[Showcase] Showoff Your Rep-Worthy Crafts

My workhorse lander:

hxE6wXS.png

This single-stage lander has made dozens of round trips from a Munar orbital station to the surface and back. A copy did the same on Minmus. Much to my surprise, it will even make a powered landing on Kerbin from LKO - no chutes! The one in the pic has MechJeb and a ScanSAT BTDT, but it handles just fine without them. To run material science experiments I have a MSL with a docking port on each end that rides on top. It stays at the station when not in use.

SNIP

That vehicle is really cool-looking. I see some LackLusterLabs parts in there, but what's the mod you used for all the big hull pieces?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Those parts are from B9 (which has grown significantly since I last used it).

Edited by NGTOne

I think this one counts, so quoting myself here:

YmTMYJ8.png

So, some of you may remember my Eagle MkIII Munar Shuttle. Cute little thing, it was one of my most successful sleepers: even though it didn't generate that many comments (and let's face it, it wasn't terribly practical, it had a high part count, fuel consmption, and not so big payload) both it, and especially the base I built with it, have gotten close to 2k downloads, even though they also got pretty outdated a couple of versions ago. I doubt you remember the first one, though: that was like 0.19 or so! Anyhow, the Eagle lookalike has gotten to be one of "my things", which is curious considering I haven't even watched the show it's made from, and the think the whole design, while pretty, is pretty crappy :rolleyes:. But this is KSP, I am pretty decent with the building tools, and the part selection now allows some pretty cool stuff. So without further due, the most sci-fish of my ships yet, and this time it turns out to be damn useful and powerful: meet the Eagle MkV! :)

http://i.imgur.com/YmTMYJ8.png

No launch vehicle this time! Just good old fashioned air hogging, thrust, and lots of fuel. I've got to say, the performance has me a little worried: while getting a more than decent payload of about 20mT and the same payload dimensions as the old one, it is still capable of going to Munar orbit in a single stage to refuel there! The amount of fuel you use to drop the cargo on the Mun and get back up is truly ridiculous, BTW (as in, no need to put any fuel on the two main tanks). And sure, it SSTO'es from kerbin with 20mT loads mainly because of the unrealistic airbreathers, but check this out: it also gets 2km/s with full LFO mix in non-oxygenated atmospheres! So Duna SSTO is also covered, as well as most moons. There are chutes in case you have difficulty nailing good landings on airbreathing engines, too, though you can use the rocket setting on the RAPIERS to have a quicker response time. And of course you can use the nukes for incredible efficiency, so this can actually haul more than what you put in the bay between planets, thanks to the rear-facing docking port. Like, say, a whole base pack (sold separately! right now all you get is the fuel dump):

http://i.imgur.com/ijskXmL.png

So you can guess that the testing implied plenty of landings on Mun. I'm setting a new base there with one of these babies, and probably make a lot of money in the meantime with all the contracts... only this time I got to a very scenic location. Would you believe I got a kethane deposit right there? Anyhow, if you don't play with that mod, don't worry about the fuel bill that much: so fay I've spent less than one orange tank in dropping three of the base modules! It also has tons of little details like a universal port in the bay, or one hanging from the CoM, so you put all kind of things there to suit your needs, or a landing light system that is synchronized with the landing gear without you doing anything and put in a separate action group so you don't deploy the landing gears in the payload by accident. It helps that I've been playing with it on and off for months! I have gone straight from MkIII to MkV due to game versions catching up on me... :blush: Anyhow, I think it was worth it, and hope you do so too!

http://i.imgur.com/60gMGwy.png

http://i.imgur.com/Gu7LbJi.png

And the huge tank size means that when you have a fuel source (and we are getting a stock one soon, right? :)) it makes a more than decent tanker. So a true jack of all trades that will service any needs you space program might have. Want to have a satellite put into orbit cheaply? It might have a huge capital cost, but with an Eagle you only use fuel. Build base on Mun? Just say where and put an orange tank in orbit so it can refuel. take some modules to Laythe to set up a colony there? I've got you covered, just a matter of gas. Need a Kethane tanker to service said colony? Just build a kethane module for it, and this will also do it in it's spare time. Some scientific surveys on Duna's icecaps? Again, just stuff things in the cargo bay and have the depot system set up. If there ever was a definitive ship, ladies and gentlekerbs, I think this is it. :cool:

Oh, and if anyone needs a flight plan, I could write it up... but as a VTOL SSTO, it's pretty darn simple: get quickly to about 25kms up and make a speed run there, to a target flameout speed of about 1,400-1,500m/s at 27kms where you switch the RAPIERS to rocket, then above 32kms or so the jets give out. Play it by ear and don't let it flame out! You have plenty of rocket fuel to spare.

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/D6XcT

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/mzqj1rw6gbqri4w/Eagle+MkV+Airbreather.craft

Rune. Enjoy! I promise not to spam it much more.

If you're not going to use the airbreathing mode of the RAPIERs, you'll be better off using LV45s or aerospikes.
The big tank feeds into the shuttle. So its full when it detaches. But thanks for the advice. Edited by hellblazer

I engineered this space station a few days ago, Carrying ten Kerbals at maxium, It was the biggest I ever built without having to dock in orbit.

It came with a gigantic (yet not-so-stable) launcher, which is capable of sending it to the Mun.

9jqhrr.png Here it is with it's asparagus launcher.2hhn0i8.png A near disastrous separation of stages. The Mun is in the background.

29dg29g.png Here it is, in it's full glory. I kept an engine and some parachutes in case I wanted to deorbit it.

21e2jh0.png And Bill was very enthusiastic to go in EVA around the station!

mzgL3j4.jpg

Introducing the Newest in a series of stock utility helicopters as of 1/23/2015

The KH-06 Kickasaw

R3xm9tx.jpg

The Kickasaw is a medium range utility helicopter designed to land in water as well as on land. In this respect is the successor to the previous Guppy.

Although slightly slower than the Guppy in level flight, the Kickasaw has a much more durable bearing for the rotors.

8OAiqhe.jpg

ZEABQLY.jpg

D6AQj9E.jpg

lHSLyZc.jpg

m8bGXXv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.