[Updated September 27th] A Planet Divided: The Story of the Kold War

NQMT

Chapter 4-2 is complete! This is a bit of a shorter chapter; mainly showing off the CKFN's new toys.

7ittO0xt.png

CKFN: Facility for Space Research, Danford's Office

Two Weeks Later

Danford leaned back in his desk, watching as the engineer standing in front of him drew the presentation to a close. The kerbal in question was lead engineer on the Space Programme's division working on the Aurora capsule, Caelus' successor.

Danford reflected on what he'd heard so far. It was really quite remarkable what the team had accomplished; in just over three months, they'd come up with a far more capable and technologically-advanced ship compared to Caelus. The engineer's face positively shone with pride at what they'd done as he pointed at a technical diagram of the capsule. Danford liked that, it really showed how dedicated his crew was towards the Programme.

ffbGBbT.jpg

The engineer concluded his speech. "So as you can see sir, Aurora has a completely redesigned thermal cooling system, which can and will prevent any incidents like the one with Caelus III on its Munar trip. Do you have any further questions?"

Danford did. "I noticed that the capsule appears to have two docking ports, one fore and one aft. Are those both going to be functional?"

"Yes sir, the capsule will indeed be able to connect to two spacecraft at once. In fact, we envisioned it as connecting both to the Munar lander as well as a Janus refuelling spacecraft."

1KKqldf.jpg

"Ah excellent," Danford then glanced at some of the more detailed specifications for the spacecraft. "What's this I see? There's no liquid fuel carried on board?"

"This was a suggestion from one of the Propulsion Engineers; we wanted to make Aurora as safe as possible. So we did away with conventional liquid fuel and oxidizer, and designed the monopropellant in the RCS system to be used for main propulsion as well as fine position control. This will make for a ship which won't detonate if a tank is breached, as well as giving it exceptional long-term capabilities. The fuel will be just as viable two years from now as it is today. Of course, that does come at the cost of reduced delta-v once in orbit."

oRo57ev.jpg

"That's not too big of a problem," Danford replied. "Aurora should mainly act as a command-and-control vessel for larger spacecraft or carry crew up to low orbit. I don't expect it will have to venture out into deep space on its own. Speaking of which, you mentioned Janus during your presentation. What's the news on the updated version of that vessel?"

"Ah yes, Janus is a very simple craft so it was trivial to simply widen the body to accommodate Aurora's ventral docking port, as well as fit more fuel as well as an engine on-board. In fact, we have an early version of that ship ready for launch, which can occur as soon as Jupiter I is ready."

"Fantastic. I just heard from Dilbrett that he's planning to launch the Jupiter I prototype within the week, if everything goes well."

UPS7MM2.jpg

"That is excellent news. I think this is everything you need to know about the capsule. I'll get an intern to give you a complete technical readout of our designs."

Danford leaned back in his chair. "That would be much appreciated, thank you. Now, speaking of launch dates, how long do you think the capsule will take to complete?"

The engineer deflated somewhat, losing his earlier good cheer. "Well, sir, that's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"Go ahead."

"The Vehicle Assembly Building is proving to be entirely unsuitable for our needs; the facilities simply aren't up to the task of the high-precision work necessary to assemble the capsule. We've tried to outsource as much as possible, but the most we can give you is a simple boilerplate, with only basic systems included."

"Hmm. So basically we can't get to the Mun without better tech?"

"Exactly, sir. There's just no way to build a spacecraft which is rugged enough to get to the Mun and stay there with our current equipment."

"I've been trying for months to get Bilcas to allocate more funds to the Space Program for precisely that reason, but he keeps refusing me. Maybe this news will pressure him into finally coming through for us."

"Hopefully, sir. In the meantime, what would you prefer my team focus on? We could assist Dilbrett's team with the Jupiter prototype, get it to the launchpad a few days ahead of schedule?"

"No, no, your time is better spent elsewhere. Continue working on Aurora, at the very least build the boilerplate, as we can launch that. Make sure your team is ready to begin building the capsule as soon as the required facilities become available. When you're through with that, focus on the Munar lander. We're going to want to put a kerbal on the surface, after all."

"Very good sir! I'll let my team know!"

F1pwRXB.jpg

A few days later, in the VAB, Danford paid a visit to Dilbrett's team. "How goes the Jupiter?" the Director called out.

A kerbal in the middle of welding a seam in a rocket engine, face covered by a mask, looked up. Upon seeing Danford, he shut off his torch and lifted the mask. Beneath was Dilbrett's face, smeared with grease. "Hey Danford! Everything's going well, thanks! It's good to see you! Want a coffee?"

Dilbrett pointed at a battered, ancient coffee machine which looked like it predated the Great War. Danford wouldn't have been surprised if it burned coal.

"Ah, I'll pass, thanks." He looked up at the body of the prototype Jupiter I, looming large overhead. "I see you're making good progress on the rocket. When's the expected launch date?"

"Shouldn't be much more than a few more days," Dilbrett said, somewhat preoccupied with working his thick welding gloves off his fingers. "The fuel tanks are complete, and once we finalize work on the main engine, she'll be ready to fly!"

Danford took note of the massive engine bell. "That certainly is a main engine. I think I could fit my car in there!"

"Ha! We've taken to calling it the 'Mainsail' around here, the thrust it'll output is comparable to one of the city-states' total power plants' outputs in a year!"

Danford chuckled. "So will this be the final version of Jupiter which will fly, Brett?"

"Not entirely. The rocket you see here is just the final prototype of the Jupiter I lifter. When we launch, it won't even have a second stage on board; it's just to test the engine and to make sure that all systems work properly. 2.5 metre rockets are no joke, after all."

Dilbrett's smile faded as his thoughts obviously turned to the USKK's ill-fated Uranus IX. Danford tried to take his mind off the situation by changing the subject.

"So, uh, I heard you guys were planning on making this recoverable?"

Evidently, this was the right thing to say, as the smile returned to the lead engineer's face. "We are! Of course, today's rocket won't be, but there are plans to outfit future rockets with the technology."

"So will it let you land the rocket stages safely?"

"Yes, the initial designs will add landing legs and parachutes to the Jupiter first stages. This should let the stage come back down, be refurbished, and reused on a future launch. This should bring costs down a great deal!"

"That's good to hear. Apparently we're going to need more advanced facilities in order to make it to the Mun with Aurora, so we're going to have to do some major cost-saving efforts around here. Recycling our rockets will be a great way to do that!"

"Cost-saving? You mean we won't be able to replace the coffee machine?"

The machine in question chose that moment to unleash a particularly nasty-sounding gurgle, and belched a cloud of thick, black smoke.

"Ah, well, we'll see about the coffee maker. I may be able to pass its replacement off under 'kerbal rights'."

