'lo

Spyre9

Hello, was told about KSP just before the weekend, and have only put it down when the Mrs threatened to leave me! An excellent game/sim, really excited about the prospects of this and where it could go.

Managed to get an oribit going, left it for 4 hours while I went out, then landed, great fun! Just cant seem to get the thrust to do a transfer orbit to the Mun!

So I figure IF i can get the fuel to get too the moon, getting back is going to be a nightmare with a LEM... can we re-attach two stages? the idea being to detach and leave a fuel tank in orbit so can return to it then fly home?

Welcome to the forum!

You can\'t currently (though it is planned for the vaguely near future) dock parts together, unfortunately, but it doesn\'t take much fuel to return from the Mun-the relative distances are a lot less than the Earth-Moon system. You don\'t need too much thrust for Munar transfer, what\'s important is timing and fuel (but, again, not that much).

No, really, you got me confused

\'lo-hello, the Mrs.-wife... I can\'t see anything else in there that could be even slightly confusing...

Sorry, sometimes my structuring can be a little random, mostly because I\'m amending and changing what I am writing as a go along.

As for fuel, I\'ll play around with it and try other methods for slingshot and see how the timing works, granted using one fuel cell to do it might not have a long enough duration to reach velocity to get out that far.

Cheers

You can actually just use RCS to get off the mun, just get about 8 thusters and 2-3 tanks attached to the command module via seperator, drop it as soon as you are about to land back on kerbin. (You can probably put the droping of it in with when you activate your parachute.)

(Its also usefull for landing on the mun.)

Hope this helps!