[Showcase] Showoff Your Rep-Worthy Crafts

Made a replica Sopwith Camel!

You are now viewing Sharkman Briton's proudest creation yet, his easy to fly, good looking and (mostly) historically accurate Sopwith Camel replica!

Hello and welcome to my little replica's showcase page! I went ALL out on this one, and worked hard to bring you a Sopwith Camel replica! :) (If you hadn't guessed already.)

The Sopwith Camel was a British First World War single-seat biplane fighter introduced on the Western Front in 1917. Manufactured by the Sopwith Aviation Company, it had a short-coupled fuselage, heavy, powerful rotary engine, and concentrated fire from twin synchronized machine guns. Though difficult to handle, to an experienced pilot it provided tremendous manoeuvrability. A superlative fighter, the Camel was credited with shooting down 1,294 enemy aircraft, more than any other Allied fighter of the conflict. It also served as a ground-attack aircraft, especially towards the end of the war, by which point it was outclassed in the air-to-air role by newer German fighters.

:D

I made this beautiful aircraft for many reasons, for fun, to test my abilities, and to muck around with open cockpits and propellors (albeit unmoving) but I was mostly inspired by my history teacher, who did a lesson on WW1 aircraft with me, we talked about Focker Scourge's and more importantly, the Sopwith Camel, previously I didn't know what this aircraft was and had never heard of it, he taught me about it and showed me a clip from The Red Baron (IDK much about what is was, but I do know it's kind of a WW1 drama based off of the Red Baron.) which had many cool bi-planes in it, when I got home I had a look at this 'Sopwith Camel' and tried to recreate it, and this was the result - I'm proud!

There is one thing this thing isn't very accurate at, and that would be the guns, as the only Vickers I could find (they were in the TUKE attack systems mod.) were way too big for the aircraft, so I used normal BDA browning guns.

To simulate the shape of the tail (I've never been able to get it right before and am never happy with having to give in to a normal tail connector B.) I clipped in an NCS adapter, with the clipped & hidden Basic Jet Engine that was normally fine being clipped into a tail connector couldn't handle being clipped into two parts and wouldn't propel the aircraft, so I added a 650 I-beam to mount the engine on and it worked a charm, at the expense of a bit of aesthetics as the engine isn't so well hidden anymore.

The open cockpit is pretty similar to the one seen on my Bunting 101 Monoplane, except with a slightly different decoration on the interior and only one seat to stay true to the real Sopwith Camel.

I ran into offset troubles with the top wing so thats why that cubic strut is there. :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yes, thats right, the guy somehow survived a head-on collision with the astronaut complex, even though the whole building collapsed.

One download link to rule them all...

Enjoy, and I hope you all like my work!

Don't know if I will ever consider my project finished. But maybe one of these next few weeks. I entirely redesigned the space shuttle launch stage to look more accurate and lesser in part count. The shuttle can now carry a maximum of 25 tons to low kerbin orbit. Only about 280-ish parts at launch including launch clamps.

NCWztUD.jpg

XEqTosj.jpg

Q0zG7EI.jpg

Edited by Jon144

My tribute to Airwolf.

This is not a perfect rendition of the absolute look of Airwolf from the show of the same name. I’ve seen at least one other that

. But that one was around 150 parts!

I wanted to make one with a reasonable part count that doesn’t kill your framerate that approximates the look and functions of the original that still looks really good. Think of this as more of a "Inspired by" kind of design.

(And to answer the obvious question - No, she can't go Mach 1. But she can do half of that! Which for a heli is FANTASTIC. And she can also fly with absolutely no complaints at x4 Physics warp, so if you want to fly long distance, but want to shorten the real world wait, you can put it on auto-pilot/MechJeb assist and ramp the Time warp up to max with no problems.)

Cue

! :D

sUgMOqu.png

5z2GyQP.png

RvdaKud.png

FFSA1QF.png

m3RG6Lo.png

oZgHCKJ.png

TyNs3MP.png

Official release thread

Edited by Logan.Darklighter

CubeSat

New in the engineering proces of my company [thread=125035]Testar Micro Engineering[/thread] are the replica's and other real life imitations of space craft. The first in this line are the CubeSats. This spacecraft is a unmanned probe with a cubical shape.

The mini version of the CubeSat is a blast. It is small and has a whopping package of almost 4.000 dV. It has numerous scientific expieriments on board.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My tribute to Airwolf.

This is not a perfect rendition of the absolute look of Airwolf from the show of the same name. I’ve seen at least one other that

. But that one was around 150 parts!

I wanted to make one with a reasonable part count that doesn’t kill your framerate that approximates the look and functions of the original that still looks really good. Think of this as more of a "Inspired by" kind of design.

(And to answer the obvious question - No, she can't go Mach 1. But she can do half of that! Which for a heli is FANTASTIC. And she can also fly with absolutely no complaints at x4 Physics warp, so if you want to fly long distance, but want to shorten the real world wait, you can put it on auto-pilot/MechJeb assist and ramp the Time warp up to max with no problems.)

Cue

! :D

http://i.imgur.com/sUgMOqu.png

http://i.imgur.com/5z2GyQP.png

http://i.imgur.com/RvdaKud.png

http://i.imgur.com/FFSA1QF.png

http://i.imgur.com/m3RG6Lo.png

http://i.imgur.com/oZgHCKJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/TyNs3MP.png

Official release thread

My god that is amazing, +rep for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/30/2014 at 1:50 PM, allmhuran said:

I have chosen to play stock parts only. I do use a couple of mods, but only convenience/bugfix/gui improvement mods like editor extensions, precise maneuver nodes, etc.

you could use hydralics and cargo bays :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.