"Excellent, that's good to hear! I'm beginning to suspect it may be possessed by some sort of demon."

"Really? You believe in that sort of thing? Why that's just---"

The coffee maker let out more smoke, this time emitting a noise which sounded a little too much like a roar.

"I---er---I'll look into it. Good luck on the rocket, Brett!" Danford beat a hasty retreat, making a note to get that coffee maker replaced---or at the very least exorcised---immediately.

RUbCH8k.jpg

Three days later, Danford grinned as he watched the Jupiter I rocket roll out to the launchpad. Completed at last, the ship shone in the morning sun. For a change, Mission Control wouldn't be monitoring this launch. No complicated payload stood atop this rocket, rather it was Instead, the engineers had the run of the launch controls. This would be as simple as one of the old sounding rocket launches they'd done a year or two ago. Rocket lifts off, rocket reaches highest point, rocket comes down. Simplicity itself.

A shout from the launchpad alerted him that fuelling had completed, and the rocket was nearly ready for takeoff. Soon enough, the ship's umbilical cables disconnected, and it leapt into the air.

N2SOyBO.jpg

Leapt was perhaps an understatement; the thrust of the main engine was designed to carry both an upper stage and a sizable payload, so its Thrust to Weight ratio was far greater than the rockets Danford had seen launched so far.

In the blink of an eye, it cleared the tower and was on its way to climbing higher than the mountains near the Space Facility. Soon, it was almost too small to see.

haYF2Cz.jpg

Danford looked over to the engineers manning a makeshift Mission Control; a tech kept a radio dish pointed at the rocket, receiving telemetry and performance data from the vehicle. This was displayed on a number of screens all connected together with some unholy tangle of wires. Two engineers monitored the data, and a printer was busily outputting the most important information onto a long strip of paper.

"How's the rocket looking?" the Director asked. One engineer looked up.

"She's performing very well, but the higher acceleration is playing all sorts of havoc with our aerodynamic results. She's barely made 5 klicks and already is at Mach 1!"

The other piped in, not looking up from his monitor. "We're getting a nasty temperature rise on the upper portions of the rocket, I don't think that nose cone's going to last much longer!"

EeJ5sqf.png

As the tech said that, several numbers went into the red, and suddenly they cut out altogether.

"Well dang, there goes the transceiver, probably fried by the heat. If that's gone, we don't have any control over the ship anymore."

The kerbal pointed up to the sky, where the trail of smoke left by the rocket was now tilting to the left, as the rocket tipped over and began its long fall back to Kerbin. Fortunately, the Space Facility wasn't near any civilian-populated areas.

LM8Yr3m.jpg

Danford was somewhat worried by this. "If you lose control authority when things get warm, isn't that bad?"

The second engineer chuckled. "Well yeah, if you wind up going over Mach 2 under 10 klicks, shock heating's going to cook your goose for sure. With an actual payload underneath, there's no way we'll reach those speeds that early into the flight."

The first tech showed Danford the long strip of output numbers. "Look at these thrust and temperature readings on the Mainsail itself! Gorgeous!"

Danford thought that the numbers looked rather like random values, but he smiled and mhmm'd at the kerbal. Still, if the engineer was happy, Danford was happy.

He walked away, adding elements to his mental checklist. Now that the launcher was well on its way to completion, all the Space Programme needed was to build Aurora, and design a Munar lander system. The Mun drew ever closer, and with the USKK out of the picture, his workers had the luxury of time and being able to double-check their work.

They were making excellent progress; he had no doubts that one day soon the CKFN would land a kerbal on the Mun.

An alternative title for this one is Kold War III: The Search for Jeb. :P

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Space Center, Bob Kerman's Office

One Month Later

---

"...and as you can see, sir, the Advanced Projects Division is fully staffed and working at optimum efficiency. However, they have yet to actually produce anything of value."

"As I said, Joli, give them time. Aerospace developments don't happen overnight!"

Joliana's jaw set. "With all due respect, now that the CKFN has proven they have a 2.5 meter launch vehicle, it may be best to re-task the division to focus primarily on a wide-bodied lifter of our own." She picked up a grainy surveillance photograph and waved it around to punctuate her point.

She sighed. "Perhaps you could get them to dig up the Uranus IX specifications, focus on solving the first-stage overheating issues?"

Bob was adamant. "Give them time. Uranus IX was a rush job, built just to beat the CKFN to the Mun. It failed. The techs need to take things slowly and make sure they don't miss any rocket designs which could be more efficient than the current ones."

"Very well sir." Joliana grumbled. She pulled another paper out of the stack she was carrying. "In other news, it looks like there are still complaints about lack of direction from the Space Center staff, though those have decreased substantially from the engineers. In my opinion, sir, we need to get Bill to decide what the Space Program should focus on."

"What's the mood in the capital? With those government observers finally gone, maybe Bill will want to finally focus on the Program? Then again, he's been over there for a good week now. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something big's going down."

"I'm afraid I don't know, sir. I'm a field agent first and foremost; the politics going on in Kolus City are no concern of mine."

"Huh. Well, whatever it is, it's been consuming a great deal of Bill's time. In fact..." Bob's face drew into a wide grin, the one Joliana associated with one of his schemes.

Oh no, she thought to herself. What does he have planned now? "Sir?"

"It may be time to take a little vacation."

"A...vacation?" Whatever it was Joliana expected to come out of Bob's mouth, it was certainly not this.

"Yes, but not to the Dazian Beaches. I'll have need for your skills; I'm planning to go hunting for a certain kerbal, one who can tie ."

"And that kerbal would be...?" The question was almost redundant, as she realized there was only one possible answer.

"Jebediah Kerman," was Bob's response, and Joliana sighed, suspicions confirmed.

"*With all due respect---*" Before she could commence her rant on why bringing back Jebediah was a *terrible idea*, Bob cut her off.

"I know what you're going to say; his policies caused the death of three kerbals, chaos in the engineering department, and put us seriously behind in the space technology race with the CKFN."

"You are correct, sir." Those three topics were precisely what Joliana was going to mention.

"Which is why I want to bring Jeb back, but in an advisory role only. You can't deny the kerbal had *vision*! His plans and ideas brought us to dominate Low Kerbin Orbit for nearly a year, doing research which is still bearing fruit for scientists here on Kerbin."

"Then launch more kerbals into orbit. It doesn't take Jebediah to tell you that."

"The game has changed, Joli. Jeb's got more imagination than the entire administration of this Program, and we're going to need that if we want to beat the CKFN to the Mun, especially with their advantages over us so far."

Joliana massaged her forehead. "All right. Suppose Jebediah would be an asset to the Program, rather than the liability he's proven to be. How do you propose to find him? He's dropped completely off the map."

