[WIP]D12 Aerotech - A B9 Aerospace Expansion (Beta1)

PolecatEZ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klz229ibvb4rwfj/ROFLCopter.craft

Here it is... Also I've seen that you intend to upload the mod to Curse... will you at least continue to update the link in this thread (a dropboxlink?)

Yep, Curse hasn't "approved" me yet anyways. While this is beta, I'm just going to continually update the dropbox link.

are you thinking about making a set of smaller parts so you can make a small spaceplane ship that fits in the big wide b9 cargo parts!...

That's the purpose behind the GLADIUS and KUKRI engines I'm making now. Retractable dual-mode engines for compact designs, for landing horizontally in a variety of atmospheric/no atmosphere conditions. Snjo updated his FS plugin a bit to allow the GLADIUS to work properly, but we discovered there were other broken things so he's working on it.

GLADIUSinaction.pngGLADIUSinaction2.png

Edited by PolecatEZ

It matches the B9 model it was derived from, that cockpit is the exact same way. If you double click on the windshield right in front of you while in IVA, you'll get a better view of the area.

are you thinking about making a set of smaller parts so you can make a small spaceplane ship that fits in the big wide b9 cargo parts!

I love making big SSTO's that can go to muna for instance and then use the small ssto for dropping of kerbals on muna etc.

parts especially like the upcoming vtol's would be great if they came in different sizes.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's still possible to make ships that can do that. I had the very same idea myself :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

There are vtol engines clipped inside the body as well. gets to 100x100km orbit with over 1000dv left

Sorry for the shameful self promotion

Polecat: Do both engines have the docking port model? Nothing against it but I always just thought it stuck out like a sore thumb on the belly of planes. Also, I've been checking on your pack off and on but I'm unsure now; are all the parts FAR compatible?

All except swing wings and the Whispercraft rotor are FAR compatible, that leaves about 95% of the pack that works just fine (at least as well as Stock/B9/Firespitter parts). If you think something's not quite right, you can tweak the values and I'll be happy to update them. Please be sure to use the Firespitter version included in the pack (last official release).

In the future, I'm not sure how well FSpropeller will play with FAR, as the new way uses a derivation of FSliftsurface for propulsion. I may have to make 2 versions of engines like this, a FAR one and a nice tweakable one.

When mesh-switcher gets fixed in the FS test build, there will be a black version also for the casing you can toggle. The side-mount version will likely be derived from the landing gear casing with angled sides - I have a few mockups in blender I'm deciding between. Now that I've downgraded my unity version I have a lot more freedom with various parts and animations.

Daww that's a shame the swing wings don't work. Is it a limitation of Unity itself? or FAR? or something else? I haven't flown with stock aerodynamics since I bought the game so it's a bummer I can't use them. At any rate you've done a fantastic job!

I also just saw the note for not making my plane go explody on the docking port engine. Thank you! It makes me accept it a little bit more :) but Wow I just imagined the sidemount version and it sounds amazing! Keep it up man you're doing wonderful work.

Minor updates are up...

* New drop tank styles to choose from, multiple fuels, 1.25 engine mount version included - still just the 1 part in the catalog. Will likely change Electricity with Xenon in the future.

* Test version of the GLADIUS, I've been fixing bugs and creating new ones with it all day. Let me know how it works.

* Completely revamped .mu files for many parts, to prevent possible bugginess.

* Other minor tweaks and fixes.

Any word on an s2 and s2-WB tall ramp yet?....I really need thous things for a polar remote tech 2 base I'm trying.... Lets just say if it works i will have the ultimate interplanetary relay station :)

Sounds safe enough...how do you want them exactly? A ramp up to the widest part or a ramp to the bottom? A sketch would be nice. For the S2, wouldn't a simple end-cap that swings out like a door be enough?

Edited by PolecatEZ

Could you enable fuel crossfeed on the tail connector please, helicopters need to run a fuel line all the way along it to have a tail rotor, and there was a re-skin of the stock small control surface and I'm missing it a bit. Thanks and I'll check out the new stuff, great work :)

I'll see if I can dig it up but it would be breaking my "Not one step back!" rule...I'm missing the little bugger too. Ailerons will definitely get a second pass now that I know more what I'm doing. Fuel crossfeed is on the tail already, and the tail rotors shouldn't need it anyways. I'll test it and see what's going on.

I rolled back my own FS version to the one posted, so now I can actually play again. In the latest test versions he changed the way mirroring worked with mesh-switcher and broked it - hopefully will be resolved because he also added a lot of nice toys and tweaks also. This means the GLADIUS may or may not work, haven't tested it with the release FS version.

-----

Update (optional download) -

Hotfix for the Mk1Inline1man cockpit.

Gladius works, but with or without animation on - FS issue that has been fixed.

Old SmallCtrlSrf no longer viable unfortunately. I'll put a similar one in the set in the future.

Tail was tested, fuel crossfeed working as advertised...which tail rotors are you using?

Edited by PolecatEZ

Minor updates are up...

* New drop tank styles to choose from, multiple fuels, 1.25 engine mount version included - still just the 1 part in the catalog. Will likely change Electricity with Xenon in the future.

