Star Trek Mirror Mirror tech the "Agony Booth"

Pawelk198604

Scientists are trying to make real a lot of technology from Star Trek.

Mobile phone was inspired by Star Trek, so I'm curious when the Agony Booth become real :D

I saw it original star trek and ENT,

I beet that CIA and FSB would be in heaven if they have such "invention" on their disposal:D

we had portable radios in ww2. these were heavy backpack units. by the korean war we got these down to about the size of a cat. then came the civilian equivalent. the rise of digital circuits in the 70s and 80s brought digital technology into consumer devices. then someone got the idea of building a tower, jacking into the telephone networks and charging you an arm and a leg to make phone calls on your radio (the first cell phone). then cheap microcontrollers in the 90s killed the analog cell phones and pure digital came into being, then the evolution of the arm processor and the decreasing size of semiconductor devices resulted in the modern smart phone. it was a fairly natural progression that would have occurred with or without star trek. the base technologies already existed, they just needed to be miniaturized.

Scientists are trying to make real a lot of technology from Star Trek.

[citation needed]

The "technology" in Star Trek was invented by script writers, not people with a technical background. For example, the "transporter beam" was invented to save on on production costs, as it meant they could use less effects shots of space ships and just magic the actors from one scene to another with a cheap camera trick.

Correlation does not imply causation. (Damn, I love that phrase)

Yes, ST does have a good prediction of the future, but it probably doesn't make our scientists want to recreate its tech, with the exception of Alcubierre

I would love to see working transporter beam, but I know that it is scientifically impossible.

I watched prof. Michio Kaku talked about it on Discovery Channel.

As for "Agony Booth" it's probably Guantanamo bay staff dreamed Christmas gift:D

^its exactly what it sounds like.

one thing star trek never got right: why make the tricorder and communicator different devices? we see smart phones now with some pretty top notch sensor tech.

Oh, we could build one right now if we needed it. Essentially, it's a way of causing intense pain without physical damage. Using magnetic fields to induce a current in your brain's pain center would do it.

That's fine for punishment, but if your goal was interrogation I suspect you'd get even better results with stimulating the pleasure center long enough to cause addiction, then taking it away.

Why don't we? Aiming the fields takes a long time for each person and currently requires the subject's active cooperation. The initial rough aim requires some form of active brain scan (like an MRI), as our brains aren't all exactly the same shape. But if you have tech like transporters, agony booths would be trivial.

Instead, bad guys put their efforts into designing forms of torture that don't leave marks, like waterboarding.

//okay, now I can't stop thinking of horrible tortures one could do with access to transporter tech. Think your kidney stones were bad? Try this chain of tiny caltrops! :( Time to find a happier thread!

one thing star trek never got right: why make the tricorder and communicator different devices?

Because the idea of packing a dozen different devices into the phone would have seemed quite bizarre to them. remember: this was long before the age of extreme miniaturisation of today. We lived in a world of almost exclusively single-use devices: phone, camera, TV, tape-recorder, gramophone etc, etc. All these devices were bulky and heavy and couldn't be combined without ending up as heavy as the two original devices - so a camera built into a phone would weigh as much as much as a phone and a camera, and it would be a poor phone because of the weight of the camera and a poor camera because of the weight of the phone. (Building cameras into phones only became sensible when the cameras became digital and able to send images electronically.) There were combination devices such as the Swiss Army Knife, but the age of combination sound systems (radio/record-player/tape-deck) had only just begun, and all examples were non-portable, living-room equipment.

Actually naming a device as a tricorder and suggesting it used three whole different sensing systems was truly sci-fi-whackjob stuff by the standards of the day, and about as much as they could get away with before sounding silly.

The movie In Like Flint, from the same time, used the idea as a joke. The superspy hero had a cigarette lighter that had 70-something different functions.

But you couldn't play games on it, so we win, right? ;)

• 3 years later...

well there were people who were inspired by the pain box from dune. had alternating heating and cooling elements that you put your hand on. the heat differential isnt that great nor is it very much heat, but its enough to trick your nervous system into thinking its on fire. full body version and you got an agony booth. 

22 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Necroposting time :D 

What do you think does we even invent Agony Booth :D 

No. We are going to skip right past to the next better thing, and people are going to have them put on all voluntarily. Think having your brain connected directly to the Internet, and vice versa. Elon Musk's Neuralink is working hard to make the neural lace from sir Iain M. Banks' Culture series a reality. The ultimate smart phone, which Banks himself portrayed as the ultimate torture device, it was the crown jewel in GCU Grey Area's collection of those. There won't be even any need to attain physical presence with the torturee, just log/break in to his/her brain and start up whatever horror script you feel like bestowing on the hapless victim...

1 hour ago, monophonic said:

No. We are going to skip right past to the next better thing, and people are going to have them put on all voluntarily. Think having your brain connected directly to the Internet, and vice versa. Elon Musk's Neuralink is working hard to make the neural lace from sir Iain M. Banks' Culture series a reality. The ultimate smart phone, which Banks himself portrayed as the ultimate torture device, it was the crown jewel in GCU Grey Area's collection of those. There won't be even any need to attain physical presence with the torturee, just log/break in to his/her brain and start up whatever horror script you feel like bestowing on the hapless victim...

That really scary :-(

On 4/29/2014 at 8:39 AM, Seret said:

[citation needed]

The "technology" in Star Trek was invented by script writers, not people with a technical background. For example, the "transporter beam" was invented to save on on production costs, as it meant they could use less effects shots of space ships and just magic the actors from one scene to another with a cheap camera trick.

Certainly there were plenty of engineers inspired by Star Trek, and certainly more few gimicks that they still want.  I remember somebody selling a hand held oscilloscope under the tag "Mr. Sulu, I believe you dropped something."

Between the original posting (2014) and now there have been multiple articles on creation of medical tricorders (sic*), and I'm sure there are efforts to copy even more of their toys.

* the tricorder was a device Mr. Spock used to analyze the atmosphere and other planetary analysis.  The device in the articles is either the thing attached to sick bay beds that displayed vital signs (presumably, never explained) in real time or the "23rd century stethoscope" that McCoy would wave over a patient to determine "he's dead, Jim".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.