"I have a few ideas, the first and foremost his old hometown. There's bound to be someone there who he's talked to recently."

"You do realize you don't require me if all you want to do is talk to Jeb's old friends, correct?"

"Well, I do require your connections. Bill's likely to be back within a few days, and I need to get up north quickly. Do you happen to know of any jets I could borrow?"

She sighed. "I do know of a craft or two I could borrow for a day or two. But I doubt you know how to fly one, they're fairly new technology."

Bob bowed his head, conceding that much. "You are correct, I can't fly a plane. Besides, I have a bit of an...issue...with heights. Perhaps you could chauffeur me? You are my personal assistant, after all."

"I suppose so, sir." While Joliana grumbled externally, she was secretly glad for this opportunity. She quite enjoyed flying the new prototype jet planes USI had been developing, and this would be an excellent opportunity to get away from the dullness of her duties here at the Space Center.

"Excellent, let me know when you have it ready, I have a few last-minute arrangements to make. The sooner we leave, the better the chance we get back before Bill returns."

"Yes sir."

---

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Kolus City, Legislative Buildings, Prime Minister's Office

Three Hours Later

---

Bill Kerman leaned forward in disbelief. "So what is it you're saying, sir?"

The Prime Minister of the USKK leaned back in his seat. "I am saying that Parliament was not satisfied with the governmental investigators' reports."

"But I've worked to include their suggestions over the past few months into Space Program policy! That's the entire reason I've been here so often over the last few months."

"Now, don't get me wrong. I appreciate your cooperation with the government regarding the policy changes, but there is a subset of Parliament which thinks that more extreme measures are needed."

"And those extreme measures are to put the Space Program under government control."

"Yes. Bill, I know the independent Program has covered a lot of ground over the past few years and done wonderful things for science and public inspiration, but to be honest, Parliament has lost faith."

"What? After a single accident?"

The Prime Minister sighed. "It's not just that. Look, Bill, we've been seeing diminishing returns from the Program. Your most recent missions haven't given much of a technological advantage or done as much useful science as the initial ones. My colleagues and I believe that greater good can be accomplished by beating the CKFN on the home front, rather than trying to explore a new frontier."

Bill's shoulders slumped. "Surely public opinion counts for something? The people are incredibly enthusiastic about the Program!"

"Not particularly. The most recent public opinion polls reveal that the explosion of *Uranus IX*---the debris killed nineteen civilians, thank Harv it wasn't more---has made the public far more worried about the impact that space travel has on both themselves as kerbals, and on the nation itself. I daresay very few kerbals will go out to watch the next rocket launch."

Bill conceded the point. "You've stated Parliament's worries. What are these increased governmental controls?"

The Prime Minister passed a sheet of paper over the desk to Bill. "As you can see, the document---Bill UK-67---outlines the transition towards a government-overseen space agency. The Director---which is you, of course---will be replaced with a governmental-chosen candidate who will answer directly to Parliament, and the Program's funding will also be overseen by that body. Naturally, you are free to continue working with the Program, just not as its Director."

Bill kept reading. "What's this at the bottom? You're restricting launch sizes? This would prevent the Program from launching anything but tiny probes! Correction, tiny probes to *low orbit*!"

"Ah yes, an excellent suggestion from one of my colleagues. There was a great deal of concern over the Uranus IX explosion, and many in Parliament feared that more kerbals would be at risk if there existed additional, less obvious, flaws in the engineering work or policies. This size and payload restriction will let any unforeseen kinks work their way out."

"But this puts us completely out of the race for the Mun! The CKFN will surely beat us there if we're stuck launching tiny payloads!"

The Prime Minister raised an eyebrow. "Bill, I believe your Program is operating under the impression that the USKK is desperately competing with the CKFN in space. While they have admittedly made some progress there, their achievements have merely matched your own. This government believes that effort should be spent on beating the CKFN in more functional applications, such as economic dominance, or militarily. Your Program should be focused on that as well, rather than attempting to send kerbals straight for the Mun, which is as far as our scientists can tell, a featureless rock."

"So that's it? The Program is finished?"

"I wouldn't say it's *finished*. The Bill is still in its early stages, and Parliament will not vote on it for a few months. I'm informing you of its existence now to give you time to let go of non-essential staff, gear down production, and prepare for a successor."

"You mean the Bill isn't in effect yet? There's a chance to stop it?"

At this, the Prime Minister let out a sigh. "No. Bill, this---*ahem*---bill is a near-certainty in my books. I highly advise against trying to fight this; all it will do is tarnish your reputation further."

Bill stood up. "Very well. I suppose we're done here."

As Bill walked towards the door, the Prime Minister spoke. "Bill, don't get me wrong, I admire what you managed to do these past few years. But this nation needs to stand together against the CKFN, not be divided over the Space Program."

Bill left the office. Regardless what the Prime Minister said, he was going to fight this bill. The Space Program couldn't be snuffed out that easily!

---

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Tenby, Jebediah Kerman's hometown

One day later

---

With a practised hand, Joliana set the aircraft she'd procured down on the cracked tarmac of a back lot. She suspected that a town as small as this wouldn't get much air traffic, particularly a cutting-edge Vertical Take Off and Landing design. She just hoped it was out of the way enough.

"Where did you have in mind for searching for Jebediah, sir?" she asked as the two exited the vessel.

"I thought we'd walk around and get to know the place, see if anyone knows of Jeb, then take it from there. We're in no real rush, Bill's not due back from the capital for a few days."

As it turned out, finding information about Jeb was less difficult than they'd initially thought. The town appeared to be proud of their famous kerbal, and most kerbals they talked to had some anecdote or another about Jeb. However, it wasn't until they met the local general store owner when they found information of value.

"Ah, Jeb! You know, he's a bigwig at the Space Program now! I did so enjoy watching those rockets go up on the TV---except for that most recent one. 'Tis a pity. Ah, I remember when Jeb still lived here though, must have been, oh, twenty, twenty-five years ago? He used to pop down to the store for snacks every weekend! Ah, that was before the Great War, you know, I nearly had to shut down the store during that conflict! Terrible for business, that was."

"Yes, ah, I can imagine. Do you know if Jeb has been back in town recently? We're looking for him; he left the Space Program nearly four months ago." asked Bob, clearly a little impatient with this kerbal's stories.

"Huh, well I can't recall Jeb being back in town recently; he'd surely have come by to visit me! But if you want to know more about where Jeb might be, I'd check with Valentina. She's an old flame of his; they were close for a while a few years ago."

"Hmm, do you have any idea how we could get in touch with her?"

