[0.23.5] KerbQuake 1.21 - Reactive Camera Shakes while IVA [5/4/14]

Sir Haxington

Fantastic MOD! One thing though, according to astronauts there is no reentry shaking..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4789542

Is there anyway to remove that effect during reentry?

That's specific to the U.S. space shuttle system; every other crewed spacecraft that has ever entered the atmosphere has been a ballistic capsule. Although capsules generate some lift and can, to a small degree, adjust their trajectories by rolling around their center of mass during entry, they're basically just falling objects. The ride down is, by all accounts, a lot rougher than it was on a shuttle orbiter.

That's specific to the U.S. space shuttle system; every other crewed spacecraft that has ever entered the atmosphere has been a ballistic capsule. Although capsules generate some lift and can, to a small degree, adjust their trajectories by rolling around their center of mass during entry, they're basically just falling objects. The ride down is, by all accounts, a lot rougher than it was on a shuttle orbiter.

So why can't spaceplanes in KSP do the same thing as the shuttles? They have wings and generate lift but when they reenter they shake the cockpit a lot.

So why can't spaceplanes in KSP do the same thing as the shuttles? They have wings and generate lift but when they reenter they shake the cockpit a lot.

You're probably braking way too hard then. During reentry the shuttle never pulled more than 3Gs, and that's during the much less forgiving earth reentry. Spaceplanes very slowly bleed velocity while using its lift to stay in the upper atmosphere.

Every winged vehicle design has different internal ride characteristics. In fact, it's quite possible to have a winged vehicle with a much rougher ride than the shuttle. Do you want to do the dynamic analysis of each spaceplane design to simulate that accurately? No? Then just enjoy KerbQuake for what it is, or remove it if you don't like it.

Every winged vehicle design has different internal ride characteristics. In fact, it's quite possible to have a winged vehicle with a much rougher ride than the shuttle. Do you want to do the dynamic analysis of each spaceplane design to simulate that accurately? No? Then just enjoy KerbQuake for what it is, or remove it if you don't like it.

Whoa dude... I was just asking how the shuttle managed to reenter so smoothly and why this mod didn't show the same effect in IVA.

You're probably braking way too hard then. During reentry the shuttle never pulled more than 3Gs, and that's during the much less forgiving earth reentry. Spaceplanes very slowly bleed velocity while using its lift to stay in the upper atmosphere.

Ok so then I should start my reentry at a more shallow angle then. Just out of curiosity, to get the gentle effect, when should I start my retrograde burn? 1 full orbit away from my landing target or more?

Whoa dude... I was just asking how the shuttle managed to reenter so smoothly and why this mod didn't show the same effect in IVA.

The shuttle was DESIGNED to reenter gently - in fact, it rarely if ever exceeded about 1.4g at any point in the re-entry profile. It had a wing design, aspect ratio, and wing-loading specified to give a gentle reentry, long cross range and extended glide capability. It had a flight deck design and position on the airframe to minimize crew loads and maximize crew comfort while still affording good visibility for final approach and landing.

KSP makes some of this stuff look easy - hey, just plug this cockpit module at the front, stick on some wing panels and bingo: spaceplane! In reality, it's quite a bit harder than that.

Ok so then I should start my reentry at a more shallow angle then. Just out of curiosity, to get the gentle effect, when should I start my retrograde burn? 1 full orbit away from my landing target or more?

Depends on both your vehicle and whether or not you play with FAR. But in my experience with FAR you should do your retro burn about 120 degrees past your intended landing site. So your periapsis ends up about 60 degrees in front of your landing strip. Then burn retro until your periapsis is around 55 km. Your eventual landing position is very dependent on your periapsis height.

Depends on both your vehicle and whether or not you play with FAR. But in my experience with FAR you should do your retro burn about 120 degrees past your intended landing site. So your periapsis ends up about 60 degrees in front of your landing strip. Then burn retro until your periapsis is around 55 km. Your eventual landing position is very dependent on your periapsis height.

120 degrees AFTER the landing strip... wow that's early! Does 55km periaps produce enough drag to slow the craft enough to reach the ground? I usually burn 180 degrees to target and try for a periaps of 40km, gets me sort of in the region I want.

120 degrees AFTER the landing strip... wow that's early! Does 55km periaps produce enough drag to slow the craft enough to reach the ground? I usually burn 180 degrees to target and try for a periaps of 40km, gets me sort of in the region I want.

Yea, it does produce enough drag. The idea is to use the lift of the craft to glide the last 60 degrees, that's why its so high.

AMAZING! :) The little 'ka-chunk' on docking and, perhaps not due to this mod, not being sent to the external cam, is very immersive.

Suggestions:

1 Let the magnitude of the shake equal the sum of the magnitudes of thrust and drag over the sum of the magnitudes of inertia and stability factors. The equation would be: Ms = (MT+M) / (Mi + f). Shake would therefore increase with TWR, speed, and atmospheric density and decrease with mass and stabilizing airfoils.

2 Make the shake 'real' by coding all parts to jitter when experiencing thrust or drag, enabling SAS, RCS, and control surfaces to smooth one's ride.

3 Integrate this jittering with FAR's structural failure system, causing stressful environments to necessitate tough craft.

4 Add a structural failure system whereby excessive jittering eventually fatigues parts, reducing their load tolerances; offer warning messages.

-Duxwing

Edited by Duxwing

Could you make a compatibility patch for "ProbeControlRoom" that makes probe IVA's possible. It's odd to have the control room shaking. Disabling it would be a first step and finding a way to add the shake to the cameras instead would be great. The cameras are from the RasterPropMonitor mod.

could just say that the kerbal has his massage chair set on vibrate while playing :)

I feel the rocket flight effects might be a little stronger, but I like it nonetheless. Reentry immediately feels a lot more hairy. I is also going to be a major help in landing aircraft, as I never got the desired feedback when touching down.

Could you make a compatibility patch for "ProbeControlRoom" that makes probe IVA's possible. It's odd to have the control room shaking. Disabling it would be a first step and finding a way to add the shake to the cameras instead would be great. The cameras are from the RasterPropMonitor mod.

I'd like to second this one. Any chance it will happen eventually? Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

It really would be nice to have this ability because both mods are great, just not great together.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread, but KSP Interstellar has engines that act like jets and rockets. Your mod acts like they are rockets even when using the atmospheric fuel setting. It makes it extremely difficult to press the Raster buttons, so I have to set everything up on launch before I can do anything.

Then again, the spaceplane goes at Mach 4 with Deadly Reentry and FAR, so half of the shake could be from reentry effects.

Possibly a compatibility patch or a .cfg that allows you to override shake values or overall shake? Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.