[WIP]D12 Aerotech - A B9 Aerospace Expansion (Beta1)

PolecatEZ

Welp, im stupid, didnt see the "Unfold Rotors" option on the wing rotors, sorry!

But the Daisho doesnt do what it says it can do.... its a liar :( jokes aside, i still tilt everywhere... and it looks stupid with the upper rotor not moving all the time

Edited by CrazyOdd

love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it

sorry for spam but i just wanna say it a million time now. great parts

Welp, im stupid, didnt see the "Unfold Rotors" option on the wing rotors, sorry!

But the Daisho doesnt do what it says it can do.... its a liar :( jokes aside, i still tilt everywhere... and it looks stupid with the upper rotor not moving all the time

Again, specifics. The upper/lower rotor should be rotating counter to each other with about 3 rpm difference. Make sure you have the latest Firespitter plugin installed, the one that comes with B9 is out-dated and that could be the cause. As for tilt everywhere, there's no actual torque rotation with any of the VTOL engines, its simply not a function in the game. Tail rotors (like from the FS pack) still function to help steer, but they aren't necessary for chopper control. Just throw some SAS on your chopper and lock it down.

The wings rotor works with me, but i don't know how to use it for VTOl:P

I Love doing vtol but the wings rotor is too slow for fold and unfold;.;

That will be addressed in future releases. There's a few concept videos on youtube for WhisperCraft that shows a smooth transition in flight. The big issue is that I can't turn the wing lift on or off, its always on (and providing angular drag) even when the rotors are engaged. Basically to have a good VTOL flight profile, you either need to be going very slow, or supplement the thrust with a jet engine or 3 (like in the concept videos). When I get better at engines, I'll try to do the standard box housing (jets and intakes) that goes under it.

In the meantime, I have a different sort of surprise coming soon. Also, Mk27 cockpit variants are coming along nicely, though you need to be a masochist to do prop placement. Next release, hopefully in a day or two (term papers finished, now no motivation for side projects that only solid procrastination can provide):

* Wholly different method for Squad parts knockout. Hopefully plays nicer with Aggressive version of ATM.

* Variant pack (concepts) for S2W body...not what you think.

* Mk25 cockpit variants...attack chopper and cab versions. I may make RPM a dependency for the cockpit props. I've also started toying with ASET props, but they really bit into my frame rate, especially mixed with Vessel Viewer.

* Original sounds and some tweaks for the chopper blades.

On the horizon:

* Skillful integration will be looked at, not sure if I need to do anything specific though.

* Wings will be re-textured with new Blendering skills, possible rescaling up about 20% in area for the larger ones.

* Adapter replacements (maybe I can bribe my kids to do those - easy but tedious).

* More crap to put on pylons - science modules, communications, ScanSat, MechJeb, etc modules.

* Standard fuel tank replacements...working on a good variety of styles, at least as far as B9 textures will let me go.

* Mk1 and 2 cockpit replacements.

IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH ANY PARTS...please be specific. Saying simply "doesn't work" or "looks dumb" isn't particularly helpful. I'm happy to correct any issues you find, but I need to know what they are.

Edited by PolecatEZ

On subject,knockout version prevents ATM to work.

The main culprit is this: //Death to all fat files! It's funny,but not for ATM.I found that *.cfg can not be empty,you need at least part name to work this correctly.

PART
{
name = AdvancedCanard
}

I got a little distracted...someone asked for a simple forward swept mini-HW21.

I don't do simple.

swing_In.png

swing_Out.png

Its not an animation, it actually functions with FSleadingedge code so it works like its supposed to...you can toggle it or it will auto deploy as necessary. This is just a concept test, and I'm actually shocked it works. The design is a bit wonky, but that will be fixed and I'll try to do an F-14 style also later.

I got a little distracted...someone asked for a simple forward swept mini-HW21.

I don't do simple.

http://s29.postimg.org/ighvfdtsn/swing_In.png

http://s8.postimg.org/ww9y7vrlh/swing_Out.png

Its not an animation, it actually functions with FSleadingedge code so it works like its supposed to...you can toggle it or it will auto deploy as necessary. This is just a concept test, and I'm actually shocked it works. The design is a bit wonky, but that will be fixed and I'll try to do an F-14 style also later.