"I think she's one of them fancy new fighter jet pilots now, but I just heard she's back in town. You can probably find her at the bar down the street, to tell you the truth. But what's this about Jeb not being with the Program any more?"

Joliana could see that Bob had no desire to continue the conversation now that he had the information he needed. So she quickly intervened. "I'm afraid we don't have much time, and have to run. Thank you for your cooperation!"

---

The bar the shopkeeper mentioned was a quiet affair, certainly no wretched hive of scum and villainy like what Joliana was expecting. Evidently the locals preferred their drinks in peace. Still, she must be cautious. Entering, Bob made his way to the barkeeper, a heavyset kerbal cleaning out some glasses. Joliana followed, keeping her eye out for trouble.

"Excuse me," Bob asked. "Is Valentina Kerman here tonight?"

The barkeeper made an affirmative-sounding grunt and jerked a thumb towards a corner booth. Bob thanked the kerbal and the two made their way over to the table.

Upon reaching it, Bob spoke. "Valentina Kerman, I presume?"

"Who's asking?" came the response. The kerbal appeared uninterested. "Look, whatever it is you want, I probs won't be able to give it to ya, my squadron's shipping out tomorrow morning."

"Don't worry. All I need is information. On one certain Jebediah Kerman."

At this, Valentina raised an eyebrow. "Jeb? Jeez, I haven't spoken to him in years. Why are you asking me, by Mu? Isn't he some sort of bigwig at the Space Program now?"

Bob slipped into the seat opposite Valentina. "Yes, up to about four months ago. He's vanished off the map, and we're trying to find him. I've been told you were close to him...do you have any idea where he might have gone?"

The other kerbal's eyes narrowed. "Before I go telling you Jeb's life story, mind if I ask just who you are? I'm a bit of the suspicious type, you know."

Bob chuckled. "Hey Joli, looks like we've found you a kindred spirit!" Leaning up against a wall and scanning the crowd for trouble, the secret agent narrowed her eyes, unamused. "Regardless, I'm Bob Kerman, co-founder of the USKK Space Program. This here is my assistant, Joliana."

Valentina leaned back in her chair. "Ah, so you're Bob. I recall Jeb mentioning you a couple times. Nice to meet you."

"Likewise. So, how about it? Any idea where Jeb may have gone?"

Valentina's brow wrinkled. "Well, I can't tell you much for certain, but I do know he's got a cabin up in the northern woods. You used to only be able to get to it by hiking, but nowadays I'm sure you can just fly there, though you might have a bit of a time landing your plane! I'll give you the coords if you want to check the place out."

"We'll manage, and the coordinates would be most helpful, thank you."

"Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd need them again, 'specially after your guys asked me about this a few weeks ago. Maybe they got lost, heh?" She scribbled down some numbers on the back of a napkin.

"Our guys?" asked Bob.

"Yeah, the big dudes with weird accents. Said they were from the Space Program too."

At this, Joliana's eyes widened, coming to a realization. She caught hold of Bob's sleeve. "Excuse me, sir, but we need to leave."

Looking around, Bob looked like he was about to protest, but thought better of it when he saw the look in Joliana's eyes.

"Ah, very well. Thank you for the information, Valentina. I'll say hi to Jeb for you when we see him."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever..." The pilot turned her attention back to her drink.

Outside, Bob turned to Joliana. "Do you mind telling me what that was all about?"

She didn't turn around, but kept walking quickly towards where they'd parked the aircraft. "The CKFN."

"Were there agents in the bar? I didn't see..."

"No, they were the ones who talked to Valentina!"

"You sure? It could have been just a couple of concerned citizens, looking for the founder of the Space Program."

"Think about it, your rival's space program's leader just up and quits after a rocket blows up. If I was the CKFN, I would spend all my efforts determining his whereabouts. An opportunity like this would be too good to pass up, if you ask me."

Bob had caught up to her now. "You don't mean that Jeb's...in danger from these agents?"

Her face darkened. "I don't know. But we need to get to that cabin before they do."

Shooing away a couple of small children who were enamoured by the plane's sleek lines, she climbed in the cockpit and began the engine start-up sequence, before rocketing into the sky and towards the provided coordinates.

---

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Jeb's Summer Cabin, Northern USKK

Two hours later

---

Eyeing the terrain below, Joliana glanced over her shoulder. "We're less than five kilometers out, sir. I suggest you strap in; this could be a rough landing."

Nervously peering out at the endless expanse of trees, Bob did as she asked. "Doesn't look like any clearings ahead. Is this plane strong enough to survive a landing on top of a tree?"

"Theoretically." This did not appear to calm Bob's nerves, already appeared to be on edge due to the height. "I imagine the cabin has some sort of clearing around it, though."

To Joliana's relief (and likely Bob's as well), the cabin did indeed have a patch of grass surrounding it, flat and wide enough to serve as a makeshift landing pad. She brought the plane down once more as smooth as a feather, though she did catch a wing on one of the surrounding trees' branches. Hopefully the paint wasn't scratched, or she'd never hear the end of it back at USI.

After exiting the plane, Joliana crept carefully up to the cabin, sitting serenely on top of a rise in the grass. She motioned Bob to get down behind a rock.

"You can't possibly think those CKFN agents got here first, now do you? We were going so fast in that plane I thought it was going to split in half!"

"Bob, they've had weeks to get here. Even on foot, it's not too far from the nearest town."

"Well, it doesn't look like anyone's here."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Joliana said darkly. If the agents had already come and gone and encountered Jebediah---, well, Bob's plan to breathe more life into the Space Program would very quickly fall apart. "Let's move up."

The two crept closer to the cabin, and Joliana tried the door. "Locked."

"Good or bad sign?" asked Bob.

"Not sure, give me a second and I'll get this open," she said, pulling a custom-built lockpick from her utility belt and reaching for the lock. It was an old-fashioned single-tumbler design and she unlocked it easily enough.

As the door opened, a wave of dust poured out. Bob looked like he was about to begin a coughing fit, but he put a hand over his mouth and stepped to the side, suppressing it. Joliana held her breath and ventured into the cabin. It didn't take her long to conclude Jebediah wasn't there. In fact, it didn't look like anyone had lived there for years, based upon the lack of personal belongings and several-centimetre-thick layer of dust that lay over everything.

Bob walked in. "Well---*ahem*---it looks like Jeb didn't come back to his cabin after all. By Max, where could he be?"

"Not sure. Any more ideas as to places to look for him?"

"There might be another place he could be at, but it's hard to say if it'll be another wild goose chase or not."

"I'll take any lead over no lead," Joliana said as she walked back outside. Then she froze. A tall kerbal dressed in hiking clothes stood outside, about halfway down the hill. He spoke crisply, in a clear CKFN accent.

