Oblivion Bubble Ship Redesigned! [Infernal Robotics] 2-Kerbal VTOL

Oblivion Bubble Ship

Powered by Infernal Robotics

I had made a 100% stock version of the Bubble Ship before, but I got a lot of requests to update it with the Infernal Robotics mod. The result turned out pretty well! I love how the legs can fold up behind the body now instead of hanging in front. The rotating engines are somewhat useful, but they can get you in to trouble since there isn't any lift coming from wings. It takes some getting used to, but it isn't too bad :)

The overall design is pretty similar to the stock version aside from the landing legs and vtol engines.

ALBUM

Javascript is disabled. View full album

VIDEO

If stock KSP is more your speed, check out the stock version I made a while back!

This new update has two different files. One design uses a 90 degree hinge and the other uses the full 180 degree hinge for the VTOL engines. Feel free to take your pick!

gOThuXZ.gif

CRAFT FILES:

IR-90: http://www./view/xu0qdm0gjy6assm/Bubble_Ship_IR-90.craft

Part Count: 260

IR-180: http://www./view/vr4al2w8ikarhac/Bubble_Ship_IR-180.craft

Part Count: 243

The 180 is lighter and uses less parts. Those reaction wheels on the spheres weigh a lot and the 180 has about half as many as the IR-90.

In-game craft file description:

Instructions!Spacebar = Launch ship and deactivate excess reaction wheels

AG 1 = Engine Hover/Point Downwards

AG 2 = Rotate Engines Forward for Travel

AG 3 = Retract Landing Legs

AG4 = Extend Landing Legs

Take them for a spin and let me know what you think! :D

Edited by Cruzan

Holy crap, that is sweet! Absolutely ingenious use of the various parts to construct the ship! :)

Hehe thanks! The part count got a little high by adding in all the smaller details, but I figured it was worth it :D

Reminds me of the Orca from the original command & conqueror, which was one of my all time favorite vessels.

It definitely does! It needs some ducted fans instead of jets, but it's still pretty close :)

Amazing work!

Btw. they actually made a real scale model for the movie

:D

Thanks! And ya I actually used that video to help get a better feel for the design of the ship. Most of what I found were blurry screencaps and concept art. That model is soo sweet :D

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.