainly parts. Believe it or not my installed mods play really well together :P

*Update*

Removed Blizzys Ambient light - still happens.

Removed Hotrockets - still happens.

Removed Enhanced Navball - still happens.

Removed Environmental enhancements - still happens.

Removed HullCameraVDS - still happens.

Removed Navball texture export - still happens.

Removed Romfarer lazor system - still happens.

Removed Smokescreen - still happens.

Removed TextureReplacer - still happens.

Removed Vessel View - still happens.

Removing KerbQuake stops the errors.

It's just occurred to me that Kerbal Joint Re-enforcement effects physics. Could this be the problem?

Sorry for the long post but trying to be thorough in the search for a conflict.

Edited by Green Skull

@pingopete: I'm looking at that now, locally I think the space planes shake too much too. It's mostly an atmospheric density issue I need to work out. I could easily fix it by throwing drag into the mix, but a lot of people play with FAR and I'm not sure how to get / interpret FAR's aerodynamics as they're a lot more complicated. With the stock game I could use a single variable to alter shake (get the drag of the vessel, apply shake appropriately), with FAR who knows.

@Green Skull: Thanks for looking into it. If you get a sec, try this pre-release (just swap out DLLs) and see if you still get the issue since I shifted some code around. It's also a debug DLL so maybe I'll get better console info. I have a feeling the problem is a part / part module thing, or the way the craft is built somehow breaks a shake case in my code, especially as you say the issue goes away in the upper atmosphere (which to me means some part detached and is no longer being accounted for so the issue stops).

You say log spam starts when the ship is on the pad right? Looking at the .craft file (not in game, just the raw text of it) might give me some indication of what could cause the issue.

Oh, and if you use that DLL and play with this mod you'll see a basically finished version of the first person EVA shakes. I'm pretty much done with that, I'm going to fix the space plane stuff, the console spam bugs and do another update.

Edited by Sir Haxington

@pingopete: I'm looking at that now, locally I think the space planes shake too much too. It's mostly an atmospheric density issue I need to work out. I could easily fix it by throwing drag into the mix, but a lot of people play with FAR and I'm not sure how to get / interpret FAR's aerodynamics as they're a lot more complicated. With the stock game I could use a single variable to alter shake (get the drag of the vessel, apply shake appropriately), with FAR who knows.

I think I might have a simple way around this. Ok so having two 'shake' factors, one being the engine power, and a separate based on speed through atmosphere. If they both produced a single value that could be added together to produce a 'total' shake factor (or maybe even on top of each other). This would give rocket launches suitable shake, but leave aircraft relatively unaffected at average speeds until begin ramping up at around 300-400 m/s. (I think you could quite easily make it coincide with maxQ/mach 1 without needing any fancy scripting). It'd also still leave high speed capsule reentries shaking violently until getting slower.

This 'could' - (if it's actually possible and I'm not just rambling as if I know what I'm on about:cool:) be a reasonable short term improvement?

But ideally one would want some kind of drag model incorporated.

1.2 release here, I'll update the first post within a day or over the weekend to give it time for people to try out.

As for the space plane thing, I did a pass on it which seems to make it better. I cap the overall atmospheric shakes since they didn't need to be that high anyway, but re-entry and mach fx still ramp them up as they should. Jets also now are shake-less which should help things a bit there too. I think space planes might still shake a bit too much on lower altitudes but once you're high enough up (10k for sure since the air is pretty thin by then) it feels good. I'll eventually need to fix by factoring in the drag model and figuring out how to pull that data from FAR (probably just the cD).

So yeah, first person EVA if using the "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" mod is now in, SRBs fixed up, space planes adjusted, etc. Let me know if you guys still run into console spam issues, I didn't find any through testing yet.

1.2 release here, I'll update the first post within a day or over the weekend to give it time for people to try out.

As for the space plane thing, I did a pass on it which seems to make it better. I cap the overall atmospheric shakes since they didn't need to be that high anyway, but re-entry and mach fx still ramp them up as they should. Jets also now are shake-less which should help things a bit there too. I think space planes might still shake a bit too much on lower altitudes but once you're high enough up (10k for sure since the air is pretty thin by then) it feels good. I'll eventually need to fix by factoring in the drag model and figuring out how to pull that data from FAR (probably just the cD).

Sweet sounds great! thanks :)

New release + video updated! Also, I went through and updated the first post with the new features, etc.

Wow, the reentry in the video is amazing!

Looks very promising, downloading! Thank you!

Edited by Proot

Looks like you fixed just about everything in 1.2 :D:D Just a thought, I was wandering if you could add some kind of rattling sound in IVA that increases in intensity with the shakes. Maybe the looped sound of internal parts rattling to give a sense of real shaking during reentry etc, would make it so immersive! Just an idea ;)

Looks like you fixed just about everything in 1.2 :D:D Just a thought, I was wandering if you could add some kind of rattling sound in IVA that increases in intensity with the shakes. Maybe the looped sound of internal parts rattling to give a sense of real shaking during reentry etc, would make it so immersive! Just an idea ;)

Was going to say the same thing. Some shaking/rattling metal sounds would really top this off.

@aeTIos: So far I haven't found a way that the game will let me shake everything while in IVA, I can only find ways to shake the IVA cam. Ideally everything would shake, but this is a good first step.

@Cpt. Kipard: I've thought about smoothing out planes even more, eventually once I factor in drag planes will look less shaky. It's basically impossible to differentiate between rockets and planes since the game is sandboxy, I'd have to make some bad assumptions about how people build their stuff which I don't want to do.

@pingopete, Motokid600: Yeah, audio would be the next thing to add. I'm probably done feature wise... I did this mod in my spare time away from work but now that work is going again I won't have more time for new features, just tweaks here and there (camera on a spring is unlikely at any point in the near future).

@Helix935: I just updated the mod to 1.21, which now has basic support for the FirstPersonEVA mod. However, it's a bit of a hack and not as good as support for the Through the Eyes of a Kerbal mod. With the FirstPersonEVA mod active, camera shakes will still occur while in regular EVA which is a bug and I couldn't figure out how to shut it off on short notice. Anyway, only people using that mod and while not playing first person will see the bug which isn't a big deal for me at this point.

Re: plane shake: how about G-force? Ideally if a plane is cruising straight and level you're near 1G normal acceleration, wheras on reentry/boost you're pulling more. It'd also give a neat visual indicator of when you're maneuvering hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod! thumbs up! I'm trying to play all IVA missions, and this is the perfect touch of dramatization when you casually exit Kerbin's atmosphere at 1200m/s. Combined with RasterPropMonitors it really gives a 100% immersion experience into the eyes of the proud (or clueless?) kerbonaut. At max thrust I do find quite hard to read and click on my IVA monitors though :P I guess it only adds to the dramatization effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.