"Ah, hello there! Do either of you chaps happen to know where one might find a certain Jebediah Kerman? We were told this cabin belonged to him."

Joliana drew her service pistol and levelled it.

"Put your hands up, Confederate scum."

The CKFN spy, for his credit, did not freeze, but leaped behind several rocks in one swift, fluid movement. That didn't stop Joliana from letting off several shots, but their only effect was to send a few rock chips flying.

"We're going, Bob!" she yelled at the kerbal still inside the cabin. A second or two later, Bob emerged, half-covered in dust. He looked like he dove to the floor the second he'd heard gunfire. Smart.

From behind the rocks, she could hear the CKFN agent speaking into his wrist radio. "Nox 2, I've come under fire from enemy units at the cabin, repeat, hostiles engaged."

Knowing the agent was calling for backup, Joliana grabbed Bob by the collar and took off running for the plane. She managed to get a few shots off, but unfortunately didn't hit anything. Still, it stopped the agent from returning fire.

Finally, the two reached the aircraft. Joliana shoved Bob up the ladder, and quickly followed. She wasted no time with pre-flight checklists, but rather fed fuel to the engines (still warm from their landing not ten minutes earlier) and shoved the throttle forward. The aircraft's vertical-facing engines roared to life, scorching the grass underneath.

When the aircraft had cleared the treetop, Joliana immediately spooled up the main jet engines, shoving them both back in their seats as the plane accelerated away. She could see Bob's knuckles turning white as he desperately clutched his seat's armrests.

Finally, putting some distance between them and the agents, she let out the breath she'd been holding. She turned to Bob.

"Confirmation of CKFN agents operating here is definitely something USI should know about. I'm going to need to call this in. Mind getting in the back while I call?"

"Sure. I imagine you want to know where we're headed next first, though?"

"Right. You said you had an idea to where Jebediah may have gone?"

"Yes. A year or two back, Jeb wanted to open up an airbase on one of the islands north of the Space Center. He intended it to be a hub of shipping and transportation. He even started spending a lot of time up there, flying back and forth himself in an early-model aircraft."

"So is that airbase still there?"

"Yeah, but it never proved to be financially viable. The Space Program's funders wrote it up as a loss and the place was shut down. I can't imagine why Jeb would want to go there, but it's the place with the next-closest connection I can think of."

"All right, I'll set a course for the airbase now."

---

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Space Center, Bill Kerman's Office

Four hours later

---

Bill watched shadows outside getting longer and longer as the sun set.

He sighed. What could he do? From where he was sitting, the government was right. The Space Program was divided, unfocused, and would probably not make it to the Mun before the CKFN regardless. He'd recently seen some improvement, particularly with the engineers, but it was almost certainly too little, too late. In a few months, the Space Program would be over.

Not for the first time in recent days, he found himself wondering what Jeb would have done, if he was around. Then, he cursed himself for thinking of that kerbal. It was Jeb who was responsible for all this. His policies, his apathy towards proper safety procedures, and then dumping the whole Program's responsibility onto Bill at the first sign of trouble.

Again, Bill sighed. *If only that blasted rocket hadn't blown up*. He'd tried his best to keep the Program together in the aftermath of *Uranus IX*, but he just wasn't cut out for the job of Director. No matter how much direction he'd tried to give the Program, it never seemed to be enough. There was always more work to be done, another governmental investigator to satisfy, another document which required his signature.

Maybe this is for the best, though, he thought, as the sun disappeared over the horizon, shrouding his office in darkness.

---

vMg8ySGt.png

USKK: Jebediah Kerman's Personal Retreat

Five hours later

---

"This is it."

"It appears the runway is not in terrible shape, I'll land conventionally." Joliana brought the plane down and taxied towards the main aircraft hangers. "Where do you expect to find Jebediah?"

Bob scratched his chin. "There's a series of old administration buildings further inland, but let's first check the aircraft hangers. Jeb's always loved planes."

The plane came to a stop, and the two exited, approaching the largest of the hangers. Before they got halfway there, a voice stopped them.

"Hello, Bob."

A lone figure emerged from the base's aircraft control tower, and walked toward Bob and Joliana. It was Jebediah Kerman, looking tired and scruffy, with week-old stubble and large bags under his eyes.

"Jeb, it's good to see you! How have you, ah, been?" Bob said, quite happily.

The former Director took a moment to reply. "I've...been getting by. Why did you come here?"

"Jeb, I'm going to be honest with you. We need you back at the Space Program."

With this, Jebediah turned away. "Didn't you hear me after Uranus IX exploded? I'm done. Done with killing kerbals and done with space."

"I don't believe that for a second. What happened to the optimistic kerbal who believed in the Space Program? Who believed we could make a difference in the world? Who believed we could explore space peacefully, and for the betterment of all of Kerbin?"

"He's gone, Bob."

Joliana smiled to herself. Having witnessed the inspirational speeches Bob liked to whip up, she had a feeling this would be an entertaining exchange. Meanwhile, Jeb continued his self-pitying spiel.

"After Uranus IX exploded, I saw first-hand what I had done to the Space Program, and I hated myself for it. I can't go back. I stay here, and wander this base. The empty hangers remind me of my penance, and I must stay here to live through it."

Joliana suppressed another smile. Really? That sort of thing sounded like what an adolescent would write into their diary while trying to be all 'deep' and insisting to their mother that 'this wasn't a phase'. She deeply hoped Bob would put some sense into the kerbal, because she was on the verge of speaking up herself.

"C'mon, Jeb. If you feel like you committed a crime, turn yourself in, go to jail. Don't wander around an abandoned airbase for three-and-a-half months! Don't beat yourself up over *IX*, it was as much Danbro's fault as yours."

Jeb's shoulders slumped. "Maybe---maybe you're right, but how can I help the Program any more? I drove it straight into the ground."

"I'm damn sure I'm right, otherwise I wouldn't even be here! Jeb, you're a fantastic asset to the Space Program. "

"I'm no Director. You saw first-hand the results of my policies."

"Maybe so, but you can't deny that your imagination and drive led us to soundly beat the CKFN to low orbit, and we very nearly beat them to the Mun as well!"

Joliana saw Jeb smile. It was a very faint smile, but a smile nonetheless.

"That's...that's true."

"By Harv, it's true!"

"But I caused *Uranus IX*. The kerbals at the Space Center and across the USKK won't accept me back."

"You'd be surprised as to what can be forgiven, Jeb. And besides, there's one more reason why we need you back at the Space Program."

Joliana saw Bob pull a photograph out of his pocket and show it to Jeb. By that kerbal's reaction, she could tell exactly what photograph it was: the CKFN's Jupiter rocket from earlier. She'd have to liberate that from Bob at some point, classified information like that certainly did not belong out in the field.

