[WIP]D12 Aerotech - A B9 Aerospace Expansion (Beta1)

PolecatEZ

I'm going to be honest, I'm not a big fan of B9's parts. They're masterfully executed, but the style clashes so much with stock parts and there's so little variety that there isn't much you can really make them do. This expansion of yours seems like it'll rectify that, and I eagerly await that rover cockpit.

That said, I recommend you focus on your schoolwork for now. If you don't upload a mod version when you said you would, people won't mind that much. The same cannot be said about term papers.

Also, could you make the MM file that removes the stock versions optional? I may still want to use them, since B9 has a deficit of actual rocket parts.

Edited by Naf5000

2 versions for testing:

If you downloaded the previous version, simply overwrite it.

D12 Squad Knockout Version - This will replace select squad parts, including all wings, Mk2 fuselage and adapter, and the inline RCS tank (maybe a few others). This will also give you all other parts. All previously saved craft should load just fine, you may need to tweak them in the SPH though as wing dimensions changed slightly. Inline parts have identical node placement to the originals so you shouldn't need to tear too much apart otherwise.

D12 Supplemental Version - Simply gives you all Squad replacements as ****X files without killing Squad parts, they're just added to the catalog. Also includes new parts.

To install either, just unzip and overwrite exactly the GameData folder. Should be compatible with anything that uses mod manager to identify a PART file.

As always, use the latest Firespitter plugin and B9 pack. Any version of Mod Manager is also helpful for the fixes. If you want sounds, you need to keep also the Firespitter sounds folder intact for now.

Special thanks to Taverius, Bac9, and Snoj for making these possible.

Cockpits will probably come next week, as I'm just going to scrap them and re-make with new Blender Fu skills (dragon style!). Then internals, and also making sure RasterProp cooperates with any Squad replacements I do.

I'll keep an eye here for the next hour or so for hotfixing if necessary, after that I'm going dark for a few days.

Thanks PolecatEZ, the wings look great and the Sabre's work. For me (supplemental version) the Standard Canard is just plain black, you probably shouldn't worry about it now though. Have fun with those papers :)

Thanks PolecatEZ, the wings look great and the Sabre's work. For me (supplemental version) the Standard Canard is just plain black, you probably shouldn't worry about it now though. Have fun with those papers :)

Its got a bad texture assignment, its already fixed for next release.

Had a bit of a problem. I installed the 'D12 Squad Knockout Version', and when I started the game, it seems to have prevented the 'Active Texture Management' plugin from working, which in turn caused the game to hang during startup due to running out of memory. I have a lot of mods. :)

Anyway, I tried several times, and only when I deleted the 'Squad Knockout' folder from the D12 mod (inside the B9_Aerospace folder in 'GameData' as instructed) did 'ATM' function properly again.

Just thought I'd report this. Later. :)

Are you running basic or aggressive version of ATM? I'm running basic ATM with Squad Knockout version and everything functions fine, it just hangs for a few seconds before the loading bar starts and then flies through it.

----

Just did a clean install and re-tested the upload. It loads just fine with ATM "Basic" version on my Win7 machine. It will hang on a random .dll plugin right at the beginning of the load for about 20 seconds, then the loading flies. This means for aggressive I should just need to write an exception file and include it in the next download.

----------

Update 2:

If anyone wants to try a quick fix, go into your Boulder folder and go to the Squad .cfg. Erase the line with the reference to winglet2 and see if that does anything.

Edited by PolecatEZ

@ polecat

Ya I know how it is trying to make an s2 wb tail ramp

I tryed it for some time,

My original idea was to have two doors open in the back and then a ramp come down.

And then in order to hide the part where you have to make the body flat to fit the ramp,

I made them air intakes.

Also don't wary about not being able to bridge the center dip

I always fix that with the b9 1x1 structural panels :)

Edited by Tidus Klein
Some Cereal spelling errors :)

Hotfix for those using Squad Knockout version with Aggressive Active Texture Management. Basic ATM users shouldn't need this but it doesn't hurt.

Just tested fine for me, let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Throw this in your Boulder/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder (might also work anywhere):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0is4rbbh3r9fzj/D12Knockout.cfg

I'll integrate this into the next build also.

Thanks, Polecat, for responding so fast. I didn't mean to distract you from working on your term papers, sorry. :)

But yes, I'm running ATM 3-1 Aggressive on Win7 just like you. I won't have an opportunity to try your fix for a day or two, but thanks just the same.

Later! :D

I was going hand ID my laundry list for that stuff after he releases his next boat parts edition, I'll leave him alone for now. Stats are copied from FS, B9, and/or Squad and kept mostly intact (sometimes with heavy modification), so anything that ID does to basic stats should work just fine.

First screenshots look interesting, although I'm noticing a lot of smoothing issues on every model showcased so far. Is that a Blender viewport issue or are smoothing groups indeed not set up properly?

First screenshots look interesting, although I'm noticing a lot of smoothing issues on every model showcased so far. Is that a Blender viewport issue or are smoothing groups indeed not set up properly?

Its a little of both. Rescaling and bending certain parts means smoothing groups become very broken in some cases, in others Blender just looks wonky when it translates to 2d. For that reason, I've pulled most of the cockpits until I can re-do them. I've already completely re-done the ones based on the Mk25 and they'll be up soon (done 2 of 3 term papers also). I haven't gotten a Mk1 replacement I'm really happy with yet though (after about 5 different tries). Wings will also be completely re-done later, but the alpha concept is set.

Sorry, i didnt read the whole 7 pages, is there a way to let two rotors rotate against each other?

Unless you use the Daisho, not in this current build. If you can get one rotor to sit flipped upside down on another, you could add in a reverse thrust MODULE to the part config and maybe do it that way. I can put it on the laundry list for later to maybe specifically design one that way.

The Daisho I got working by using FSrotor for one of the transforms, and FSprop for the other. I had to set them as slightly different speeds because they could get synced up and then look really bad at high speeds.

I'm a huge fan of the wing-rotors! http://imgur.com/a/WTaWV

Loving it :) In that last pic, where did that nosecone thing come from?

That reminds me.... those rotors dont work for me :/

Need more info. The only way they wouldn't work is if you don't have firespitter plugin, which is a dependency for both this pack and B9.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Loving it :) In that last pic, where did that nosecone thing come from? /QUOTE]

That is from Lack's packs. (you know LLL & SXT?) the probe head is a good one to use. but there isn't any parts with an heatsheild on them.

Wow I'm bad at quotes.

The buzz turbines- could you modify the nodes so that they are rotated by 90 degrees? I can't mount them on top of my probes with the way they are set now.

Oh- and a forward-swept wing that is a larger version of the canard would be nice too.

Edited by Mekan1k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.