Woah, actual variable sweep wings! Do you realize you might be the very first to put in automatically sweeping wings without the use of robotics of any sort?

I am looking forwards to the F-14/F-111/Tornado style wings (which were fairly large planes). It would be we had even bigger B-1b/Tu-160 style wings as well; takeoff/landing speeds on big concorde style delta wing SSTOs can be quite high.

Well, just a quick update: the new firespitter actually fixed my problem, thank you :)

Sorry i was so unspecific (it doesnt work!) but i didnt really know what i should post...

THOSE WINGS LOOK AWESOME! I WANT THEM! :D

On subject,knockout version prevents ATM to work.

The main culprit is this: //Death to all fat files! It's funny,but not for ATM.I found that *.cfg can not be empty,you need at least part name to work this correctly.

PART
{
name = AdvancedCanard
}

I just don't understand what exactly you found to be the culprit, but I think Polecat is already on it.

Polecat, ATM stops with Basic version too(as reported by me and Neutrinovore), not only with Agressive.

Folding wings is very cool, but the only issue with them is that they still function fully with the animation up or down...unless I move the FSlift transform to mid-wing and child it to the folding part...or...keep the lift transform and still child it...then don't even attempt to fly it with wings folded. I'm trying to keep everything future-FAR compatible, but maybe there's a workaround there. Flight profile for the current swing wing is already wonky enough, I just need to figure out the values I need to tweak. I'm already almost finished with the model for the F-14 style - a bit more complex as it will also include ailerons and flaps. The guide lines on the HW21 texture help a lot though. Banging my head for 3 hours+ getting every rotational axis correct in Unity is the fun part. I guess the ship building kit can wait, as all I have left are about 100 attach nodes to properly place and rotate.

Wanted: Tweaking assistant. Must be able to hit Alt-F12 and "Reload all" until his fingers bleed.

What's the general feeling on the current wing sizes? They're about 20% smaller than Squad sizes currently, but I can just do a blanket re-scale when I go back for them. I may be able to make a few of them "folding," but the limitation on that is you couldn't attach anything to the part that moves (no pylons, landing gear, ailerons). Does anyone know if childing an attach transform node to a moving part will work? My previous experiments were kind of explody.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Wanted: Tweaking assistant. Must be able to hit Alt-F12 and "Reload all" until his fingers bleed.

I feel your pain, and I don't even come close to making parts as complicated as you are

Does anyone know if childing an attach transform node to a moving part will work? My previous experiments were kind of explody.

Unfortunately no, unless they've changed the behavior fairly recently. This from the thread introducing part tools for 0.20:

ATTACH Nodes

Previously, part configs had to define attach nodes with messy position values in the base config. Now you can define an attach node as being linked to a transform on the model. To do this you define an ATTACH config node like this..

Code:

ATTACH
{
name = top
transformName = myTopTransform
}
ATTACH
{
name = srfAttach
transformName = mySrfAttachmentTransform
}

There are two key names of attach nodes;

There is the 'top' node, this defines the traditional part heirarchy structure. If you only have one attach node then it should be called top.

There is also the 'srfAttach' node, this defines the surface attachment point. The name 'attach' is also valid for this node, you can only have one surface attachment node.

You can define two other values; size and method.

'size' allows you to change the node's sphere size in the editor and has no effect on gameplay.

'method' allows you to change the physic joint type. Its values can be; FIXED_JOINT, HINGE_JOINT, LOCKED_JOINT, MERGED_PHYSICS or NO_PHYSICS. Not sure what madness you can do with this value, will leave it to you all to play.

NOTE: Attach nodes defined in this way are not animated with respect to physics and should remain static on the model.

Also, apparently the only joint type that works is FIXED_JOINT if I recall correctly...

Ok, after 2 tries the model itself is still a hot mess, but the concept works. Apparently tying lift transforms to parts that rotate laterally is a big fat no no, but later experiments flew less like a methed-out brick. Also, making the tail and wings as a single part doesn't work too well either, FSWing can only handle one iteration of an elevator. Anyways, I'll put off a release for another week, but better stuff will come.

swing_In.png

swing_In2.png

swing_Out.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.