[WIP]D12 Aerotech - A B9 Aerospace Expansion (Beta1)

PolecatEZ

Ok, after 2 tries the model itself is still a hot mess, but the concept works. Apparently tying lift transforms to parts that rotate laterally is a big fat no no, but later experiments flew less like a methed-out brick. Also, making the tail and wings as a single part doesn't work too well either, FSWing can only handle one iteration of an elevator. Anyways, I'll put off a release for another week, but better stuff will come.

http://s28.postimg.org/du2lk0xsd/swing_In.png

http://s24.postimg.org/63wvs40vp/swing_In2.png

http://s16.postimg.org/ptvh87q9x/swing_Out.png

Even if the lift and drag values don't change appropriately, I think you need to release this. It's the perfect aesthetic part, if nothing else.

On that matter, do you have any plans for a KSOS-like Mk2 nosecone? That is, a nosecone with an animation that lets it "swing out" and reveal a docking port underneath. The B9 shielded port looks poor on the Mk2 fuselage and putting an inline port inside a cargo bay feels redundant.

I tried to make sweeping wings once useing IR.....then I took a Kerbin to the kerbal...:) troll

i wish i could think of a snitty remark to make about that but i gotta admit that was funny.

anyway release? HELL YES! i want so badly this mod my words no sound good more no.

Ok, after 2 tries the model itself is still a hot mess, but the concept works. Apparently tying lift transforms to parts that rotate laterally is a big fat no no, but later experiments flew less like a methed-out brick. Also, making the tail and wings as a single part doesn't work too well either, FSWing can only handle one iteration of an elevator. Anyways, I'll put off a release for another week, but better stuff will come.

http://s28.postimg.org/du2lk0xsd/swing_In.png

http://s24.postimg.org/63wvs40vp/swing_In2.png

http://s16.postimg.org/ptvh87q9x/swing_Out.png

I'm seeing some strange shading on the wings. If you have Blender use the Edge-Spit modifier. :)

We wish to play with the parts- may we not have them?

There's a super early alpha release that has some of the parts earlier in the thread.

Specifically This Post. However the DL is kinda hidden.

Edited by Taki117

I'm seeing some strange shading on the wings. If you have Blender use the Edge-Spit modifier. :)

That's one reason for the delay on next release. Right now I'm focusing on just wings and all wing-related things.

- Wings were re-sized and re-Blendered, 3.5m standard (3.5/1.75/0.875). About 5-6 variations of rectangular and 5-6 delta wings.

- Most wings have top/bottom attach nodes, so you can centerline mount them OR mount things directly to them via node attach. Biplanes are easy now, as are VTOL's with underwing jet engines.

- Center of lift was moved to the wing's center instead of inside edge. Shouldn't effect smaller craft, but larger ones will see some performance differences the wider the wings get.

- Rougher texture and bumpmap were made for the 4 textures used, FSswitch gives you a choice to make them shiny B9 also. Overall texture usage was made more efficient.

- "Stockalike" winglets and canards.

- 3 elevators, with standardized widths.

- 2 stand-alone flaps to place on your wings.

- 2 stand-alone leading edge extenders, works well on both delta and straight wing front edges.

- 2 "swing wings", F-14 style and F-35 style. Models have been re-worked, still trying to get an aileron working on the F-14 wing.

- 2 "folding wings", A-7 style and F/A-18 style.

- F-15 style winglet (tail rudder)

- Straight wing, WW2 style, fully articulated with bells and whistles.

- Swept wing, easily works forwards or backwards, uses built-in wingtip canards so works either direction, may make 2 sizes for this.

- New Squad knockout method: Its called "I give you a list, you erase what you want."

Basically I'm about 90% done. Just have a few more to export from Unity, 3 more models to nail down, and some config files to write.

I've broken this project into several "sets" - this one will be "D12Wingtech" and deal with wing related things. D12Aerotech will have the rotors re-done as well as some cockpits, engines, and intakes. D12Navaltech will come after which will have a fully modular naval ship building system (anything from a small destroyer to large ACC, in S2Wide smoothness and coloration). Spacetech will be #4 - S2 and S2W capabilities will be expanded.

Edited by PolecatEZ

My jaw dropped at the moving swept wings picture. Thank you so much for putting your time into this! I love these parts! I know it's been mentioned but an S2W cargo ramp would completely make my day. I could do a lot of things with one.

Fantastic work and I cant' wait for you to release more!

The S2 and S2W series will get a lot of love, but later. I have some nice prototypes already but my masochism is focusing on tuning the swing wings at the moment. I don't think Snoj quite had them in mind when he did the code, as there are some parameters missing that would make things easier. As it stands, there are enough other variables to massage to get the right effect, I just have to trial and error them.

If anyone wants to help, I'll throw up a file with 3 of my biggest problem children and you can take a look at the configs and see what I'm doing wrong. They're mostly flyable in this state, just that flying with the wings out they tend to drop straight out of the sky without any power, which ironically gives them a longer take-off and landing requirement. The X-29 swept wing (not swing) has the wing tip canards that actually make it fly like the real thing...nearly uncontrollable without computer help.

Here's the file, fellow masochists are welcome to try them out and let me know if you got anything that works better by tuning the configs. Again, this is just a test packet, these are not the final versions of these wings, and this represents about 20% of what will be in the Wingtech pack when its finished.

Tuners apply HERE.

I'd like input on: Relative sizes, attach points, stats, and any FSwing or FSlift tuning to make it better. Most graphical glitches have already been corrected, I just haven't gone through and re-exported yet.

----

One neat STOL landing trick I found was to put out the swing wings, drop to about 100m at full power, then cut the engines. The plane practically falls to a gentle landing right on the spot. Take-offs are another story though, but I think it might be the way Snoj does his lift code (his Sabre has the same issue if you mount the wings perfectly level).

Edited by PolecatEZ

I have a question. You say the textures will be required, but I assume that we can just have the B9 textures installed, and your mod would use them, even if we dump the part.cfg files? I'm contemplating stripping a lot out of my B9 install, mostly because I just don't need soooooo many wings (thanks, PWings), and some of the fuselages I have little to no use for either.

I'll give a list of textures also that I use. Of the B9 pack, there's maybe a handful that I cherry pick from, and I'm tightening down on that quite a bit. The rotortech pack now, for example, uses about 12 different textures, and with my remakes I'm down to about 7. With the Wingtech pack, I'm doing an either/or type of thing where with texture switcher you can switch from mine to B9 regular and back, or you could delete one or the other and it will pick up the one that is still there.

Short answer, you're perfectly safe to delete any models or .cfgs you don't like to clean up your catalog, from basically any folder in GameData. I'm not using any MODEL mashing for my work, its re-exporting full meshes.

My issue is that I can't really nail down a good alternative. I do so much skewing with the model meshes that any patterned textures turn out crap in the game, so I'm back to plain colors that need to still match other B9 parts. Basically, any color you want so long as its black...or white.

I'll give a list of textures also that I use. Of the B9 pack, there's maybe a handful that I cherry pick from, and I'm tightening down on that quite a bit. The rotortech pack now, for example, uses about 12 different textures, and with my remakes I'm down to about 7. With the Wingtech pack, I'm doing an either/or type of thing where with texture switcher you can switch from mine to B9 regular and back, or you could delete one or the other and it will pick up the one that is still there.

Well as long as it's documented, easy-peasy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.