"Is that what I think it is?" asked Jeb, dumbfounded.

"It sure is. The CKFN launched a 2.5 meter rocket without any issues. Now do you see why we need you back? If the CKFN makes it to the Mun first, they'll establish a massive lead in space travel. Who knows what they'll find up there? Maybe the new territory will give them the confidence to declare war on the USKK and wipe us all out!"

Jeb snorted, then smiled a little bit more. "Don't you think that's just a bit unreasonable?"

"Maybe, but who really knows what's up up there? Besides, keeping the CKFN from establishing a monopoly over space travel will be good for everyone."

"Hah! You think they'd start selling meteor chunks or something?"

"At ridiculously steep prices, no doubt." Bob started chuckling, and Jeb joined in.

The former Director broke into a full smile. "You don't know how good it feels to laugh again. Maybe I really have been gone for too long. Bob, tell your assistant to fire up that jet of yours. I'm coming back to the Space Center!"

Bob grinned. "That's good, I wasn't going to leave until you said yes, you know. Wasn't looking forward to what you do for sleeping arrangements here..."

[uskk flag]:http://i.imgur.com/vMg8ySGt.png

[ckfn flag]:http://i.imgur.com/7ittO0xt.png

I had to cut a couple of sections a bit short and in order to actually publish this today, and didn't manage to take any pictures either. (the only thing more time-consuming than writing is designing a functional VTOL)

Still, I should be able to get those up in the next few days or so. Hope you enjoy the chapter!

Edited by CalculusWarrior

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW! This was such a riveting story! I know it's just Kerbal Space Program, but I legitimately LOVED the story! I seriously cannot wait for the whole thing! Also, have you considered greatly expanding upon your story? Like say, the USKK and the CKFN are in a race for Duna and eventually discover that there is a possibly habitable world orbiting Jool, and both nations enter a space race that dwarfs the post-Kold War race?

WOW! This was such a riveting story! I know it's just Kerbal Space Program, but I legitimately LOVED the story! I seriously cannot wait for the whole thing! Also, have you considered greatly expanding upon your story? Like say, the USKK and the CKFN are in a race for Duna and eventually discover that there is a possibly habitable world orbiting Jool, and both nations enter a space race that dwarfs the post-Kold War race?

I have plans for Kold War to continue all the way out to a Duna landing, after which it should draw to a nice conclusion. After that, well, I'll see about reception and whether people want moar story and do a 'sequel' type thing, including the rest of the Kerbol system. Of course, judging by the pace of my writing, you can expect that in roughly ten years (or SpaceX will land on Mars/Duna before the USKK and/or CKFN does! :P )

To answer the above two commenters' question, I basically had Grand Plans to write a whole bunch of Kold War a month or two ago over a short period, then post it slowly over the next few months. Unfortunately, real life got in the way, as well as writing more over a shorter period causes my (perceived, anyway) quality of writing to drop, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the way R​eturn turned out. Plus, a new semester's started, hooray!

I know you guys enjoy reading the story (and I'm surprised and humbled, you all have my thanks), so I'll definitely make writing more of a priority over the next little while. I can't promise super-regular updates, though! This is more like Brotoro's various series, you have to wait a while between installments, but when it does update you get a great deal of content. Also, the next few parts (and chapters, for that matter) are going to maintain in the geopolitical drama genre, as the Mun's not projected to be reached until the end of Chapter 5. Sensitive readers, turn away now :P

So until then, feel free to continue commenting here, all, to remind me to get off my lazy butt and actually write things!

PS: Welcome to the forums, and hope you enjoy your time here, USKK Space Command! (you honour me by the username choice) :)

Hello,CalculusWarrior

Do need help designing a working Vtol? Because i could possibly help in that department as a I am working on one at the moment.

I could make some stock craft files for you if you want, maybe some Titan IV or spy sat type stuff?

Many thanks for the offers, though I'm afraid I'll have to decline to both of you, I enjoy designing the crafts the nations use, and as a previous commenter noted, I aim for more of a kerbalized version of their real-life counterpart, rather than the actual Mercury, Gemini, etc. capsules. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for clever building solutions, or unorthodox usages of parts, so if you have any of those on-hand, I'd love to see them (or even use them in the story's ships, with proper credit to where it's due, of course).

Could You make a Free audio Book?:wink:

I neither have the voice nor desire for this particular format, I'm afraid. Hook up a Text-to-Speech reader to the ebook, and you'll be good to go! :P

When is this starting up again?

Very soon, I promise! In the meantime, enjoy the new-and-improved map of Kerbin. When looking back on the documents (I had to make a map for the next chapter), I realized that my map of Kerbin was from 2012, when Kerbin was evidently a bit different. It's been updated in the introduction, and here's the new version here as well:

zxyn0KF.jpg

It's resolution is actually really high (I think 2K), so it should be suitable for a desktop wallpaperâ€â€if anyone's interested, of course. ;)

Might I ask who has the rest of all that land?

Why reply with just words, when I can reply with a new update! (which in itself is mostly just words, but hey)

Basically, in the aftermath of the planet-wide war outlined in the Introduction, the once-great empires all across Kerbin fell apart into more simple, focused city-states (which I neglected to draw on the map). Of course, our favourite big nations, the CKFN and USKK did not fall apart and rather thrived with the collapse of their competition. However, this scenario does create some tension between the two, in which we'll see in this chapter, actually!

Enjoy!

7ittO0xt.png

CKFN: Space Facility, Danford's Office

Two Days Later

Danford leaned back in his chair. The term was nearly up for the CKFN's current President, and the entire country was preparing for the elections next week. With Jupiter coming along on schedule, a boilerplate of Aurora nearly finished, and work beginning on the Munar lander, Danford didn't have a whole lot to do. Thus, he sat idly in his spartan office, watching one of the most recent presidential debates on a small television set an intern had brought in.

So far, nothing terribly exciting had occurred, unless one counted the various insults the candidates spouted off at one another, of course.

All three candidates stood on a stage erected in some small town in the middle of the CKFN, bickering about today's topic. The candidate furthest to the left hailed from a more conservative-leaning political party, who strongly believed that altogether too much information was flowing between the USKK and CKFN, far more than should be tolerated (they were enemies after all, they had insisted), and demanded a complete border shutdown and an overall isolationist policy on the world stage.

The second candidate was more liberal, and believed that some trade should be opened between the two great powers, arguing that the CKFN could dominate the USKK economically, particularly if more attention was paid to upgrading and modernizing industrial sections in the southern half of the country. Unsurprisingly, this candidate hailed from that region, and no doubt had several kerbals with a great deal of self-interest in the region supporting his candidacy.

