[0.90.0] The Bolt-On Mission Probe (BOMP) revival thread

jinks

What the heck are BOMPs?

Bolt-On Mission Probes are unmanned command modules or probe cores. They have been created by Ted in a time when the currently available probe cores didn't yet exist.

Since then they have kind of fallen by the wayside. Ted is certainly occupied with his job as QA Lead at Squad and when stock probe cores were added, BOMPs weren't needed so sorely any more.

When partconfigs got updated, KSP gained features and the landscape changed, BOMPs stopped working.

Updating the config files to make them compatible with 0.23.5 wasn't such a big deal, but I didn't want to keep them all to myself.

So I contacted Ted to ask him if I could redistribute them, and he informed me that they were originally released under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0. That was great news and I can now present to you all a revived and 0.23.5+ compatible set of BOMPs.

The stats are pretty much in line with the stock probe cores.

Why would I use a BOMP instead of a standard probe core?

• You remember them from when they were the only option and are a bit nostalgic.
  • You think they are prettier than the standard probe cores. (Hint: They are!)
  • You need a 3.75m stack probe core.
  • You just feel like it.

Where can I get my very own set of BOMPs?

Download the latest release over at

What does a BOMP look like?

BOMPs.png

From left to right: BOMP-XL (3.75m), BOMP-L (2.5m), BOMP-Mini (1.25m), BOMP-Nano (0.625m).

Enjoy!

Edited by jinks
Update for 0.90

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, but don't these look nice. I've wanted inline probe cores (especially for my lifter bodies) and a .625m for a while. Thanks for making these available.

[EDIT: GASP! The sheer size of these files means I might pass on installing them in certain mod-heavy builds. I know these are old parts with new configs, but 45MB for four probe cores is kind of prohibitive. I might use them in builds that are mostly stock.]

Edited by HeadHunter67

• 1 month later...
[EDIT: GASP! The sheer size of these files means I might pass on installing them in certain mod-heavy builds. I know these are old parts with new configs, but 45MB for four probe cores is kind of prohibitive. I might use them in builds that are mostly stock.]

Yeah, the texture files are quite heavy. They're made with a really old copy of KSP, probably before .pngs were even an option. Like I said, I didn't make them, I just updated the .cfgs.

I'll give a converted version a try. This one's just 2.4MB, but I have no idea if it'll actually save memory. Nonetheless pngs are probably easier to work with if someone want to reduce the textures.

Get it from GitHub or Curse.

Ooh, pretty probes..

Regarding texture size - won't Active Texture Management handle them? Or will that barely make a dent? I don't care either way, these are going in! :D

EDIT: Hmm.. I notice that the cfgs contain

module = CommandPod

Shouldn't that be Part? AFAIK, all other parts are..

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

• 4 months later...

Hmm.. I notice that the cfgs contain

module = CommandPod

Shouldn't that be Part? AFAIK, all other parts are..

I guess KSP doesn't really care. Considering how old these configs are, the tiny amount of maintenance required is quite astonishing.

Anyway... fixed in the 0.25 version.

I also tweaked the cost end entryCost a bit to be closer to SQUAD probes.

Have fun with the new version. (OP links updated) :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a MM config for 0.90 compatibility. It makes all BOMPs the equivalent of the highest tier probe cores i.e. with the full range of SAS options. Mainly because they look high tech so they should act high tech :) No other changes to the 0.25 update, the cost/unlock tech etc are all the same as that because they're still well balanced. This just makes them work nicely.

@PART[BOMP*]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleSAS]
{
%SASServiceLevel = 3
}
}

Long live BOMPs! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to make an official new version for 0.90. (OP updated accordingly.)

I went a bit of a different route than ObsessedWithKSP's MM config. The probes are a bit more spread out and have different capabilities.

I'm not quite sure it'll remain this way... have to test more. In some way I like that there's at least a bit of difference in the probes, on the other hand now it's not purely an aesthetic choice any more which probe to use.

We'll see how this pans out over time I guess. For now enjoy your shiny BOMPs :D

• 2 months later...

this is by far my most used small parts pack for KSP, I don't know if you're still active or not but if you have no plans to update this I think I will do it for myself and maybe share it up on here if thats all cool with you? really starting to miss using these things.

I should be going through the configs and sorting it all out over the next few days, just need to finish off my current project and I'll get on it,

one thing though, from what I've seen of the one I've sorted out already (the mini) the material of the texture seems to have been changed to specular somehow instead of diffuse so they look a bit... odd, and shiny when they shouldn't be, no idea why and I don't really have the capacity to change that

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 10:46 PM, Gaiiden said:

works fine in KSP v1.1 release with the node patch from the post above

Whoops! Hold up, found a typo in the node patch:

@PART[BOMPL]
{
   @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.13, 0.0, 0.0, =1.0, 0.0, 2
   @node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.13, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
}

Change that =1.0 to -1.0 or KSP will choke on part load

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.