Has anybody managed to....

jdsutton

I believe that in the what did you do today thread someone docked one of each together around Kerbin. I remember seeing, but not 100% if that is the thread for sure though. I would love to see some dock one of each size around Kerbin, and then take all of the to Jool, Dres, or Eeloo.

I have done it and i would not recommend doing so. I had plans of making a big loop of roids all docked together (like a necklace) but after sticking 2 together my save broke. I dont know if it was because of this or something else but it was the first time i ever broke a save game (maybe someone else can confirm?). They also are very unstable and juggle around alot. I docked a large D with an E onto 2 flat surfaces and then when i returned from the VAB the E class had rotated a bit so the claws (3 holding each asteroid) were not locked in the same place as they were, they moved slightly and over time it added up to a semi rotated E class asteroid. When watching you could actually see the claws slipping along the surface of the roid because i could not line the claws up to the centre of mass on both at the same time. Oh and rendezvous and docking are simply painful moving that much mass precisely. Because of the save break the only screenshots i got of them together were in the dark, but here is a look:

2b8vwg.png

4qsy07.png

Edited by Nano606

Huh, that's weird, are you using any mods? I just did it myself.

Yeah i am using a few, but nothing to serious - just KW rocketry, Dragon 2 and some other small misc parts. The save game death did not happen immediately it took a few reloads before it finally died. First the ship wobbled all over the place, so i kept away from it as to not have it break, went and did other stuff for a few launches. I then captured a C class asteroid and and moved it to dock with the other roids shown. When i finally arrived after over an hour of fighting the thing into orbit i arrived to find only the ship that was attached to the E class (called 'tug') and no roids anywhere to be found. So i reloaded and the save and now the ship called 'tug' has completely disappeared and is not found in orbit - the ship that was attached to the D class appeared on the launch pad somehow. But i soldiered on and then all my other ships in orbit started to vanish so i quit that one.

This thread confirms just one thing:

NASA are pussies!

They are planning to put an asteroid in a lunar orbit, and here we are building structures in LKO out of asteroids.

Some people are even landing them.

I've never considered docking asteroids together. I have been building a base on an asteroid.

My ultimate plan is to put asteroids as moons around each planet, except Jool. I'll put asteroids around the moons there.

I've docked two class C asteroids together. I had much bigger plans for them, but as other have said, there are some real stability issues. It looks cool, but there is a lot of wobble and sometimes when approaching them everything attached to them would start jumping up and down like yo-yos. Nothing broke and a quick save/reload stopped the jumping around, but it didn't leaving me feeling like it was a stable foundation for a big station.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by katateochi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.