However, the final candidate was far more interesting to Danford. She spoke little of international relations, but was an enthusiastic supporter of the Space Programme. She found a way to bring up the subject nearly every debate she spoke in, and stressed that rather than attempting to out-compete the USKK on the Kerbin itself, the CKFN should do so in the skies above, by establishing a permanent kerballed presence in orbit. She empathized that the Space Programme was the way to the future of the CKFN, by research and developing new technologies, as well as exploring new worlds. Needless to say, she'd be getting Danford's vote.

Unfortunately, today's debate was about as far from the topic of space exploration as one could get, as the candidates were arguing whether or not current cabbage import legislation was too strict, too lenient, or should be abolished altogether. Wild tales of cabbage smugglers had been circulating around the CKFN for a few months now, of kerbals attempting to dodge the expensive import fees by making tremendous journeys across kilometres of open desert with their wares. Of course, more often than not, these tales were pure fiction or highly exaggerated, but the fact remained that the import fees were quite high, and there existed a significant demand for the goods.

To Danford, each candidate had entirely too strong of an opinion upon these cabbages, and he sorely wished they'd actually get back to talking about subject matter which did not cause their viewers to fall asleep (as most of the audience onscreen appeared to be napping). But the debates went on, for better or for worse. Finally, when Danford was on the verge of switching the television off altogether, his desk's telephone rang. Thrilled to have some form of distraction, he grabbed the receiver.

"Hello?"

The voice on the other end was deep and gruff and belonged to General Geoffnard. "Danford. I need you to come to the capital as soon as you can. The President has called an important Advisory Council meeting."

Danford's brow furrowed. "The President called the meeting? His term ends in three days, what's there to be said?"

"Circumstances have, ah, conspired to require a meeting. Listen, I can't brief you further over the phoneâ€â€USKK spies could be listeningâ€â€so get to the Capital. Immediately."

Glancing at the television, Danford saw that the cabbages debate was still in full swing. Compared to this, the mystery Advisory Council meeting would be heaven. "Sure thing, General," he responded, and hung up.

7ittO0xt.png

CKFN: Advisory Council Chambers, CKFN Capital

One Hour Later

As Danford walked into the Council room, he saw the other members were already seated. There was Bilcas, glaring at his watch; Bilfrod, shuffling papers nervously; the General, sitting ramrod-straight in his chair; and finally, the soon-to-be-former-President of the CKFN, seated at the head of the table and looking like he would much rather be at home enjoying a nice cup of tea.

"Now that everyone's arrived, we can begin," the General began. "Thank you all for coming on such short notice. Within several hours, this event will be all over the news, but I need to get the President's opinion as soon as possible."

Bilcas grunted. "I'm not particularly sure why you insisted on us all being here; surely if it's a matter for the President, it can be solved via personal communication?"

Geoffnard grimaced. "Not exactly. I feel getting everyone's opinion would give us an advantage in this situation. To be frank, two hours ago, the USKK invaded the sovereign state of Malentia."

You could hear a pin drop. Danford's mind was reeling. Peace had reigned supreme for the last twenty-four years on Kerbin, why was the USKK spoiling that with a Max-damned invasion? "You can't be serious," he found himself blurting out. "Wouldâ€â€would this mean a repeat of the Great War?"

"I'm afraid the situation is all too serious, but we may yet avoid war." responded the General. He unfurled a map of the region, southeast of the USKK. Additionally, Geoffnard had marked upon the map diagonal lines which showed the extent of the USKK's invasion, enveloping the entire country of Malentia.

VidCKPy.png

"Allow me to explain the background on this area for those unfamiliar." Danford saw the General glance towards him, and narrowed his eyes. No doubt the General was rolling out the history lesson because he was present. Danford wasn't an idiot, for Harv's sake, he remembered just as well as any kerbal what had gone on during the War.

Geoffnard began. "In the aftermath of the Great War, the full extent of the Malentian Isthmus was promised to the USKK in return for its liberation of several nation-states. However, the signing of the Treaty of Okheka in the final days of the war froze the borders of both the USKK and CKFN, and forbid either from adding more territory in the future, essentially nullifying this promise. The Treaty was signed to avoid precisely this sort of preying on the weaker nation-states, which I'm sure you all can recall was one of the primary causes of the War."

The General's eyes darkened. "In the event of such a breach of the Treaty, it called for the other nation to declare war upon the aggressor, in defense of the smaller nation. This was written in the hopes of forcing the other to back down. Ideally, this threat of mutual warfare would discourage either side from even trying to break the Treaty. Unfortunately, the USKK has evidently decided that the Treaty no longer applies to them, and has moved troops into Malentia."

He passed some grainy, black-and-white photographs across the table, clearly showing USKK tanks doing battle with an unidentified militia-type force. The President looked at them and sighed heavily.

"Has the USKK declared a casus belli? Do they have any sort of justification for this attack?"

"None officially, but I believe this was a diplomatic annexation gone bad. Malentia's leaders have long sought to join the USKK, but dissident factions may have started riots and popular movements against the current governing body, which led to the images you see here."

"Regardless of intent, the USKK still violated international law. I presume you called me in here to ask whether we will declare war in Malentia's defense?"

"That was indeed the purpose of this meeting, sir."

Again, the President sighed. "I can't condemn the nation to war, then leave office three days later. Nor will my successor have an easy time of it; the government typically takes months to reorganize when a new President enters office. It appears the USKK has lucked out in their timing of this invasion."

"Not luck, sir," the General stated. "The details of our elections are not exactly private, I believe it was very precise timing on their part which led to this invasion happening now, when they know we are unable to respond quickly."

The President massaged his temples. "So what are our options, then? Do we declare war? I was under the impression that most of the military is currently either disbanded or off patrolling the borders, and it would take a great deal of time to organize the forces." The President continued. "I suppose declaring war immediately, then taking some time to send an attack isn't out of the question."

Danford sat in disbelief. While certainly not eager about the whole thing, the President was discussing declaring a war which would undoubtedly consume most of the planet once again. And he did so while looking annoyed. Danford had always imagined a certain gravitas was present when discussing such matters, but he supposed reality never really did match up with what one saw in the movies, did it?

The General was now pacing at the front of the room. "Sir, if the USKK so wished, they could invade us during that interim period and force our surrender. Recent intelligence reports show that they have conducted alarmingly extensive modernizations and upgrades to their military, and I believe have the potential to strike a devastating blow against our nation."

"Surely they aren't so stupid as to attack us? It would take them weeks just to cross our defensive lines!"

"Sir, based upon the intelligence we have, their modern tanks can cover a great deal of ground, and can concentrate a great deal of firepower on a single point. Static defenses won't last long against the USKK's armies. Also, there is the matter of aircraft, whose military application is still poorly understood, but which could easily overwhelm us."