* Test version of the GLADIUS, I've been fixing bugs and creating new ones with it all day. Let me know how it works.

* Completely revamped .mu files for many parts, to prevent possible bugginess.

* Other minor tweaks and fixes.

Sounds safe enough...how do you want them exactly? A ramp up to the widest part or a ramp to the bottom? A sketch would be nice. For the S2, wouldn't a simple end-cap that swings out like a door be enough?

I know I wasn't the one asking but I'm in need of this too hehe. That sounds nice for S2 as long as there is a ramp in addition to that end cap :P For the S2W I spent the last half hour looking for pictures of what I would imagine but I couldn't find a picture of the plane/ramp I was looking for. What I was imagining was the sides hinge outwards and then a ramp extends from the widest parts...It's probably not ideal but just an idea. I'm not sure how you would make the s2w look nice while still keeping functionality of the wide bay.

Is there a possibility to give the Buzz Rotors a attatchment node on the side? i cant stick them on a girder as it blocks them.... anyways, would love a node to attach them radially to a fuselage or something!

Good catch on the missiles, mass exporting can produce random results. Hotfixed in already - JSOW head and tails also fixed.

The nipple on the tail model is also getting a recolor to be less revealing. The buzz rotor is getting a lot of love today, new sounds, config tweaks (node), nicer modeling, direction arrow on the cone to help placement, blue glow when running...I have 21 days of summer vacation, gotta make them count.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's still possible to make ships that can do that. I had the very same idea myself :)

There are vtol engines clipped inside the body as well. gets to 100x100km orbit with over 1000dv left

Polecat: Do both engines have the docking port model? Nothing against it but I always just thought it stuck out like a sore thumb on the belly of planes. Also, I've been checking on your pack off and on but I'm unsure now; are all the parts FAR compatible?

What folding wings did you use? or did you use IR? (sorry, cant see it in your pics :D)

@polecat: damn, love for the buzz rotors, thats nice! :D

oh and might i add a request? some sort of radially attached landing gear like the B9 H50-B Landinglegs, only not as clunky? i am creating a little vtol plane and would love landing gear that has a wide enough base but isnt as fat as the b9 ones...

Edited by CrazyOdd

Minor updates are up...

well when I was trying this in blender not long ago( well actually quit some time) I did what the HL ramp did and pushed the side planes to the level of the bottom planes, and coverd that bump you see with the HL with side intakes....so my version of the S2-WB ramp had a round bottom not an angled one.

Now what would be cool is a design that had two doors in the back, that where heat shielded and swung to ether side of the body. and then a set of ramps that came down for each level (so in other words you would have a center ramp and then one for each raised area. That should look relatively well and be functional with most rovers. :)

Hope this gives you a general idea.

sorry I don't have a scanner and paint just dos not cut it for me. cant send you a sketch

Edited by Tidus Klein

Don't worry, I got a good image from that description. Downgraded Unity so now I can do other little things I've left out of the current parts, so they're getting updated slowly. Snjo also made some good fixes in his latest FS test build, so playtesting also to ensure safety, then I'll include it. It'll let the GLADIUS work like its supposed to and add fuel switching to the drop tanks. GLADIUS also got a black casing option.

And, big news for modders, figured out how to do animations that won't destroy your airplane when they deploy and confirmed it with some testing. You know how if you aren't careful with the stock inline docking port it might bust your airplane up? Solved.

What folding wings did you use? or did you use IR? (sorry, cant see it in your pics :D)

@polecat: damn, love for the buzz rotors, thats nice! :D

oh and might i add a request? some sort of radially attached landing gear like the B9 H50-B Landinglegs, only not as clunky? i am creating a little vtol plane and would love landing gear that has a wide enough base but isnt as fat as the b9 ones...

Yes I'm using IR and being sneaky with Quantum Struts to hold the wings in place during flight :)

Edit: Tidus's description is exactly what I would like to see in the ramp. If that could be made you would be a hero

https://imgur.com/a/lrbxG#0

my next creation and the reason i'd love some small but sturdy bottom mounted, wide landing legs :) also: is there a cargobay wide enough to accept that plane? its a normal MK1 fuselage with those wings... i'd love for it to be my "laythe explorer" or something...

Not many things scare me, but I opened up the B9 landing leg model in Blender once and spent the next 3 hours rocking myself in a corner. I think there was well over 120 transforms. Need moar mad skills to pull off a landing leg with the quality I want. Besides...its Laythe...have you checked out the floaties?

BIG stuff is going to wait until the B9 update, as they have a few over-sized spacecraft parts announced. The S2 Wide might be able to take it for now with some wriggling.

Sadly, no, S2W doesnt take it, its literally 5 millimeters too small.... well, i thought about the floaties, but i wanted something retractable and small (so it doesnt look stupid) ah well, guess i'll have to use the big b9 landing legs :P thanks for the answer!

Edited by CrazyOdd

If you are still looking at making a weapon turret you should see if you can track down Tosh's original sunbeam lazer code, that should be easier to understand and wouldn't require the rest of romfarers lazor plugin to function, you should be able to only use its tracking stuff and keep the gatlinggun code as a separate module as long as you make sure the hierarchy of the model makes sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.