The President was silent. "So what is it you're saying? We don't declare war?"

"As always, the final decision is up to you, sir, but my recommendation is to allow the USKK to continue. Entering a war which the defender wants to lose with an unprepared military is just not strategically sound. Besides, it has been over twenty years since the Treaty, and one could argue that it may need some readjustments based upon the events which have occurred over the past two decades. Naturally, I recommend condemning the USKK at our earliest opportunity; they should certainly not get away with this scott-free."

"I agree, Geoffnard, thank you," the President stated. Around the table, Danford could see the other council members nodding their heads in agreement. He continued. "Does anyone else have an opinion on this development?"

Bilcas cleared his throat. "If we are to let this incident go without taking military action, well it sets a bit of a precedent, doesn't it?"

Evidently confused by Bilcas' vague statement, the General responded angrily. "A precedent for future invasions by the USKK?"

"Not necessarily. If the Treaty of Okheka is truly null and void, why any nation could then annex its neighbors…if it so wished, of course." Bilcas clarified, smiling in a bit of a conspiratorial manner.

"…I see," remarked the General. "This will no doubt have to be more clearly defined in the future, though. Thoughts on the Finance Minister's words, sir?" he asked, turning to the President, who was looking thoughtful.

Standing up, the President responded. "All I can say is I believe the CKFN's current borders to be sufficient for our prosperity. A re-evaluation of those will have to be a question to ask my successor. Now, if that's everything, I very much wish to get home. It's been altogether too long of a term in office."

7ittO0xt.png

CKFN: Front Steps of Legislative Buildings, CKFN Capital

Four Days Later

Danford stood in the centre of the CKFN's capital, in front of the main governmental buildings, where a cheering crowd had gathered. Fortunately, he was not speaking to them today, giving as many speeches as he'd had for the Space Programme had made him rather sick of the whole thing. Still, today's speech would certainly be interesting, though the content of the speech did not nearly interest him as much as the speaker herself, or rather what her future policies hopefully would contain.

As Adming Kerman, the space-loving Presidential candidate had won the election, not quite by a landslide, but by a significant margin which evidently reflected the public's enthusiasm for space travel. He smiled. It must mean he was doing a pretty good job at the Programme, if the public voted for a candidate who promised to make advancements in that area!

She began to speak, reciting grand words no doubt memorized the night before, but still impressive. For the most part though, it was a pretty generic 'thank you for electing me' speech, but the last few segments caught his interest.

"For as you all know, in a vile and despicable move, the USKK has invaded the sovereign state of Malentia with overwhelming force, and we are unable to intervene. We can only condemn them for such a shameful act of destroying the twenty-three-year peace we all have worked so hard to maintain since the Great War!"

At this condemnation of their rival nation, the audience let out a cheer. Danford suspected that this didn't mean much; if the President got them riled up enough, the crowd would probably cheer for anything. Still, there was something to be said about the national pride the President was inspiring. The previous President never was one for grand speeches and usually preferred to work on things such as cabbage legislation, much less visible or accessible to the public.

"Indeed, our great nation is focused upon greater achievements, ones which will bring the CKFN into the future! Take Danford Kerman here, his crew at the Space Programme are reaching for the very stars themselves, reaching to bring us all a better tomorrow!"

Again, the crowd went wild, and Danford gave a little wave, once again amazed by the positive opinion of the Space Programme. One would expect that kerbals would be distrustful of his agency after the USKK demonstrated the deadly consequences of rocket failure, but these kerbals didn't seem to be thinking about that at all. Truly, understanding public opinion was a more difficult task than rocket science.

As the President continued her speech to the crowd, Danford looked skyward to where the Mun was rising above the horizon. He imagined kerbals walking on that body, clad in space suits and planting the flag of the CKFN proudly, to show the world the fantastic achievement they'd attained, which would be talked about for years, and no doubt live on throughout history as kerbalkind's first step out from their home planet.

Bringing his gaze back down to Kerbin, he reflected upon the road he'd need to travel to get to that future. The Space Programme faced a few issues, certainly, but he was confident that this new political regime would allow for those to be smoothed over quickly enough, he was certain.

Things were looking up!

Wow... I'm expecting a bay of pigs incident in the next update?

And CFKN all the way, will there be any space stations?

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I say the Kuban missile crisis?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, have both nations developed nuclear weapons?

Neither nation has developed nuclear weapons...yet. To say more would spoil future storyline plans, though! :)

Neither nation has developed nuclear weapons...yet. To say more would spoil future storyline plans, though! :)

But-But-But you said they almost annihilated eachother! It's pretty much stated in the prologue that there was a ww3 scale conflict that almost cause extinction of all kerbal kind! Although...You could make a space station that has missiles docked to it and the would be full of explosives or fuel or something and they could be drop from orbit and maybe make some minor adjustments in flight and bam! like a nuke: all the fun, none of the fallout. Although it would probably require very precise orbital alignment, timing, and aiming to be able to use a 'rods from the gods' style weapon

Edited by Generalstarwars333

But-But-But you said they almost annihilated eachother! It's pretty much stated in the prologue that there was a ww3 scale conflict that almost cause extinction of all kerbal kind! Although...You could make a space station that has missiles docked to it and the would be full of explosives or fuel or something and they could be drop from orbit and maybe make some minor adjustments in flight and bam! like a nuke: all the fun, none of the fallout. Although it would probably require very precise orbital alignment, timing, and aiming to be able to use a 'rods from the gods' style weapon

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement! ;) I see the Great War as a World War I-style scenario fought with almost World War II-era technology, rather than a WWIII scenario. Still, it wrecked vast sections of Kerbin's populations and regions, and thus that's why we've not been hearing much from those city-states on the opposite side of the planet, as I imagine that most of the battles were fought there. As for the nukes issue, there are, shall we say, other ways to use radioactive material rather than in a bomb; radiation in sufficient quantities does not agree with living creatures, be they human or kerbal. The USKK and CKFN are just the empires which managed to avoid most of the conflict, and secure their position on the world stage while their immediate rivals were, ah, preoccupied.

That all being said, I'm trying to reveal story elements slowly, to heighten suspense. Unfortunately this does not work very well when writing a serial-styled story, rather than a novel which is published all in one go. As such, you may see a little bit of inconsistency between the first few chapters written a year and a half ago, when I was under the impression that the entire story would be about ten or fifteen updates long, and the current chapters, written while keeping story themes I've come up with in the interim in mind.

Of course, I will go back and edit, add content, and no doubt take a new set of pictures for all chapters, and publish them in a nice readable format once I'm done. Yes, that's right folks, I'm going to pull a George Lucas on you! 'Kold War Special Edition', here we come! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.